Heated Windscreen - UK Models?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore said:
jaapv said:
raymie said:
On the UK page for Outlanders the interior graphic shows what appears to be a heated windscreen button (other side of the auto button from the rear heater button).
Nope- that is the defrost function.

What does it defrost?

At the risk of suggesting jaapv is teasing - this is what turns on the aircon which with heating will blow warm air on to the screen - hence defrost it.

JimB

Just to confuse things further.

Not tried it yet but collected my 4hs yesterday,

The manual states that the window heater is there and warns that when switched on the glass will be hot to the touch. It refers to it as a window heater and not a defrost blower.

Still may be a defrost and not a real window heater but it is not cold enough yet to try it out.

raymie said:
Still may be a defrost and not a real window heater but it is not cold enough yet to try it out.

If there's a phrase I've come to hate it's "I collected my.......yesterday" ;)

It's bad enough having to wait for the car but now we've got to wait for it to get colder? :x

Just press the button man and see if it blows, if not it's heating the glass and those of us still waiting will have something else to look forward to.

:mrgreen:

JimB

I'll go out later and give it a go, car is just about completing it's first home charge

Tested it now, 5+ minutes with 'heater' on but air con off and nothing.

So does run off the aircon only i guess

CCCUK said:
The heated windscreen was only made available on LHD vehicles, there fore PHEV's officially imported in the UK do not have this feature.

That makes sense in terms of the home market. OK so remote parts of Japan can get cold but much of it rarely sees any significant low temperatures and even less any snow. I have seen snow in Tokyo but it fell apart. They have that "oh my gosh what do we do now?" reaction, like much of the UK does, and is typical of countries where it is a once-a-year thing or less. With the UK not being a cold market either and most of Australia being temperate too I can see why they wouldn't bother fitting the feature for LHD.

Phevourite said:
CCCUK said:
The heated windscreen was only made available on LHD vehicles, there fore PHEV's officially imported in the UK do not have this feature.

That makes sense in terms of the home market. OK so remote parts of Japan can get cold but much of it rarely sees any significant low temperatures and even less any snow. I have seen snow in Tokyo but it fell apart. They have that "oh my gosh what do we do now?" reaction, like much of the UK does, and is typical of countries where it is a once-a-year thing or less. With the UK not being a cold market either and most of Australia being temperate too I can see why they wouldn't bother fitting the feature for LHD.

You mean RHD, I assume :oops:

There are over 500 Ski resorts in Japan - and in the North winters can be very severe (Hokkaido, Sapporo).

Phevourite said:
CCCUK said:

greendwarf said:
Phevourite said:
CCCUK said:

You mean RHD, I assume :oops:

Yep; my mistake RHD.

jaapv said:
There are over 500 Ski resorts in Japan - and in the North winters can be very severe (Hokkaido, Sapporo).

That does sound a bit like saying one would expect all cars targeting the UK would be primarily aimed at the Scottish highlands and not long drives on the M25, M6 or M1. Look I am no expert but it seemed that there were next to no people living at altitude or living in the North. Compared to the vast central cities hugging the coast that is. When the snow fell I saw little evidence of experienced winter drivers. Much more like the UK than the Nordics.

I bow to your superior experience though jaapv and it may have changed of course.

No superior knowledge (well maybe about skiing - if any), just that I cannot believe that being the reason. Normally the specifications of a car are set by the importer - depending on the possibilities offered by the maker of course. I would much more suspect the British importer, who had some strange differences to accessories offered on the continent before.
The bonnet lettering was first an exclusive for Australia, then it came to the UK, and suddenly it is offered worldwide. Maybe the heated windscreen will be on offer for the UK in the future, who knows?

Anyway, although it is quite useful for defrosting iced-up windscreens, the heated windscreen comes into its own in climates like the UK and my country, when medium-low temperatures and high humidity can create unpleasant fogging-up. Even more if one happens to have dogs in the car :D.

I had one in my last car and would have ordered it if it had been available. One drawback, though - there are prismatic effects when driving into the low sun, even more when wearing polarizing sunglasses.

Aldi UK have heard of our plight and are coming to the rescue tomorrow 19th November;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/car-windscreen-cover-1/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/ice-scraper-assortment-2/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/snow-brush-and-ice-scraper/

...and if yours hasn't got heated seats for defrosting the screen they have the answer to that too;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/heated-car-seat-cushion/

I realise that in our sub tropical climes you won't actually have to use any of them but you could ask Father Christmas to put them under the tree for you...just in case ;)

Jim B

Claymore said:
Aldi UK have heard of our plight and are coming to the rescue tomorrow 19th November;

...and if yours hasn't got heated seats for defrosting the screen they have the answer to that too;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/heated-car-seat-cushion/

Jim B

My first thought was that would be great in my Gx3 so I could keep warm without burning petrol - but, of course, it does nothing for the toes, hands & nose which is actually where I notice the lack of heating. In fact, the contrast with a warm bum might actually make the discomfort worse. :eek: But £10 is sooo cheap :?

Claymore said:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/car-windscreen-cover-1/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/ice-scraper-assortment-2/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/snow-brush-and-ice-scraper/

I realise that in our sub tropical climes you won't actually have to use any of them but you could ask Father Christmas to put them under the tree for you...just in case ;)

Jim B

I am looking out for when Lidl's screenwash comes in to stock up as usual. Its usually £5.99 for a 5 litre bottle. It sounds expensive but its so strong! it states good to minus 60C and one whiff will tell you thats possible. During normal UK winter conditions diluted to 1:4 its still wonderful and keeps the jets from freezing. If things are really severe used 1:2 or neat it will de-ice the windscreen for you using the washers (if you don't pass out from the fumes).

As I understand it the windscreen heating function patent is owned by a single entity in the UK (Ford?) and unless a particular manufacturer is affiliated with or owned by Ford or has licensed the technology then they are unable to fit it to their vehicles for the UK market. As I say, this is my understanding rather than a statement of fact but it does explain the market difference.

andylel said:
As I understand it the windscreen heating function patent is owned by a single entity in the UK (Ford?) and unless a particular manufacturer is affiliated with or owned by Ford or has licensed the technology then they are unable to fit it to their vehicles for the UK market. As I say, this is my understanding rather than a statement of fact but it does explain the market difference.
:lol:

AFAIK you can't patent a "function" only the means to achieve it - otherwise somebody would have patented baby manufacture a long time ago :lol: In fact, I seem to remember somebody tried to have a master patent such as this for the ICE in the early days of motoring but got stepped on in the courts. :oops:

Back