Less annoying than Toyota's hybrid system?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fecn, ignore those Dutch fellows, their country is so flat and boring they've nothing better to do than fry their brains with the internal workings of their cars. :twisted:

All you need to know is that the PHEV is easily the quietest, most relaxed drive I've ever had. The engine VERY rarely cuts in, unless you need to get onto a fast road, and if you drive normally, you'll hardly notice it.

Here, here.

As I said before, on my 12 mile back lane route, the ICE cuts in for 500 yards at low revs to give a bit of extra oomph.

To get high revs I need to have my right foot buried in the carpet in a traffic light burn out up the slip road onto the motorway demanding that my car hits 70mph in less than 12 seconds!

I too loose the will to live even thinking about the various modes and when they occur, let alone considering why they do it. Completely irrelevant.

The car suits your commute, it's very comfortable and quiet. Enjoy!

Thank you everyone for your responses. You have put my mind at rest. Cheers!!

Regulo said:
Fecn, ignore those Dutch fellows, their country is so flat and boring they've nothing better to do than fry their brains with the internal workings of their cars. :twisted:

All you need to know is that the PHEV is easily the quietest, most relaxed drive I've ever had. The engine VERY rarely cuts in, unless you need to get onto a fast road, and if you drive normally, you'll hardly notice it.
I find, both in my day job (dentistry) and my other area of expertise (photography) that understanding a tool greatly improves results and pleasure of use. Cars are not different.

I think the good thing about the PHEV is that it caters for all tastes. I am, admittedly, a bit of a technical geek so I quite like watching the dials, playing with the regenerative brake settings, monitoring economy, etc. and all of that adds to my enjoyment of the car and hopefully helps to improve economy even if only by a small amount.

My wife on the other hand, knows nothing about the technology and cares even less. She just gets in the car, presses the start button, drives off and doesn’t change anything or look at any information. The car still behaves and performs extremely well if driven like this, so in my view it caters for everyone and even if you have no interest in knowing how it works it should still operate as a very smooth, quiet and comfortable car.

Just a quick note to finish off this thread. I found reading through the forum to be very helpful when I was considering a PHEV, so I'm adding this in case anyone else has the same concerns as I did.

Mitsubishi were kind enough to lend me a PHEV for 24 hours so that I could try it out on my normal commute to and from work. I can now confidentely say that it was in no way whatsoever annoying. My fears of it being like the Toyota hybrid system were unfounded.

I liked it so much, I ordered myself a new one today... Got a great deal on it... I'll be picking it up in a week's time.

Great - well done on making your order. Was going to confirm that as a fellow Toyota hybrid owner (Prius) the phev is much much easier to keep to electric only. Engine mainly comes on for me if I overtake something faster than a tractor (on an in range journey, summer/no heating).
You have made the right decision. We camp and fill the car plus a trailer - just make sure the site has at least 10 amp electric and you can charge the car too! Enjoy
Cheers
H

Back