Maximum mile/kWh

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePHEV

Just interested to see what people are getting as a maximum mile/kWh reading?

Managed 4.3 this morning and think that this is the highest I have seen.

Ages since I looked, but I seem to remember it being between 2 and 2.5 - that would be consistent with the EV range I generally get.

My overall average on the 'Manual' trip meter (which I last reset at my last fill up about 300 miles ago) is 2.8, but on individual trips the highest I have yet seen is 3.4. Only had the car a month or so, and expecting those figures to rise as the weather improves.

So when on auto over a 10 mile drive with 100% EV I seem to be doing OK!

I can only get this if I don't take the motorway to work - and its actually a shorter distance by a few miles and takes about the same.

It seems to me that the problem with the figures produced for both %EV and "miles/kWh" is that the car does not distinguish between the sources of electricity. Ii really should only consider power drawn from the grid (and, possibly, recovered via regeneration) in these figures - if I'm away from home for several days, unable to charge, and have covered a distance well in excess of the 30-odd miles maximum EV range, then the car is running on petrol - either directly or indirectly - and both %EV and miles/kWh should be reading zero! As it is, you could run the car for months without ever charging it and is will still tell you on a daily basis that you are getting 25% EV more or less and 2 or 3 miles/kWh.

It is poor that it doesn't work that out - but on my daily commute I am getting 100% EV and charge every night.

maby said:
if I'm away from home for several days, unable to charge, and have covered a distance well in excess of the 30-odd miles maximum EV range, then the car is running on petrol - either directly or indirectly - and both %EV and miles/kWh should be reading zero! As it is, you could run the car for months without ever charging it and is will still tell you on a daily basis that you are getting 25% EV more or less and 2 or 3 miles/kWh.
I am glad it is not. EV% is a measure for efficiency. The higher the number, the more efficient you have been driving. Even without grid charging. You may be able to see that EV% is higher when average SOC is lower. Also, a higher EV% number means less revolutions of the crankshaft and thus least wear and tear to the engine. :geek:

anko said:
maby said:
if I'm away from home for several days, unable to charge, and have covered a distance well in excess of the 30-odd miles maximum EV range, then the car is running on petrol - either directly or indirectly - and both %EV and miles/kWh should be reading zero! As it is, you could run the car for months without ever charging it and is will still tell you on a daily basis that you are getting 25% EV more or less and 2 or 3 miles/kWh.
I am glad it is not. EV% is a measure for efficiency. The higher the number, the more efficient you have been driving. Even without grid charging. You may be able to see that EV% is higher when average SOC is lower. Also, a higher EV% number means less revolutions of the crankshaft and thus least wear and tear to the engine. :geek:

I don't think this is true - if I were to let the battery run completely flat, then sit in a car park on Charge for the 30 or 40 minutes it would take to recharge the battery, then switch back to Normal and drive till it was flat again, it would show close to 100% EV and, quite possibly, close to 3 miles/kWh - are you going to claim that the car has been running very efficiently or engine wear was close to zero? The current figures for %EV and miles/kWh are very misleading.

maby said:
if I were to let the battery run completely flat, then sit in a car park on Charge for the 30 or 40 minutes it would take to recharge the battery, then switch back to Normal and drive till it was flat again, it would show close to 100% EV and, quite possibly, close to 3 miles/kWh - are you going to claim that the car has been running very efficiently or engine wear was close to zero? The current figures for %EV and miles/kWh are very misleading.
I must agree, I was not taking into account all possible silly driving strategies. I was assuming one would drive the car in a sensible way .... My bad :oops: ;)

anko said:
maby said:
if I were to let the battery run completely flat, then sit in a car park on Charge for the 30 or 40 minutes it would take to recharge the battery, then switch back to Normal and drive till it was flat again, it would show close to 100% EV and, quite possibly, close to 3 miles/kWh - are you going to claim that the car has been running very efficiently or engine wear was close to zero? The current figures for %EV and miles/kWh are very misleading.
I must agree, I was not taking into account all possible silly driving strategies. I was assuming one would drive the car in a sensible way .... My bad :oops: ;)

OK - but I'm just using reductio ad absurdum to point out that the algorithm for calculating the figures is very simple minded. I see no evidence that, once you've used the charge you took from the grid, the %EV and miles/kWh figures are ever particularly meaningful given that "silly driving strategies" will certainly make the figures look very good.

maby said:
anko said:
maby said:

OK - but I'm just using reductio ad absurdum to point out that the algorithm for calculating the figures is very simple minded. I see no evidence that, once you've used the charge you took from the grid, the %EV and miles/kWh figures are ever particularly meaningful given that "silly driving strategies" will certainly make the figures look very good.

And what if you drove everywhere in reverse :lol:

I ran an experiment this evening...

I had a round trip of just over 30 miles to do - mostly motorway. I had forgotten to put the car on charge last night and only remembered mid afternoon, so I left home with just over 50% charge in the battery. I knew that this was not enough to do the entire trip on battery, so I did the outward leg on Save and the return on Normal to use up my charge. Both legs were close to 100% motorway and on the outgoing leg the engine was running most of the time - mostly in parallel hybrid mode. I arrived at my destination with the display showing 31% EV, 62.1 miles/kWh and 34.3mpg.

I did most of the return leg in normal mode and arrived back home with the display showing 34% EV, 3 miles/kWh and 44.6 mpg. I had slightly underestimated my EV range and got back home with 3 miles of estimated EV range left. Does anyone want to claim that these are meaningful figures?

MMC needs to look at the computing section of the ECU and MMCS. very amateur compared to other aspects of the PHEV. A revamp based on public feedback, and included in an upgrade would greatly improve respect for the PHEV.

Back