Goodbyeeeee

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine 6 weeks, done about 1500 miles and have been to the petrol station twice. First time was the day I got it when I filled it up, second was when I then went back about 3 weeks later. I still had more than half a tank at that point but just wanted to fill it up again to enable a brim to brim accurate measurement of mpg. I now still have between a half and three quarters of a tank left, so for me the size of the fuel tank is absolutely not an issue.

Even on a long journey, a 10 gallon tank will take you 350-400 miles. I can't believe its a big problem that people aren't prepared to stop for 10 minutes and fill up every 5 hours ? Appreciate a small minority might, but for the vast majority of PHEV owners I doubt that the size of the fuel tank is top of the list of concerns.

I agree with you all, that personal choice, and requirements, play a major part in all of this.

As I've said before, my car is a work tool and is now showing 5500 miles in less than 2 months. My comment about the battery and tank sizes for the next facelift was not aimed at reducing the EV range, far from it, I hope better battery technology allows far greater distance from a slightly smaller battery so a bigger fuel tank can be fitted. My MD drives a BMW X5 PHEV, yet he tells me his fuel tank is around 60 litres, so the fill ups are far less frequent.

I have averaged over 40,000 miles a year for more than 25 years, so I learnt long ago that stopping for a few minutes every 100 miles or so is vital, it's just that having to fill up so frequently is a pain.

Some may say that I have the wrong car, but I say that the motorway cruising ability combined with the use of Saved EV power in the city at the other end, makes it nearly ideal, especially for Inner London.

This coming week is going to be the perfect challenge as I am making a fairly typical road trip for work. Bearing in mind my Office is in Hitchin, 11 miles from home, and I will leave with a fully charged battery, over three days (with two nights in hotels) I have appointments in Doncaster, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton and Birmingham. In either of my last two diesel MPV's I would have averaged around 45 mpg and had to refuel once. In my PHEV I'm hoping for nearly 40 and will have to fill up twice.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I now have both feet just in the green field and when the Kodiaq arrives I shall be rolling in the grass with a broad grin on my face! :D (but it won't be the PHEV version!) ;)

Back