Logging EV Miles vs Actual Miles Achieved

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

On the 1st November I decided to log several factors to try and work out a trend for the car and try and get a better understanding of what EV range was achievable before the ICE kicked in. My plan was to continue the experiment for a month but unfortunately, the weather really changed on the 21st and the ICE started, so I abandoned the logging exercise at that point.

I recorded the following:

Date
Temperature
Indicated EV Miles at switch on
Indicated EV Miles at switch off
How Many Bars had been used on the MMCS display
How many miles I achieved before the ICE started (if the journey was long enough, otherwise just total mileage)
The cost of charging from the MMCS (set at 10p / KWH)
The cost per mile
How many miles I achieved for each bar of the display
How much mileage I could possibly have got if I had used all of the SOC

Here are some highlights:

The warmest day was 19 degrees, the coldest was 7 degrees
The highest indicated start mileage was 30 (at 9 degrees) the lowest was 24 (at 14 degrees)
The highest mileage achieved on a full charge was 21.2 (starting indication was 25 and temp was 16 degrees)
The lowest miles achieved per MMCS bar was 0.993 (14 degrees), the highest was 2.15 (10 degrees)

After looking through the figures, there is no obvious pattern. This is in spite of driving the car every day the same way (B0, B5 no heater, no aircon, all the usual tricks), on a similar mix of urban, countryside roads. I was at least hoping to see the difference in EV range with differing temperatures, but even that doesnt show a conclusive pattern as some of the colder days gave a better range than the warmer ones. Similarly, the cost of charging indicated on the car didn't necessarily match the amount of SOC used in all cases.

I have included the spreadsheet for anyone interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3acj10kshgrevk/PHEV Nov Test.xls?dl=0

ICE? I keep thinking this is In Car Entertainment....

And ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control, or the Power button?

Did you take into account the radio station? I drive in a most genteel fashion when listening to Classic FM ;)

My gx3h+ yesterday achieved 33.1 miles before ice fired up. Low speeds ,flat, country lanes and urban stop start, very gentle driving , all in Drive no use of regen controls, 13* wet roads, no heat or a/c .
Best I ever achieved in my old gx3h was33.9 - in better conditions.

the outside temperature will be of an issue (or benefit) if it goes more into the extreme ranges, say -10 or plus 30 degrees. I had a look at the spreadsheet (great effort, Neverfuel!) and the temp is pretty constant and doesn't change much to have an effect on the battery.

Cheers from Down Under
BERT

Back