Let's go pure EV...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IAmTheWalrus said:
Does the use of the VTECH box invalidate the Mitsubishi warranty?

I doubt

It is between Ecu and gas pedal, something easy to remove and does not leave any sign of its presence in ecu

It just change the acceleration/power scale, nothing else, for what I understood from manuals

elm70 said:
IAmTheWalrus said:
Does the use of the VTECH box invalidate the Mitsubishi warranty?

I doubt

It is between Ecu and gas pedal, something easy to remove and does not leave any sign of its presence in ecu

It just change the acceleration/power scale, nothing else, for what I understood from manuals

So what you're saying is, it might invalidate the warranty, but only if Mitsubishi find out you used it? ;)

Every excuse may be user for invalidate the warranty, but I really doubt this can cause any size effect on the car, it is like putting a brick behind the gas pedal to prevent full travel (but done electronically)

Still if Mitsubishi want they could balme this unofficial add on for any possible defect that car may develop

vtechtuning said:
Claymore said:
For me regrettably, it would have to be a pretty big discount otherwise I'll just fit a stronger return spring in the accelerator pedal :roll:

JimB

Any distributor will be welcome, after final tests.
I hope, when I finish my PHEV ECU android flasher, there still will be some PHEV owners who will want it :)

I do want this

With option to set max power and level of discharge

:geek:

Edit: it took a while, but I read all this this thread... Early prototype was looking better to me, but I understand the reasoning of this box, still I hope vtech may find the time for implement the origianal osb tool

elm70 said:
Every excuse may be user for invalidate the warranty, but I really doubt this can cause any size effect on the car, it is like putting a brick behind the gas pedal to prevent full travel (but done electronically)

Still if Mitsubishi want they could balme this unofficial add on for any possible defect that car may develop
I solved the problem by having my dealer put it in.

Little update on my experience with the PHEVbox:

I have had to tweak the settings of te box a bit, as the car started firing up the ICE even when I did not used the kick down. I change the setting down one notch (43% throttle to 42% throttle at the kick-down point) and this took care of the issue. I suspect that, while my battery capacity is slowly diminishing ( I am down to 31.4 Ah :shock: ), so is the battery's willingness to deliver power. I know that there is a Max Battery Out parameter that, if I am not mistaken, tells the ECO how much power it can draw from the battery, but I have not checked it recently. I suspect that it may have come down a bit ....

anko said:
Little update on my experience with the PHEVbox:

I have had to tweak the settings of te box a bit, as the car started firing up the ICE even when I did not used the kick down. I change the setting down one notch (43% throttle to 42% throttle at the kick-down point) and this took care of the issue. I suspect that, while my battery capacity is slowly diminishing ( I am down to 31.4 Ah :shock: ), so is the battery's willingness to deliver power. I know that there is a Max Battery Out parameter that, if I am not mistaken, tells the ECO how much power it can draw from the battery, but I have not checked it recently. I suspect that it may have come down a bit ....

31.4 .. is less the 80% ... does this allow you to get a battery replacement from Mitsubishi ?

Isn't guarantee to keep at least 80% for the first 5 years ?

BTW .. how do you measure it ? ... since it is something virtually impossible to measure ... you would need to fully discharge the battery for know how much capacity the battery was capable

elm70 said:
This is what people keep repeating here, but I have never seen documentation from Mitsubishi that backs this up. To my best knowledge, all they say is that they do not expect the capacity to drop below 80% in 5 years time. The warranty statements talk about real defects.

anko said:
elm70 said:
This is what people keep repeating here, but I have never seen documentation from Mitsubishi that backs this up. To my best knowledge, all they say is that they do not expect the capacity to drop below 80% in 5 years time. The warranty statements talk about real defects.

looks like you're in the box seat to test it!

Hi

I got the vtech box but inserting it, it is not as trivial as the video is showing.

My PHEV has a cover under the driver console/dash ... so ... what is shown in the video is after removing this cover

I see some sort of clips, that look rubber/plastic ... is there any suggestion how to remove these without losing some parts and then be unable to mount the cover back ?

Any tips from who did already mount this box ?

For me it is already extremity uncomfortable to access the area under the console ... some tips about how should I position my self for better have view and access to the area ?

Thanks in advance

The clips are very simple to remove. Lift the center part halfway and take them out. ( the same as the clips in the roof rail, for instance)
The difficult part is wiggling the connectors in, the wires are short and access cramped.

jaapv said:
The clips are very simple to remove. Lift the center part halfway and take them out. ( the same as the clips in the roof rail, for instance)
The difficult part is wiggling the connectors in, the wires are short and access cramped.

Not sure we are speaking of the same clips

Visible from the "bottom" is only the single round part .. nothing to remove ... the only way apparently to remove it is via a little flat screw driver for get a leverage between the "cover" and the clip

Anyhow ... I will give a try in the weekend ...

That is exactly what you should do...Lever the middle part up 3 mm. It is not a cover but a wedge that presses three little prongs outwards that fix the clip.

Similar to this:

s-l300_1.jpg

ClasseClas said:
It is very easy to remove the clips with a small flat screwdriver. One clip is tricky though and that's the one close to the gas pedal. With a short screwdriver it is doable.

Yes the one next to the pedals it is tricky to remove ... but I made it

Anyhow ... I fail badly ... I can't remove the plug from the gas pedal .. no way I can unclip it and remove on the same time ... space is almost nothing .. not only it is in a corner but there is a metal box few cm from this plug

So ... I gave up .. and I will return this Vtech box, since I'm still in the 14 days warranty for free return.

On the other side, remove the 15amp Fuse (#15) it is very trivial and super fast .. and apparently does the same result ... I tested to activate the heater and I got the error message (EV only service, or something like this) ... plug it back .. and started the engine without problem ... so .. I'm going to work on this

Bad lack .. the vtech box could have allowed me to get 70 ot 80 kw power in EV mode .. but ... I don't have enough skills for handle this mountings :oops:

elm70 said:
ClasseClas said:
It is very easy to remove the clips with a small flat screwdriver. One clip is tricky though and that's the one close to the gas pedal. With a short screwdriver it is doable.

Yes the one next to the pedals it is tricky to remove ... but I made it

Anyhow ... I fail badly ... I can't remove the plug from the gas pedal .. no way I can unclip it and remove on the same time ... space is almost nothing .. not only it is in a corner but there is a metal box few cm from this plug

So ... I gave up .. and I will return this Vtech box, since I'm still in the 14 days warranty for free return.

On the other side, remove the 15amp Fuse (#15) it is very trivial and super fast .. and apparently does the same result ... I tested to activate the heater and I got the error message (EV only service, or something like this) ... plug it back .. and started the engine without problem ... so .. I'm going to work on this

Bad lack .. the vtech box could have allowed me to get 70 ot 80 kw power in EV mode .. but ... I don't have enough skills for handle this mountings :oops:
Yes, it was tricky to remove the plug. My advice is to use a headlamp for good visibility. You will have to press the plug towards the contact while at the same time pressing the clip away from the lock. Then you just drag it off the contact. If you look carefully you will see how the plug is designed. With some persistence you will make it! ;-) Pls don't give up now when you have the box. You'll like it.

Back