False Advertising - Class Action Lawsuit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain. I was incredibly frustrated with my 2023 Outlander PHEV (bought in January for use in Northern Minnesota). It almost never ran on EV and was essentially a gas car. Going to the dealership essentially had them talking to me like a 6-year-old telling me that I didn't understand how PHEVs work despite my telling them that my other car is a PHEV I've used in the same climate for over 5 years now (my 2018 Honda Clarity is amazing). If you think it's bad in NY, try living in Northern Minnesota!

I too do not see the reason for the ICE to come on when temps are above freezing and the battery is full. I absolutely expect the range to drop significantly in winter, but the whole point of my getting an EV was that my commute to work is only about 5 miles and I expected to drive exclusively on EV except when I went on a longer road trip. That's how it has worked with my Clarity PHEV for the past five years.

It's Mits specific and I assume it's in their algorithms to somehow protect the battery, but I too felt I was sold a bill of goods.

Having said that, I really do love the vehicle when it operates as I would expect during our three monthsof summer.
We should form a support group! Kidding of course but it is nice to find some people who actually understand the problem and don't just try to treat you like an idiot or whiner. This is a real problem that cause this vehicle to not behave as advertised. It is not a phev for much of the year because plugging it in offers no benefit.

Just do my forced engine shut off and you guys will have an fully electric vehicle for short distances.
Using it for third winter now and no issues at all.

Pure Electric Vehicle Mod - Hack. Stop ICE (engine) kick-in (heating acceleration & cold).
And again look at the lengths we would need to go to get this thing to act like any normal person would expect it to out of the box.

I really have no interest in digging around in the guts of the car and voiding any warranties but I TRULY appreciate you providing this information for those who want to try.

I can't answer for later models but I have been using the car exactly as you want to for the past 7.5 years without any difficulty - so I have no reason to join any class action. I also doubt that there are many users outside N America who would agree with you about a "Northern climate".

The problem is that, where you live doesn't have a maritime climate like most European and Japanese customers (and of course the Aussies & Kiwis live in perpetual sunshine, lol). You are even colder on average than the US West Coast so a PHEV (or EV) is never going to perform as well for you. :idea:

I doubt there are enough potential customers in your geographical region to justify Mitsu changing a design which otherwise fits for most of the rest of the 1st world.
This is my routjne on my 2024 Mitsubishi Outlander LE PHEV. When I shut the car off I make sure the heater temperature is off. Then when I start it I turn on one pedal driving. EV mode and ECO mode on the transmission. Lastly I turn on the cab heater. I live where it can get to 40 below, the engine will not start if you follow this routine and what a royal pan in the butt. Hello car company ever hear of default settings. Maybe a software update is in order!!!!! The remote start as an app ony phone truly sucks too!!!

And again look at the lengths we would need to go to get this thing to act like any normal person would expect it to out of the box.

I really have no interest in digging around in the guts of the car and voiding any warranties but I TRULY appreciate you providing this information for those who want to try.
Malfunctioning relay won't void warranty... just saying.

This is my routjne on my 2024 Mitsubishi Outlander LE PHEV. When I shut the car off I make sure the heater temperature is off. Then when I start it I turn on one pedal driving. EV mode and ECO mode on the transmission. Lastly I turn on the cab heater. I live where it can get to 40 below, the engine will not start if you follow this routine and what a royal pan in the butt. Hello car company ever hear of default settings. Maybe a software update is in order!!!!! The remote start as an app ony phone truly sucks too!!!
I have tried this in Minnesota and the moment I hit the "Start/Stop" button, the engine turns on like a gas car before I can even hit the EV mode or ECO buttons. I also tried a recommended strategy of turning on the car (without brake pedal pressed), hitting EV mode and then pressing brake pedal to start the car again. Didn't work - engine came on immediately (with heater off).

FWIW there is a "trick" (described on this website and elsewhere) that works most of the time, to keep it in EV mode, especially helpful for short trips. Power w/ no brake (ACC mode) > EV Mode > Power with brake (on/Ready) > Drive...don't adjust regen or hvac

Off the main topic but do you happen to know if there’s a similar trick for models without an EV button, please? I’ll try with my Eco button to see.

I understand just fine that this car is capable of driving on battery alone and can in cold conditions. In fact, it did for the first year except at under 25 degrees. I wouldn't even have a big problem with that. I don't think that starting the engine at 40 degrees makes any sense. I don't think your criticism makes any sense.

And yes car makers whose cars don't work as promised should be held accountable including drastically missing their mpg estimate. I have a Prius and if it got 30 mpg, I would be equally angry. It doesn't because it works as it should. Wasn't Volkswagen recently sued for mpg lies?

I certainly understand the constraints of ev technology in northern climates and am perfectly willing to live with reduced range. What I can't live with is burning gas AND getting terrible range.

Just because all phevs sell the same myth is not a reason to not hold them accountable. It is more reason to.

I did a ton of research on this car including confirming through videos that cold weather Canadian users could drive in ev from the start.
I really felt this way with our first PHEV (2020 Outlander). I also discovered the relationship between outside temperature and battery saving behaviour. Our 2023 is much better in so many ways. It apparently has a more insulated battery and so is able to use EV in colder conditions. I’ve noticed you have to have the AC button “OFF” or it will started tbe ICE motor. Also we geographically in a mild climate (Vancouver Island) with rarely temperatures below 0 deg Celsius

I have tried this in Minnesota and the moment I hit the "Start/Stop" button, the engine turns on like a gas car before I can even hit the EV mode or ECO buttons. I also tried a recommended strategy of turning on the car (without brake pedal pressed), hitting EV mode and then pressing brake pedal to start the car again. Didn't work - engine came on immediately (with heater off).
You are not alone, I tried all of these so called remedies for over 4 years, nothing worked. Our PHEV became a low mpg Prius in the mild PNW winter. The only solution was to sell it and buy a vehicle that worked as advertised. Now I’m finally happy.

You are not alone, I tried all of these so called remedies for over 4 years, nothing worked. Our PHEV became a low mpg Prius in the mild PNW winter. The only solution was to sell it and buy a vehicle that worked as advertised. Now I’m finally happy.
I did the same. What did you buy?

Pay attention to whether the auto light is on or off on the heater switch. It has been abnormally warm here in Alberta so I cannot comment on cold weather yet. That and I have a heated garage!

We bought a leaf and we love it. You see how many of us bought a product with reasonable expectations of how it would work and it did not. As a result, we took a financial loss by having to purchase different vehicles that actually work. Not right.

We bought a leaf and we love it. You see how many of us bought a product with reasonable expectations of how it would work and it did not. As a result, we took a financial loss by having to purchase different vehicles that actually work. Not right.
I luckily sold mine for a reasonable price. It was a nice car but I will never trust Mitsubish again and make a point of linking, when I see marketing with comments, this forum and a few other sites that support the idea that Mitsubishi is misleading at sales and combative at warranty and service.

We bought a Nissan X-Trail ePower e4orce - and it is wonderful. No pretense at being an EV or PHEV - it's a petrol car with an electric transmission. The level of equipment is fantastic, the handling excellent and the fuel economy is similar to what we were getting out of the Mitsubishi - better on a long run because it is not hauling around a heavy battery that is contributing nothing to the journey.

Martin

If you don't need the size and range of a hybrid SUV, then the Leaf probably makes sense. We had a new Ford Explorer EV reserved - actually went to see one of the early prototypes. It was a nice car, but our interest waned when we discussed range and battery life expectancy. The realistic range on the date of delivery was only just enough to meet our needs and Ford were not prepared to offer any meaningful guarantee against battery degradation. It could have lost 50% of its range within the warranty period and that would not have been covered - but with 50% of the range gone, it would not have met our needs.

Shortly after we cancelled our reservation, Ford postponed the first shipments indefinitely while they reviewed the battery design - the last message I received from them read "We're expecting the first opportunities to test drive to follow in the summer." When we went to the launch event, many people with vehicles reserved were expressing dissatisfaction with the battery warranty. They didn't bother to ask why we had cancelled the reservation - I think they had got the message.

If you don't need the size and range of a hybrid SUV, then the Leaf probably makes sense. We had a new Ford Explorer EV reserved - actually went to see one of the early prototypes. It was a nice car, but our interest waned when we discussed range and battery life expectancy. The realistic range on the date of delivery was only just enough to meet our needs and Ford were not prepared to offer any meaningful guarantee against battery degradation. It could have lost 50% of its range within the warranty period and that would not have been covered - but with 50% of the range gone, it would not have met our needs.

Shortly after we cancelled our reservation, Ford postponed the first shipments indefinitely while they reviewed the battery design - the last message I received from them read "We're expecting the first opportunities to test drive to follow in the summer." When we went to the launch event, many people with vehicles reserved were expressing dissatisfaction with the battery warranty. They didn't bother to ask why we had cancelled the reservation - I think they had got the message.
To be clear we do still have the outlander as a gas car for trips out of range. Makes us realize how little we need that extra range. Maybe two or three times a year.

To be clear we do still have the outlander as a gas car for trips out of range. Makes us realize how little we need that extra range. Maybe two or three times a year.
And there is the difference - our primary usage is a return journey of around 220 miles every week with no easy opportunity to recharge.

Martin

And there is the difference - our primary usage is a return journey of around 220 miles every week with no easy opportunity to recharge.

Martin
Yes you certainly would not get by with a leaf. In a few years EV ranges will be 500 plus and the range issue will start to fade

Back