how many miles should a full charge read

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmac

My Gx4h has continually shown a max of 22 miles on the dash after a full nights charge, lowest 20 - i thought it should be higher or is the gauge set to show a lower figure ?

Totally depends on your (recent) driving style and use of heater and A/C.

Mine usually shows values between 25 and 32 miles. This morning, it showed 23 miles, after a somewhat faster motorway trip yesterday. I ended up with 3 miles left after a 24 mile trip. But be advised, I very seldom use the heater or A/C.

It's based on recent actual journeys, which will be influenced both by your driving style (which you can do something about) and terrain (which you can't). As you're in Edinburgh, your journeys may involve a lot of hills. Here in the Chilterns, I've almost never seen a number higher than 24 miles on the guessometer. Whereas if you lived in Holland ...

I'm just outside Edinburgh, and for me a full charge generally reads between 20-26 miles. Has been around the 25 mile mark for the past few months over the summer, but I've never seen it higher than 27.

In any case, its not the predicted range that is important, its what you actually get/ My daily commute is 13 miles each way, and even with the guessometer suggesting 22 miles at the start of the day, I can usually do my 26 mile round trip comfortably on EV.

ChrisMiller said:
Here in the Chilterns, I've almost never seen a number higher than 24 miles on the guessometer. Whereas if you lived in Holland ...
On my vacations in the French Alps, I usually see much higher numbers than I do back home. I guess it also kinda depends on where your home is. At the bottom of a hill or at the top.

anko said:
At the bottom of a hill or at the top.

I'm at the top of a hill (180m above sea level, 100m above surrounding 'plain'). That's a bad thing for the range, because I can't use regen setting off, but have to climb the hill coming back. So if maximising range is your biggest concern - live at the bottom of a hill :)

ChrisMiller said:
anko said:
At the bottom of a hill or at the top.

I'm at the top of a hill (180m above sea level, 100m above surrounding 'plain'). That's a bad thing for the range, because I can't use regen setting off, but have to climb the hill coming back. So if maximising range is your biggest concern - live at the bottom of a hill :)

I see the logic in actual range for the overall round journey but by coasting down you must use nothing, so that your guessometer is likely to show the same potential range at the bottom as at the top and if you stopped, turned off and re-started probably a much higher figure because it will think you can drive for ever and use no battery :lol:

I don't remember seeing in the manual that the range after a full charge is calculated based on previous trips.

I have had mine for 3 weeks and it's saying 17/18 miles after a full charge. I keep it in a warm garage overnight while charging (in case detection of air temperature is a factor).

Currently I have to drive with lights, heater and also music so it would make sense that the algorithm if that's what it is takes these into account.

So does it mean that next summer if I drive without lights and heating that the initial predicted range will be higher?

MrMuscles said:
So does it mean that next summer if I drive without lights and heating that the initial predicted range will be higher?
Based on my experience and what I read on this forum - almost certainly yes. I got 17/18 miles estimated range on a fully charged battery last December and it went up to high 20s in midsummer. It's now back down again. I think (happy to be corrected) this can be largely explained by the difference in battery performance at 5C and 25C temperatures, the use of lights etc is a relatively minor factor.

ChrisMiller said:
MrMuscles said:
Based on my experience and what I read on this forum - almost certainly yes. I got 17/18 miles estimated range on a fully charged battery last December and it went up to high 20s in midsummer. It's now back down again. I think (happy to be corrected) this can be largely explained by the difference in battery performance at 5C and 25C temperatures, the use of lights etc is a relatively minor factor.

Quite a lot of the reduction comes down to increased rolling resistance in the cold tyres and increased viscosity in the air.

ChrisMiller said:
MrMuscles said:

That's sound extreme .. but I guess is also up to what the car is used to drive into (if you do motorway or city .. it make quite a difference in kwh per miles)

Anyhow .. 18miles is 29km ... now that is -1 I just got 33km on my car (after used battery for defrost) .. so should be around 35km

I will see if in summer the range will go up.

Anyhow, more then range on the dash .. what count it is how many real km can be done in EV mode .. and so far I have to say I never really exceeded much more the 35km (22miles)

Interesting .. while the EV range is pessimistic ...
The total range is way optimistic .. it was reporting me over 350km total range .. and I was with empty tank after 240km ...

maby said:
Quite a lot of the reduction comes down to increased rolling resistance in the cold tyres and increased viscosity in the air.

lol as a golfer this makes sense. In the winter the ball travels less distance in the air and when it hits the fairway it hardly rolls, so overall impact is significantly less distance in the winter vs the summer

elm70 said:
ChrisMiller said:
MrMuscles said:

That's sound extreme .. but I guess is also up to what the car is used to drive into (if you do motorway or city .. it make quite a difference in kwh per miles)

Anyhow .. 18miles is 29km ... now that is -1 I just got 33km on my car (after used battery for defrost) .. so should be around 35km

Anyhow, more then range on the dash .. what count it is how many real km can be done in EV mode .. and so far I have to say I never really exceeded much more the 35km (22miles)

The total range is way optimistic .. it was reporting me over 350km total range .. and I was with empty tank after 240km ...

In my experience the opposite is true, i.e. the total range predicted is usually well short of what I can actually achieve.

With a full battery, and full petrol tank, it quotes c.300 miles but bearing in mind the petrol tank capacity is 10 gallons, and you can reasonably expect to average 35mpg on petrol alone, the total range you can achieve should be closer to 370 miles.

elm70 said:
ChrisMiller said:
MrMuscles said:

Was it really empty? The car is wildly pessimistic about kms left. The times that I drove until it was claiming that is was running on petrol fumes it turned out that there was still 5 liter left in the tank.

geoffshep69 said:
In my experience the opposite is true, i.e. the total range predicted is usually well short of what I can actually achieve.

With a full battery, and full petrol tank, it quotes c.300 miles but bearing in mind the petrol tank capacity is 10 gallons, and you can reasonably expect to average 35mpg on petrol alone, the total range you can achieve should be closer to 370 miles.

35mpg .. is like 6.7l/100km .. that means you must drive not faster then 110km/h ~ 65mph

The combined range should reflect more the consumption in the last 50km .. since normally is relevant when people drive on motor way ... for city usage, normally is the EV range that matter

Anyhow ... my final total range end up to be over 100km shorter then what estimated .. that is relative "disappointing"

While EV range accuracy is not relevant .. the total range it is important

Also quite odd .. that after adding 30L of fuel, my fuel level jump from zero to above 3/4 .. that is very strange indeed ... maybe the fuel level measure is not that accurate on my PHEV :?:

Back