Leaves

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abitinga

what's the best way to drive to get the 5 leaves. I'm getting 4 and driving like miss daisy is in the back. I'm getting 27 miles on start up each day but could use the 30. I've had 31 once, ( not sure how) as work is 14.5 miles away so best way to get the most electric mileage please.

Hi. I'm not sure the leaves are particularly helpful. In my experience, one way to get 5 is to drive about 15 mph. Another way might be to set cruise control (even using petrol I have had quite a few leaves using CC.). It is not clear what the car uses as criteria for awarding leaves - I think regen is a factor so given I use B0 a lot, I don't tend to get that many even though I drive very frugally and rarely above about 45mph on my day to day journeys. I would ignore the leaves (and perhaps the predicted ev range) and concentrate on actual ev range.

In my view, to get best range:
turn off electricals where possible (lights, blower etc).
tyre pressures correct
no unnecessary loads in car
coast as much as poss and plan ahead to avoid stopping/braking (try to keep a constant low speed in jams for instance)
keep speed down and accelerate gently
use regen to stop or downhills
use slower roads rather than faster ones if there is a choice and you have time
I use the eco setting but not sure whether it makes a difference.

Cheers
H

Eco setting...I still haven't figured out the advantage. :?: .In fact I have a distinct impression that I get a better EV range using "normal" :eek:

I concur and don't use the eco switch. I've had 5 leaves a couple of times and also agree that use of B0, and forward thinking help (and minimum use of electrics). Keep momentum as much as possible. Most energy is lost getting the 2tonnes rolling from stationary.

As an aside, I think the reason eco hinders rather than helps is because it damp down throttle and if playing the B0/coasting game, you need instant feathering of the throttle to be able to react quickly.

I got a 5 leaves yesterday, only get them when I do a longer trip and use the engine. never got above 4 on just EV...

Also most morning when I get in the car the range for me is generally 34 - 36, maybe I am doing the perfect short trip for the car?? or maybe its lying to me :lol:

I have spent some time playing with the Eco button and there is a noticeable cut in power, at 40 when pressed the needle drops and the car feels a little less powered but still sufficient. Not sure if it saves anything though...

I always drive in ECO mode (unless I forget to press on start-up :oops: ) and like the other posters use mainly B0 to coast here in Sarf Lundun. I also put the car in neutral when stopped and use only sidelights at night. I am very disappointed when I get less than 5 leaves occasionally. :mrgreen:

Hi

The same question was going through my mind yesterday.
I got 5 leaves after racing up the motorway at 70MPH, with battery power dropping like a ball.
But my daily commute which involves gentle acceleration only gives me 3 leaves
The same commute in a nissan leaf (1 week test drive) would see me grow a tree!!
Cannot fathom that one!!

It dose not make sense, we did a 450km trip last week, battery depleted and sitting on 120kmh with full throttle overtaking bursts to over 160kmh.

5 leaves for that journey!

NAPpy

I don't think the leaves are particularly scientific, but it would not be unreasonable for the programming to take into account the type of journey you are undertaking. The difference in fuel economy between a short distance, slow trip in warm weather on pure EV and a long, high speed run in cold weather is so great that if the algorithm took the simplistic approach, you would always be getting either five leaves or none. If I had designed it, I would be giving five leaves for the optimal driving pattern for the distance and speed travelled.

I have finally earned some full house trees, with all 5 leaves recorded on the history graph for multiple drives.

Has nothing to do with economy. I suspect the leaves are awarded with less use of the accelerator and brake.

I observed that on a particular occasion, my PHEV returned the 5 leaves on a 300km flat section of road. No hills and no traffic. just used the CC to hold speed.

The best I had seen recorded on the graphs with normal driving is 4 leaves, even though 5 leaves were shown on the dash screen. I pay little attention to the leaves as the data is often flawed with zero results. This has something to do with a general problem with how and when the PHEV records data.

maby said:
I don't think the leaves are particularly scientific, but it would not be unreasonable for the programming to take into account the type of journey you are undertaking. The difference in fuel economy between a short distance, slow trip in warm weather on pure EV and a long, high speed run in cold weather is so great that if the algorithm took the simplistic approach, you would always be getting either five leaves or none. If I had designed it, I would be giving five leaves for the optimal driving pattern for the distance and speed travelled.

Perhaps that is exactly what it does looking at some of the comments here, if at 120 km/hr you can get 5 leaves. strange how mysterious the PHEV and its software can be

Hi I may be wrong but im sure ive read in the manual that the leaves relate to how much battery power you have generated using the paddles.

Back