how to drive in pure ev mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967betty

Have just taken delivery of my PHEV which is very nice

I seem to struggle to get it to drive continiously in pure ev mode even with a full charge
I pull away very slowly but it always seems to start in series mode with the engine running, the pure ev only seems to kick in after a bit, I cando the same trip mostly in ev mode the same trip next day and it goes into series mode
Very confusing, any tips

Where are you? You are not using the heater, are you? On a GX3h, that will always kick the engine in since it has no electric heater. I got into the car early this morning to take my wife to the station even in southern England, the heater kicked in - outside temperature was showing as 15 and I had the climate control set to a comfortable 21.

I can't think of any reason it would do that other than the heater. My ICE has come on twice this week with the chilly mornings (need to sort out the preheating). But it was only on for a minute or so. I try not to use the heating/fan at all if possible (has been ok till this week!). If the ICE is coming on with the heating off, I would contact your dealer. Unless anyone can suggest anything else?
Cheers
H

I have got the Instyle+ (Norwegian model with el.heater) and we have had a few chilly mornings this week. (4dgC) my wife didnt start the preheat the first morning and the ICE kicked in for approx 2km. The next morning she started the preheat and the ICE remained off.
If your ICE starts without you starting the climate system there might be something that your dealer should look into.

Thanks Guys, I am in Liverpool, with a GX3, dont have aircon on but will try fan heater turned off, going to take a while to get the best out of it

Thanks, keep posting advice

1967betty said:
Thanks Guys, I am in Liverpool, with a GX3, dont have aircon on but will try fan heater turned off, going to take a while to get the best out of it

Thanks, keep posting advice

The problem that you describe will not be the aircon - that will pull your battery down quite quickly, but will not fire up the petrol engine till the battery is flat. The most likely explanation is the heater - the GX3h does not have an electric heater, so any attempt to warm up the passenger compartment is going to run up the engine to generate some heat.

I noticed the same thing but since turning off the climate control and putting it into ECO mode the ICE has been as silent as the grave when being given a lift to the station in the morning :)

Back