LED Bulbs - Known to work or fail thread.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stvtech

I'm know that at least a few people on here have tried replacing their old-fashioned incandescent bulbs for LED's, but the problem appears to be the new-fashioned Canbus system that thwarts a simple swap-out replacement, requiring the use of big heat generating resistors to be fitted to circumvent bulb failure detection.

I bit the bullet and ordered a couble of error-free indicator LED bulbs, which are advertised as Canbus Error-free, but when fitted to the vehicle, cause fast-flashing. Now there is every chance that someone else on the forum might already have tried these particular bulbs, so I though a thread listing bulbs that are known to fail, or indeed work OK, (without adding resistors) might be useful.

If you have fitted an LED bulb, please post details here to save me (and hopefully others) buying something that is known not to work.

I purchased the following indicator bulbs, which were an excellent match for light output, but caused fast-flashing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-22w-7507-BAU15S-581-BRIGHTEST-CREE-LED-AMBER-CANBUS-INDICATOR-BULBS-/151627504346

ledbulb1.jpg

Thought I was onto a winner initially, as replaced just the one front indicator and tested with hazzard lights so as to compare brightness with the stock bulb. Worked perfect.

Powered up the car and turned on the indicator however, and result was fast flashing.
Back to the drawing board!

If they only really drew 22W, there would be no fast flashing... :(
I suspect the threshold of the systems indicator cirquit monitoring to be somewhere in the range between 20 und 8 Ohms.

Kim said:
If they only really drew 22W, there would be no fast flashing... :(
I suspect the threshold of the systems indicator cirquit monitoring to be somewhere in the range between 20 und 8 Ohms.

I think (though am not certain), that the Indicator circuit checks for current draw rather than resistance, else it would flag up bulb failure as a warning light rather than do the fast flash thing. Cars that check resistance usually indicate a bulb failure before you have even turned on the circuit.

The fast flash thing must be simulating the old days of bimetallic strip flasher units. If one bulb failed, the lower current flowing wouldn't heat the strip as much so it didn't bend as far away from the contact, and would hence return much quicker to restore the circuit and repeat the process. No electronic gadgetry whatsoever, but it served to both flash the bulbs, AND warn you of failure ;)

The LED bulbs in my OP draw 370mA @ 12v. hardly 22W !! And as you say, if they drew anywhere near 22w, (i.e. 1.8A) I don't think there would be an issue.

To save wasting my new bulbs, I have ordered these to try (will report back if they work OK);

EDIT TO ADD - They don't !!
Well, don't fit, that is. The bulb holder that takes the LED bulb, whist looking similar the the original in the picture, doesn't fit the light housing properly, so cannot be used. :cry: Of course the other end is a standard BAU15S base, so connects to the Phev's own bulb holder just fine.

baupnp.jpg

Soooo, given the failure as edited in my previous post, I have now given up with swapping the indicator bulbs for LEDs (for now, at least). After all, the stock bulbs 'aint so bad!

Just awaiting delivery of (hopefully no-mods) DRL cree LEDs from the USA (Departed Los Angeles 29th march, according to tracking).

Yes now many people are using LED bulbs due to its attractive feathers. LED lights have a wide range of application. They are used both indoor and outdoor. LED interior lights are used in offices, houses, hotels and hospitals. Now many companies are providing LED bulbs. JDMastar is very famous for good quilt LED lights. I also buy some LED lights from this company.

Back