Long distance driving

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaapv said:
I'm probably not advanced enough to go swerving all over the road, not signal and ignore traffic lights, but then I have only done just a bit over a million kms up till now...
All this advanced driving stuff assumes that the driver in question is infallible. I prefer to have a safety margin and to admit to being able to make a mistake or misjudgement, not to mention other drivers on the road doing the same. It has saved me more than once...
It's not swerving all over the road, it's using the road in a manner that improves safety for everyone. A well judged slide over a broken lane separator line can be for anything from getting your car away from standing water on a pot-holed road to being able to see around a high hedge on a blind corner.

I'm in Scotland just now and we're staying away in the countryside on some pretty small roads before civilisation, I left the lane departure warning on yesterday just to see how annoying it was. On one empty and relatively straight road with at least 300m visibility, I drifted towards the centre of the road because parts of the road guttering was deteriorating and was partially covered in standing water, I judged it was not safe for driving on over 30mph so I had a choice: slow down to a speed that was safe and stay in that lane; drive at an unsafe speed and not really know what was under that standing water; or do as I was taught in my advanced driving course and use the maximum safe portions of the highway while there were no other visible road users to distract. The car was nagging at me enough that I turned off the LDW. I can't find out how to turn it permanently off but I will as soon as I get home and spend time with the manual.

Had my 2017 model 2 weeks now just got back from France skiing, at 90 mph 140 kph speed returned 26mpg, range is about 200 miles in real world with 50 miles left on range gauge for a bit of comfort ,takes a bit of getting used to my diesel merc ml would do 600

CraigN said:
jaapv said:
I'm probably not advanced enough to go swerving all over the road, not signal and ignore traffic lights, but then I have only done just a bit over a million kms up till now...
All this advanced driving stuff assumes that the driver in question is infallible. I prefer to have a safety margin and to admit to being able to make a mistake or misjudgement, not to mention other drivers on the road doing the same. It has saved me more than once...
It's not swerving all over the road, it's using the road in a manner that improves safety for everyone. A well judged slide over a broken lane separator line can be for anything from getting your car away from standing water on a pot-holed road to being able to see around a high hedge on a blind corner.

I'm in Scotland just now and we're staying away in the countryside on some pretty small roads before civilisation, I left the lane departure warning on yesterday just to see how annoying it was. On one empty and relatively straight road with at least 300m visibility, I drifted towards the centre of the road because parts of the road guttering was deteriorating and was partially covered in standing water, I judged it was not safe for driving on over 30mph so I had a choice: slow down to a speed that was safe and stay in that lane; drive at an unsafe speed and not really know what was under that standing water; or do as I was taught in my advanced driving course and use the maximum safe portions of the highway while there were no other visible road users to distract. The car was nagging at me enough that I turned off the LDW. I can't find out how to turn it permanently off but I will as soon as I get home and spend time with the manual.
Well, I hit the mute button as soon as I leave the motorway, if only because the system tends to get confused by road markings on secondary roads. I wouldn't be without it on the motorway, though.
I don't think it can be disabled permanently as it is a safety feature. You could try sticking a bit of tape over the sensor, which I think is behind the windscreen above the mirror (but I might be wrong there). There seems to be a press-and-hold trick that works on some cars, but certainly not on mine.
BTW, obeying the legal obligation to indicate before swerving around puddles etc. will mute the LDW. The car provides touch-the-stalk-three-blinks for the purpose.

When I had my test drive in 2015 they gave me a GX4HS as the demo. The rather over precautions ACC and the lane departure warning beeping put me off the 4hs so I got a MY 2016 GX4H instead.
I also test drove a Jaguar XE which had LDW as standard. No beeps just a gentle vibration alert on the steering wheel and a diagram between the dials depicting a car going over the lane markings com for table and not intrusive. The Jag was a very nice drive but the PHEV is much more practical. I also prefer the way that the PHEV sat nav mutes the radio on the driver's side so you can hear the instructions but still hear the radio as well. With the Jag you had either the radio or the sat nav instruction and of course it always gave an instruction when we wanted to listen to the radio. Don't know if there was another setting on the Jag to overcome this.

anko said:
How much would diesel would you add after 600 miles?
Versus how much petrol after 200?
About 90 liters for diesel and 32 for petrol not so much the amount used but the small range, in everyday driving no problem just those cross Europe blasts when you worry about missing petrol station

The LDW stuff strikes me a rather amusing. Mine has never triggered.

Probably because I'd never stray from my lane, without indicating.

I'll have to give it a go, you never know, mine may be broken. (Or is not fitted in Australia, who knows?)

That is what I said: it cures one of sloppy driving. It did in my case, you are clearly a more precise driver than I am (was) :twisted: :lol:

The most annoying thing about the car IMO is the FCM which sometimes starts screaming "BRAKE" when it sees something on the side of the road in a bend. I don't trust it to work at all times in regular situations either.

AndyInOz said:
The LDW stuff strikes me a rather amusing. Mine has never triggered.

Probably because I'd never stray from my lane, without indicating.

I'll have to give it a go, you never know, mine may be broken. (Or is not fitted in Australia, who knows?)
Maybe roads are wider down under?

anko said:
Maybe roads are wider down under?

I wish.

No, unfortunately our roads are narrow, crappy, and often have no shoulders.

But when you're driving inches away from traffic travelling towards you at 100kph, you learn to keep your lane.

(Or die, we have quite a lot of head-on collisions on Australian roads.)

:eek:

AndyInOz said:
The LDW stuff strikes me a rather amusing. Mine has never triggered. (Or is not fitted in Australia, who knows?)

LDW was not fitted on any Australian PHEV models, however it may be available as an option. The MY 2017 due out in Australia around march may have it as I haven't seen the final specs? I think the latest dashcams have LDW and FCM?

Yep, there's a blank button where the LDW control should be.

:lol:

I think it's funny that I didn't even know that it wasn't there.

Just returned from a week and half holiday with no charging facilities and thought I'd post some figures as this started as a long distance thread ;)

Outward trip from Yorkshire to Cotswolds starting fully charged but tank had already covered about 300 miles beforehand with charging 67.3 mpg actual - good but doesn't give a true picture

278 miles sightseeing on mainly country lanes and B roads before refilled tank again gave 34.7 actual - best trip computer (which so far appears to be accurate) showed 41.4 over 40 miles with 5 adults and dog

Return trip 210 miles mainly motorway with cruise set at 70 computer showed 38.3

I'm relatively new to this (5 months/5k miles) but I'm impressed with these figures - I barely achieved figures like this in diesel SUVs

The phev was also very comfortable on the long trips

I bought mine mainly for short trips with electric and ICE if I needed to go a bit further - although it will be rare I was worried about mpg when no electric available but not anymore :mrgreen:

Back