Is a PHEV the "right" choice to tow a caravan ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, took my PHEV out yesterday, towing a 1300kg caravan, for about 200 miles and am generally pleased with its performance. Started with Save enabled and did about 100 miles with no overall loss in battery range. Yes it went down a bit but not too much that it wasn't able to recoup.

However, one thing I didn't particular like, though I may grow used to it, is the much commented on engine revving under load. This is the first time I've come across it and it initially scared the wotzits out of me. Talk about racket. Particularly on steep, slow, sub 40mph, climbs where you haven't got up enough speed to get the engine driving the wheels. Thankfully didn't have to do any hill starts on any serious incline as always at the back of my mind was "would it manage". Yes I am fairly confident it would but still. Interestingly on the last 100 miles, noting the PHEV's ability to keep its charge, I switched off Save for a bit to see the difference and noted that climbs were quieter but boy, did the battery go down quickly. Think I flattened the nearly full battery in about 10 miles. I switched back to Save with a couple of miles range showing and all was good again (apart from the noise on slow climbs.

I've not filled up the tank up yet to see what the fuel use was, and no doubt it'll hit my average badly, but the car was showing 32mpg.

So overall I'm happy. Just got to banish the nagging doubt over a hill start.

Possibly but the PHEV sounds like a Japanese 2-stroke from yesteryear doing 12000 :)

I saw one towing a caravan at the weekend trundling alone at around 50mph on the M1.

Whats the max mileage anyone got from a full tank of fuel and EV while towing ?

Driver5 said:
I saw one towing a caravan at the weekend trundling alone at around 50mph on the M1.

Whats the max mileage anyone got from a full tank of fuel and EV while towing ?
Well, with my 20-22mpg experience mentioned above I would be very twitchy at 200 miles.

Indeed, I got 330 km (a tad more than 200 miles, if I am correct) with about 5 liters left in the tank. This was from my home in the middle of the Netherlands to the Belgium / Luxembourg border, including crossing the Belgium Ardennes. Speed on motorways was about 94 km/h (almost 60 mph) most of the time.

Just come back from a weekend of towing my 1300kg caravan and sadly my respectable mpg average took a bit of a beating. Filled up after the first couple of hundred miles to see 23mpg. Ouch. Far cry from my usual 70 odd. Also noticed that despite having Save enabled, I drained the battery after a hundred and a bit miles . Yes it was windy at times but my 450 mile trip to Scotland next month doesn't look promising.

Titan, your supposed to use Charge mode while towing, not Save mode. Depending on your driving speed and shape / size of your caravan this might allow you to maintain decent SOC. Save most definitely will not.

anko said:
Titan, your supposed to use Charge mode while towing, not Save mode. Depending on your driving speed and shape / size of your caravan this might allow you to maintain decent SOC. Save most definitely will not.
Thank you, hadn't appreciated Charge was needed but can certainly attest that Save doesn't work :)

I can't help but feel sorry for the PHEV caravan towing community. Those who have to remember to push the CHARGE button every time the PHEV is powered ON. The reduced fuel economy and the increased number of refuels and stops means the chance of forgetting to press the button comes up quite often. My mate with my sticky CHARGE button mod has no such problem now. Just need MMC to supply a software upgrade to get the power ON, CHARGE, or SAVE, or NORMAL mode preference to be a user setting, just like my mod does.

gwatpe said:
I can't help but feel sorry for the PHEV caravan towing community. Those who have to remember to push the CHARGE button every time the PHEV is powered ON. The reduced fuel economy and the increased number of refuels and stops means the chance of forgetting to press the button comes up quite often. My mate with my sticky CHARGE button mod has no such problem now. Just need MMC to supply a software upgrade to get the power ON, CHARGE, or SAVE, or NORMAL mode preference to be a user setting, just like my mod does.
I would certainly be interested in having your "sticky" facility, if it's available to a UK Customer. I know how easy it is (now) to flatten a battery after forgetting to press save after a fuel stop. Would you be kind enough to let me know by PM details if possible? Many thanks.

Just back after 2 caravan holidays in the UK with my 1500kg Swift.

First was from south Cumbria to Bamburgh, Northumberland - about 170 miles. I Used M6 north from j36 up to Carlisle, A69 east to Newcastle then A1 north. Kept a good average speed, aiming for 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 50mph on 2 way roads. Outward journey about 18-20mpg, return journey 16 - 18mpg (significant headwind when heading west). There must be some substantial gradients that are deceptive and draining as far as fuel consumption is concerned.

Second was south Cumbria to near Barmouth, Wales coast - about 175 miles. M6 j36 south to j20a then west into Wales and down plenty of slower 2 way roads - Outward and return about 22mpg (last year in 2.0 diesel Passat Alltrack, same outfit returned 26mpg).

The car managed the trip very well, was stable and coped with the performance demands I made of it. It's just a case of accepting a 150-200 mile range between fuel stops compared to a conventional car with a bigger fuel tank. It has hit my Fuelly.com data significantly though!

On both holidays I recharged through the caravan mains electric hook-up on site and did local driving on pure electric. I loved the amazed looks from fellow caravanners as I departed on silent electric only as well.

Today, somebody at work asked me about my experiences with my PHEV, in particular fuel consumption. I told him that over the past year-and-a-half I had achieved about 3.5 l / 100 km. Another guy in the room said: then I have not been doing to bad with my VW Up, achieving 3.8l / 100 km. Then I asked: does your 3.8 include towing a 1500 kg caravan back and forth to the French Alps and Croatia?

Guess what? It didn't :lol:

Back