False Advertising - Class Action Lawsuit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you certainly would not get by with a leaf. In a few years EV ranges will be 500 plus and the range issue will start to fade
It's their inability to address battery degradation that is the problem. We have a 25 year old Landcruiser on the drive outside - it's looking tatty these days but it's still capable of doing everything it did the day it was delivered - and the only maintenance it's had in all that time was oil changes and new brakes.

Martin

I am prepared to be shouted down by the fan club but I really feel like I have been sold a bill of goods with this vehicle. It is advertised as a car that can be driven on electric for 20 miles and THEN driven on gas. If you live in a northern climate, this is just not the case. If I lived in Florida, I would love this car. I love it in the summer.

In New York state, this is a gas car for 6 months of the year. It is just now occasionally starting to run on battery in the first five minutes of driving. It starts the engine with no cabin heating turned on (the system off completely), the EV button set before moving and in ECO mode. I know this is a frustration for many because I see it on this forum. This is just not right. I bought this car for the savings through electricity vs. gas and for the environmental benefit. I am greatly disappointed by how much I have unnecessarily polluted with this car and I am very disappointed by how much money I am now wasting from paying for gas vs electricity I generate from solar panels.

I think that enough people have this issue that we should hold Mitsubishi accountable. Am I crazy that all they would need to do if they are really concerned about cold engine starts is wait until the battery is at say 20% and then start the engine? This car can drive on all battery. It has good torque if you need to speed up quickly. Why not wait until you might actually need the engine to start it? But they don't care. Mitsubishi really stinks. Anybody else want to hold them accountable or do we just want to make excuses for them and allow them (and all other companies that sell PHEVs that seem to do the same in the cold) to rip us off?
I would be happy to join you and others in this pursuit of being compensated for a vehicle that does not perform as described as well as the way we were treated when bringing this issue to Mitsubishis attention.

I have multiple documents and a paper trail of the entire miserable experience.

Please reach out in a PM if you decide to proceed.

They need to sort out battery life or cheaper battery replacements, otherwise a car which is eight years old will become worthless once the battery starts to fade

2014 vehicle are still on the road without any problems, less EV mileage but still running strong.
Once the battery reach around 60% it don't fade any further or fast.

I also tried a recommended strategy of turning on the car (without brake pedal pressed), hitting EV mode and then pressing brake pedal to start the car again. Didn't work - engine came on immediately (with heater off).
Wow, interesting...sorry to hear that! Do you park outside overnight, or in a garage? Maybe if the car/battery is cold soaked way below freezing then the ICE turn-on can't be defeated (I park in my garage overnight which never drops below freezing, usually about 40°F in there).

Since Mitsu didn't bother with a battery-powered battery heater (like a full EV would have)...don't want to torture your battery if it's a solid frozen block of lithium ice...

2014 vehicle are still on the road without any problems, less EV mileage but still running strong.
Once the battery reach around 60% it don't fade any further or fast.
Not sure about that - our 2014 PHEV was down to little more than 12 miles range - even in the summer.

Martin

Not sure about that - our 2014 PHEV was down to little more than 12 miles range - even in the summer.

Martin
Yea around 50% then, do you have the exact state of health?
Your vehicle is not worthless though, like the guy said right?

Yea around 50% then, do you have the exact state of health?
Your vehicle is not worthless though, like the guy said right?
No, no SOH - we bought a Nissan. It was not worthless - we got about £6000 trade-in against a new X-Trail.

The trouble is that when the range gets down to 12 miles, it is not really a viable EV, but lugging that heavy battery round impacts on its visibility as a petrol car.

Martin

Back