Is a PHEV the "right" choice to tow a caravan ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver5

Still trying to choose a replacement for the current car and have done full circle now back to the PHEV, but with a new requirement of towing a caravan.

From the extensive reading, it would suggest on a "long motorway" run on petrol alone and solo (not towing), it will only return 250 miles due to the small ish fuel tank?

(All man maths)

Take into account a 1400kg caravan and would I be correct in thinking maybe 150-200 miles at best to a full tank ? (fully loaded)
If so, I cant even get to the south coast on a tank 'n' half, it would require to refuel enroute at a service station paying £0.10p a liter more than it would of cost if i filled up locally. (can get upto 700 miles from a full tank in the BMW E60 on a long run solo, 500 towing, of course bigger tank)

45 Liter fuel tank based on 250 miles using 40 litres is just short of 29mpg SOLO.

So to the south west of France, its going to need lets say 6 fill ups loaded and caravan to do 900 miles to get there... £240 in Petrol. :shock:

Am i missing something, but i cant even think about stopping that many times for fuel.

So, is the PHEV the right car for towing for when we are towing?? (which will be once a year for a bog trip, the rest UK based when we have free weekends, maybe once or twice a month in the summer.)

Work commute and school run is 14 miles total each way, less some days due to less drop offs so can all be done under EV.

Thanks

Driver5 said:

So to the south west of France, its going to need lets say 6 fill ups loaded and caravan to do 900 miles to get there... £240 in Petrol. :shock:

Am i missing something, but i cant even think about stopping that many times for fuel.

Really? So how many times would you want to stop in 900 miles - 3/4? How long would the extra fill-ups take and add to your journey - 30 minutes? Now this IS a first world problem. ;)

Hi

I tow a 1500kg dive boat and can get 25mpg without charge, no worse than a Discovery.

Use save when towing and keep,the battery full, you can always use it for the last 10 or so miles if you want.

When not towing 40+ mpg should be easily achievable.

Cheers

Chris

greendwarf said:
Driver5 said:

Really? So how many times would you want to stop in 900 miles - 3/4? How long would the extra fill-ups take and add to your journey - 30 minutes? Now this IS a first world problem. ;)

how many times would i want to stop for fuel - as little as possible? I would want to stop at places I want to stop, not at fuel stations.. its the thought of having to stop maybe every 200 miles for fuel which is concerning having to fill up at premium prices too.

I guess it's all a question of the balance of your usage - few owners have a single requirement and we chose cars on the basis of taking a balanced view. The PHEV is demonstrably able to tow a reasonably heavy load and can cruise long distances without charging - but it is not designed primarily for either of these modes of usage. Your 14 miles each way daily commute is a good match to the natural capabilities of the car - particularly if you can get a charge at your destination during the winter months. Fuel economy will be a lot worse while towing - and you will need to manage the charge level quite carefully if you are going to avoid revving the engine rather high. On the other hand, the electric motors will cope better with accelerating away from stationary with a load hanging off the back than a clutch will on a conventional car. Personally, I would prefer to go for something with a big diesel lump and a torque converter - but those are becoming rare these days.

Driver5 said:
greendwarf said:
Driver5 said:

how many times would i want to stop for fuel - as little as possible? I would want to stop at places I want to stop, not at fuel stations.. its the thought of having to stop maybe every 200 miles for fuel which is concerning having to fill up at premium prices too.
Actually quite a number of fuel stations alomg the Autoroute are quite nice, restaurants, cafes, toilets, nice scenic parkings...
How far do you have to drive? 1000 Kms? that is 100 litres approx, about 145 Euro, 3 stops max.
Also consider this:
How many days of the year/ kilometers will you be driving from embouteillage to embouteillage burning fuel and how many days of the year/miles pottering around your home town on electric power? There is a tradeoff there...

Hi,

I to will be towing a 1300kg outfit with my PHEV in July down to the South of France, your calculations around fuel and stops seem about right, I estimated twice in this country and then 3 times in France. Im travelling from Manchester to Annecy. I have had my PHEV now for 5 weeks and driven 1200 miles charging every day which has enabled me to travel to work on pure electric using very little fuel. I have spent about £60 in fuel in total and quite a bit of that will be for heating as I have the GX3H model but I am very impressed with the car overall.

If your only going to be using the van a couple of times a year then stopping a few extra times for a bit of unleaded isn't going to rock the boat! The overall enjoyment and experience through the year will outway the additional time spent refilling. I am looking forward to towing with the PHEV and will be taking a few "test drives" before my big trip.

Thanks for all input - and I think the points raised when working out overall mileage and driving style, the PHEV seems to work ok on paper for my driving profile.

Hi there, we tow our caravan with our PHEV, and don't have a any problems. Yes,you don't get the mpg as you would from a diesel outlander and you do have to plan your trips with a little more thought but overall we wouldn't swap back to the diesel outlander. As mentioned there are trade offs, but your usage is practically identical to ours and for the amount of towing we do, it is a no brainer. Once you get to your destination and unhooked the luggage,charge it up and enjoy sightseeing on electric power! Just remember the tow bar is rated at 75kg so you may have to rejiggle some items and don't let it run too low on battery whilst towing as the engine will sing an unnerving song! Hit charge as soon as you leave and if you do still have anything in reserve when you get there, just use it up on the last few miles. We love it!

Tracy, as you appear to be able to maintain SOC while towing, may I ask what weight / size your caravan is?

I am very happy with the PHEV as a tow ar, but may thing SOC seems a bit difficult.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Question regarding the towbar, looking at the options list, it does not have one listed as an option ??

Thanks

Question regarding the towbar, looking at the options list, it does not have one listed as an option ??

Driver5 said:

What about this?

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/accessories/items.aspx?type=16&group=48

greendwarf said:
Driver5 said:

What about this?

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/accessories/items.aspx?type=16&group=48

Thanks - is that an aftermarket install rather from factory though ? Can you order it from factory ?

Cheers

@Driver5: you definitly can tow with the PHEV. I did with mine ... At the end I bought a used one that had a tow bar "on board". It is a removable one and as I understood from that is usual for the Outlander PHEV (and exactly what I wanted :) ). Every Mitsubishi Garage should be able to order and install a tow bar for your future PHEV.
By the way, I think your yearly driving Profile fits well for a PHEV. Love mine ...
Regards, Uwe

Thank you,

The problem i have is that i would be planning to order new as a company car, but would want the towbar installed from the factory like you would expect on any other make of car... then if things went wrong, (ie battery drain etc..) its upto the lease provider to resolve rather than me whos made a mod to the car. (I have just called a local ish dealer and asked about a towbar fitting to a PHEV and they have just given me the number of a local fitter they recommend!! :shock:

So.. looks like this could be a no no...

I've just bought a 4h and had a removable towbar fitted as an option. It was listed as a standard Mitsubishi option.

Back