Maintaining SOC while towing

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
As you would expect from a CVT......
[/quote]How could I what? Or are you just trying to lure me and others back into that old discussion again?[/quote]

:D He's seen the light at last![/quote]

Anko : Your second paragraph in the very first post! Surprised me too... :eek:

More seriously, I've noticed that if the battery is freshly charged before use to 100% then the ICE won't start up at all until some battery used, except for heating of course, also regen braking is useless too.

And why not use Save instead of Charge? Surely this effectively does the same, ie charges the battery and by selecting Save at a lower battery SOC will ensure you have ICE availability for when speed allows and regen braking to be effective.

(Not sure if I have explained that adequately!)

Guys, hold your horses. All I said is that it displayed behaviour that you would expect from a CVT. I did not say that it is a CVT or has a CVT, nor did I say that it is not a CVT or has no CVT. I am not going there any more ;-)

Why not use Save mode? Well, in theory, engaging Save mode at highest possible SOC is the same as Charge mode. But in practice it is not, at least not under demanding conditions. When you ask a lot of power at the bottom of the hysteresis cycle, the battery SOC will drop below the low water mark. From then on, Save mode will try to maintain that lower SOC level instead of the original level. It will not try to recover the lost SOC once power demand is reduced. By the handful, you will loose SOC. In Charge mode, SOC can also drop. But at least the cr will try to recover some of the last charge at times of lower power demand.

anko said:
Guys, hold your horses. All I said is that it displayed behaviour that you would expect from a CVT. I did not say that it is a CVT or has a CVT, nor did I say that it is not a CVT or has no CVT. I am not going there any more ;-).............

Thank goodness!

I didn't intend to create a side-track but was reminded of a comment some long time ago which lured me into the trap of thinking the Outlander power train included CVT and then took a bit of a 'pasting' for my naivety.

I just thought that your phrase "As you would expect from a CVT" might imply to some who had not been party to the previous fracas on the subject might be in danger of being mislead.

However. although I only tow a lightweight cargo trailer I'm always interested in discussion of more serious towing issues....so please excuse the interference.

JimB

Back