intelligent octopus

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadnaught

Hello folks, anyone using the intelligent octopus tariff to charge their Phev? I'm getting an Ohme charger but can't work out if the Phev will work on it
cheers

As I understand it, the Ohme EVSE is compatible with IO and it doesn't matter what vehicle it is connected to.

Presumably you're getting untethered one for future compatibility with other vehicles?

Hello folks, anyone using the intelligent octopus tariff to charge their Phev? I'm getting an Ohme charger but can't work out if the Phev will work on it
cheers
Should not be a problem but we have an ohme charger and stopped using the Ohme ap due to unreliablilty which they said was due to fluctuating voltages.... We now use the car ap and it works fine..

Ive just changed the charging lead on an OHME home pro, to a type 1 plug ..... Now I just need to sort out how to programme it. I really want octopus to control the charge as we often get free periods of electricity through the day ...

so last couple of nights have been far from successful ....

i am hopeful it will be resolved tonight !

night 1 - the ohme recognised it was plugged in to the car, but no charging schedule was 'determined' by the Ohme, i didnt realise it needed that, so next day i unplugged the Ohme, set the price cap to disabled, entered a charge schedule, telling it to charge to 90% before 0530 - which coincides with Intelligent Octopus Go , then rebooted the Ohme. It then returned a charging schedule, so i assumed it was sorted .....

night 2 - the car failed to charge again, i suspect it was because there was still a charge schedule set on the car, so i have disabled it this morning - or should i set it to charge as soon as its plugged in (can i do that?) and just let the Ohme do whatever it wants - which is what i want to happen, assuming of course it will then 'know' to charge up whenever Octopus offer 'free power ups' ..??

If anyone can see any glaring mistake in what i have done, can they please advise me?? thanks

Seems Octopus Intelligent is a bit troublesome to say the least. I switched to this IO Go and have been unable to charge the battery using my Zappi ever since (over three weeks now) and Octopus have been awful at sorting this out. I have no schedules in the car and I have not generated one in the Zappi (MiEnergy) app. I was just using boost charges at full cost and will now revert to that while I await further instruction from Octopus, which I am not hopeful about. They took three weeks to suggest that I started from scratch and the forgot to remove me from the IO tariff. In fairness to Octopus i did speak to a helpful person today and have been given £25 credit to support full cost charging.

this is interesting to read - as I havent yet got a charger myself (still using the 3pin extension) - but have been using Octopus Go 12.30-04.30 windows to charge (then realised that the in-car schedule is an hour out compared to the clock on the car since daylight savings time change back on october. - so have been charging since 23.30 every night! So the initial few kwh have been at full whack 36p/kwh.

As its just 5-6kwh usable these days, and our usage in the daytime is greater than this - I have just switched to the octopus tracker tariff to make use of the lower 15p/kwh daily rate (and the 3-4p for gas!), and will just charge on that - until I get a charger installed, then Intelligent was my plan - but seems with the initial outlay for the charger, it might not payback for a long time.... might be better off just going the whole hog with a solar install instead.

- but seems with the initial outlay for the charger, it might not payback for a long time.... might be better off just going the whole hog with a solar install instead.
i installed a pre loved Ohme charger (and changed the charging lead to a Type 1 to suit my vehicle) - now working as it should - user error was my problem LOL !!!

you could save a fair amount if you get a pre loved (recycled !!) charger! i am actually considering changing to a Zappi when one comes up, only because of the ability to charge via solar but then keep thinking about other advice ive been given to sell as much as i can back to the grid and make use of the cheap overnight rate to charge my car and battery !

as for timescale of payback, ive just got my bill and after going through some very basic calculations, i saved well over £80 in 16 days (my change over was mid feb) by installing the Ohme and moving onto IO - as i paid just over £200 for the Ohm, i think the payback time isnt going to be that long ...

Last edited:
i installed a pre loved Ohme charger (and changed the charging lead to a Type 1 to suit my vehicle) - now working as it should - user error was my problem LOL !!!

you could save a fair amount if you get a pre loved (recycled !!) charger! i am actually considering changing to a Zappi when one comes up, only because of the ability to charge via solar but then keep thinking about other advice ive been given to sell as much as i can back to the grid and make use of the cheap overnight rate to charge my car and battery !

as for timescale of payback, ive just got my bill and after going through some very basic calculations, i saved well over £80 in 16 days (my change over was mid feb) by installing the Ohme and moving onto IO - as i paid just over £200 for the Ohm, i think the payback time isnt going to be that long ...
That sounds interesting, where do you pickup these second hand chargers from? usual channels? ebay etc? i am assuming you are an electrician or qualified to certify a new circuit for installing the charger? Thats the next hurdle if i can find a decent deal online somewhere :D

I used the services of a qualified electrician to to certify/install the new circuit. I just did the grunt work, laying cable, digging a hole under the path to save lifting it etc, fixing stuff to walls etc. That meant the electrician was only here for a couple of hours instead of prob all day!
I got my second hand charger from Facebook marketplace and the type1 lead from eBay.
It took a couple of days for OHME to change ownership/registration of the charger but it was a fairly simple process just requiring a couple of photos, confirmation of octopus account etc
Just be patient and keep looking/be vigilant, they do come up. I would suggest strongly to collect and pay on collection rather than having someone post it for obvious reasons. I paid a small deposit to secure it.

Back