(Nearly) New Owner

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthspace

Hi,

First of all, many many thanks to all of the posters who have (a) raised questions, and importantly (b) answered them! I have spent many an hour browsing the site and gathering information and intel on the car. It has also assisted greatly in making the final decision.

I am negotiating to buy an ex-Demo GX4h with 350 miles on it. Awaiting the figures for either PHP or HP, as I can put a "chunk" of money down, it maybe HP a better option, just awaiting the figures. At the moment, in the UK, bank loans for vehicles are around 3.5% so it is far cheaper to get a bank loan than the dealer HP (which is three times as expensive!). Will know by Friday which is the better deal. The dealer has it on offer for just under £28k including 5 year warranty and teh service pack.

I will be buying it in my company name, so will be able to off-set corporation tax liability. Also, I will get the company to buy my fuel and under current BiK (5%) and fuel charge, I will pay about £600 in extra tax. As I take dividends instead of a salary, this is advantageous as I am currently drawing within my personal allowance and paying no income tax (although that may change next tax year as they are changing the rules).

I have managed to answer my questions that I had thanks to this site (which appears to be the best of the choices out there on the web).

Just a couple of points unanswered, but maybe . . . .

Dash Cam. I have one on my current car and will change it over. Sits hidden behind the rearview mirror. I had problems finding a permanent supply on my Nissan, but I discovered that the interior light, by the mirror, had 12v to it permanently (I assume to be "ready" for an open door). I fitted a 12v to 5v lead between the cam and the light. There was plenty of room in the headlining for the 12v/5v converter so it all tucked away very neatly. So, the question - has anyone popped the light out of the headlining and put a metre across the terminals?

Charge Cable - Type 1-Type 2. Saw a post with a useful link to a Chinese site but the site keeps 404-ing when I fill in the enquiry form. Did a search and went through lots of UK/EUR/WW sites and found a UK one where the prices (in £) seem reasonable, so will be speaking to them shortly.

http://evbitz.uk/EVBitz.uk/T2_T1_Cables_-_1P.html

I'll post again when I get the car and start the tweaks (Main beam upgrade, LED side / DLR upgrade etc)

Jeff

You need a type1 to type 2 cable - I got on to the Besen site (China) & messaged them but got an email back from evcables .co.uk with a price (this was for several cables) and a link to the website below - on their website the price doesn't seem any different to what I was quoted

https://evcables.co.uk/evcables/premium-coiled-j1772-charging-cable/

They have a 5 meter coiled 16A cable at £133 or a standard 5m 16A at £116 ( plus carriage & VAT) or some 32A cables at similar prices ( some people have posted that the 32A ones are less likely to error with some of the public chargers)

I'm waiting for a 2016MY GX3+ to arrive in the next week or so plus a colleague is also getting one at the same time ( another colleague has a 2015 GX3 leather)

hi there, don't know where you are based, but if in Scotland it is possible to apply for an interest free loan to purchase an EV. Also, I did the same as you as a company owner, main car driver and I used a PCP arrangement. On the subject of cable, I purchased these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YMZ99CY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

For the record, I have a black GX4h and had it for just under 4 weeks. It has done 425 miles and not used a drop of petrol and charging costs have been around £25 so far!

Thanks, linton944 and lg1726 for the useful information.

I verbally agreed the paperwork this afternoon for a purchase of the vehicle thru my company. I am in Cambridge area so no interest-free options. The difference between a business loan, Mitsubishi loan, PCP + bubble all came out roughly the same after 48 months so I have decided to buy it outright.

The car will be a 2014 GX4h, Glacier Blue, heavily discounted and "pre-registered" but otherwise as new.

I tried the chinese site, but got nowhere because of website issues, so great to have a UK link as well. I like the idea of a curly lead, they are sometimes more managable, but I did have a garden hose like that and it was a nightmare as it was infested with Knotting Gremlins so could never be pulled out :)

Now waiting to put ink on paper (so old fashioned) and sort out a delivery date.

Thanks again,

Jeff

I'm also a Nearly new owner...

I test drove the GX4hs yesterday, and have negotiated an extended test drive at the end of the week to see if it's really what I want - given that I currently have a Mazda6 2.2D hatchback. If it's a go, then it'll be delivered mid Nov, in Orient Red.

My biggest concern is the handling; I'm not going to pootle around in it - so the B0 - B5 is of interest to me - I think it may compensate for not having a manual gearbox.

Also new to Mitsubishi, am interested - what are Angel Eyes?

Also - anybody got any info on servicing - where to go, where not to go in the south of the UK?

It'll have to be charged whilst on the driveway - is the connection fairly weather proof? What about scumbag-thieving-git proof?

Hi, Ollycat,

I can't answer all your questions but here's my thinking on a couple.

Handling is much better than I thought it would be, possibly because of the hefty battery pack giving a low centre of gravity. Haven't had it break free of me yet!

Not sure what your thinking of with B0-B5, they only concern the amount of regeneration put back into the battery under deceleration. B0 is effectively free-wheeling, B5 is equivalent to light engine braking in a manual car (in my opinion). With no gears to play with, it doesn't qualify as a true "drivers" car, if that's what you're looking for. But it's surprisingly nifty for a 2 ton car.

Angel eyes are those circular driving lights, Mitsu can supply them, (not sure if they're standard fitments now?) or you can get after market ones for about a tenner, and stick them on the existing DRLs. Many on here have done that and are pleased with the effect, including me.

The supplied charging "brick" is weatherproofed quite well, but Mitsu do suggest not using it in prolonged heavy rain. Regarding the low-lifes who will nick anything even if they don't know what it is - what can you do? Others park the car on the lead, or pass a loop through a wheel spoke. The car connector does have a small opening for a tiny padlock, but whether that's a deterrent, who knows?

Ollycat said:
It'll have to be charged whilst on the driveway - is the connection fairly weather proof? What about scumbag-thieving-git proof?

Mine is also charged on the driveway, but have a charger unit installed which is totally weatherproof. We have left it charging overnight in the rain etc and I've not heard of any weather related issues!

'Scumbag-thieving-git proof' - we lock the drive gates at night, but also had the charging unit installed in a position that kind of hides it a bit. Sort of tucked behind a garden storage box so that it is not obvious unless the scumbag-thieving-git is very up close!

Ollycat said:

The POD point charger I have ordered has a tethered lead, so there is nothing to nick. Vandals can cut the lead or do other damage, but at a risk of electrocution, so not a concern for me if they join the Darwin Awards club :)

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

If you are worried about anyone approaching the car, then I would suggest a driveway alarm. This is a small infrared sensor (like a burglar alarm sensor) and a very loud "ding dong" unit in the house. Range in excess of 400 yards (tested from a barn to a house).
This is what I bought. Cheap and very good. I modified it by sticking a piece of card over the alarm sounder as it can cause heart attacks or spilt tea when it goes off :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARAGE-SE...LESS-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-DRIVEWAY-/171761599553

Jeff

Regulo said:
Not sure what your thinking of with B0-B5, they only concern the amount of regeneration put back into the battery under deceleration. B0 is effectively free-wheeling, B5 is equivalent to light engine braking in a manual car (in my opinion). With no gears to play with, it doesn't qualify as a true "drivers" car, if that's what you're looking for. But it's surprisingly nifty for a 2 ton car.

But you can use B on the joy stick - pull once into B3, twice into B5 - to simulate engine breaking by changing down in an ordinary geared car. I use this when turning to kill speed and them flick the joy stick into D (B2) when part way round and paddle back to B0 as I accelerate out of the turn. Probably not especially efficient but gives you the same effect (and satisfaction) of turning corners fast in a geared car - also gives me something to do with my hands after 50 years of non-auto driving :lol:

Ollycat said:

..................If it's a go, then it'll be delivered mid Nov, in Orient Red...........................

That colour looks fantastic 'in the flesh', very few pictures / videos seem to do it justice.

I'm waiting for the same colour off the same boat!

Ollycat said:
Not mine.... :cry:

End Nov!!

My dealer had misinformed me - it isn't scheduled to land at Avonmouth until around 11th November so I'll be about the same time as you.

Look for an Orient Red light emanating from the South West around that time and start travelling towards it :arrow: bearing gifts of.....charging cables, mini mat sets, OBD dongles...

;)

Back