Fuel usage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WAH64 said:
MikkB said:
No it doesn't. And nor does pressing the EV button inhibit the ICE from starting due to cold temperatures.

I am surprised you say that. In my 2017 model the EV mode certainly does inhibit the ICE from starting in the winter temperatures we typically see in the UK.

Take for example a day when the ambient temperature is +2 C and my heater is selected Auto at +22 C. If I leave EV selected off when selecting Power on, the ICE will start within a couple of seconds. However, if I select Power on and within a second select EV mode then the ICE will not start until the drive battery is depleted down to one bar.

For this reason, it would be much better if the EV selection was “sticky” as mentioned by others
Plus 2 is hardly winter. The older models can also be run without ICE from 7 or 8 deg C. But when it gets colder, it will throw in the ICE. So says the Dutch Mitsubishi website. They have not removed the problem. They have shifted it.

anko said:
WAH64 said:
MikkB said:
No it doesn't. And nor does pressing the EV button inhibit the ICE from starting due to cold temperatures.

I am surprised you say that. In my 2017 model the EV mode certainly does inhibit the ICE from starting in the winter temperatures we typically see in the UK.

Take for example a day when the ambient temperature is +2 C and my heater is selected Auto at +22 C. If I leave EV selected off when selecting Power on, the ICE will start within a couple of seconds. However, if I select Power on and within a second select EV mode then the ICE will not start until the drive battery is depleted down to one bar.

For this reason, it would be much better if the EV selection was “sticky” as mentioned by others
Plus 2 is hardly winter. The older models can also be run without ICE from 7 or 8 deg C. But when it gets colder, it will throw in the ICE. So says the Dutch Mitsubishi website. They have not removed the problem. They have shifted it.

Hi Anko, I was not meaning to imply that +2 C was a lower limit, I was just citing a typical UK winter day. The coldest ambient at which I have started my PHEV is -2 C and the EV button inhibits engine start at that temperature. I have no reason to believe it wouldn’t do the same at -15 C just hasn’t been that cold here.

I can confirm that my 2018 PHEV does in fact start the ICE when it is lower than -15'C currently -24'C as of this morning.

I turned off the heater before shutting down last night. Power On the PHEV pressed EV ..... EV was disabled by the System and the ICE ran for 4 minutes befor EV was available again.

I need to do more testing on when and why the ICE starts when I ask it to use EV Mode only.

I may start a new thread when I find some answers.

PHEV07 said:
I can confirm that my 2018 PHEV does in fact start the ICE when it is lower than -15'C currently -24'C as of this morning.

I turned off the heater before shutting down last night. Power On the PHEV pressed EV ..... EV was disabled by the System and the ICE ran for 4 minutes befor EV was available again.

I need to do more testing on when and why the ICE starts when I ask it to use EV Mode only.

I may start a new thread when I find some answers.
The answers are in your owners manual, PHEV07. Lithium battery chemistry has the same 'comfort zone' as humans. As they're chemical cells, and as chemistry slows dramatically when cold, the ICE must run in order to heat the battery so that any EV mode is possible. Since this is primarily an electric drive car (unless in parallel mode the only drive method is the electric motors) the batteries must be warm enough to operate without damage.

Preheating the cabin and battery from shore power will help. The cells are installed in the battery box in blocks of 10 - that's a lot of mass to bring up to a useful temperature from a standing start.

WAH64 said:
Hi Anko, I was not meaning to imply that +2 C was a lower limit, I was just citing a typical UK winter day..
I was not meaning to imply that you were ;) . I was just saying that maybe your typical winter day may not be 'winter enough' to determine whether EV priority will prevent heating related ICE starts under all conditions.

anko said:
WAH64 said:
Hi Anko, I was not meaning to imply that +2 C was a lower limit, I was just citing a typical UK winter day..
I was not meaning to imply that you were ;) . I was just saying that maybe your typical winter day may not be 'winter enough' to determine whether EV priority will prevent heating related ICE starts under all conditions.
I agree.

Looks like PHEV07 based in Winnipeg Canada will be able to give us the answer. So far we know EV mode inhibits the ICE at -2 C and does not inhibit the ICE at -24 C. It will be interesting to discover where the threshold is.

Back