Neutral gives a "no arrow" situation...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboom

Hi All,

Anyone knock it into neutral when waiting at traffic lights?

I've started to apply the handbrake and put it into neutral as it stops sapping energy from the drive battery.

No need to apply the footbrake when reselecting drive either. ;)

Thanks! :D

Kaboom said:
Hi All,

I've started to apply the handbrake and put it into neutral as it stops sapping energy from the drive battery.

Yes every time and I put the handbrake on - after 50 years of driving with a manual gearbox, I need something to do with my hands :lol:

I have found the foot brake has 2 positions: a light touch will stop the car but leave motor engaged; pushing down more firmly disengages motor until you lift your foot off - then motor re-engages.

jaapv said:
Nope, I use the P button, except when I anticipate a short wait..

Same here... My only problem is that I'm so used to the Prius that I frequently turn the PHEV off at the traffic lights - the "P" button on the Prius is where the power button is on the Outlander. It can be embarrassing when the lights turn green and you find that the car will not move!

greendwarf said:
Kaboom said:
Hi All,

Yes every time and I put the handbrake on - after 50 years of driving with a manual gearbox, I need something to do with my hands :lol:

hahahahahahahahaha!! :lol:

I've always had a manual gearbox, and the "idle" force in drive strikes me as a retarded solution.

I would consider a slight pull when "idling" in drive as a side effect of a mechanical automatic gearbox - why would anyone like to replicate that?
It's like putting a mock horse head in front of the car.

If the reason is to teach the driver to hold the car, why not apply the brakes automatically when stopped, until the driver steps on it?

karl said:
I've always had a manual gearbox, and the "idle" force in drive strikes me as a retarded solution.

I would consider a slight pull when "idling" in drive as a side effect of a mechanical automatic gearbox - why would anyone like to replicate that?
It's like putting a mock horse head in front of the car.

If the reason is to teach the driver to hold the car, why not apply the brakes automatically when stopped, until the driver steps on it?

I find it quit useful to "creep" in London's traffic jams just using the brake - perhaps the Japanese do to? - it is also "safer" than using the accelerator, as the car won't suddenly shoot forward if pedal is overpressed. :eek:

TRT said:
I have found the foot brake has 2 positions: a light touch will stop the car but leave motor engaged; pushing down more firmly disengages motor until you lift your foot off - then motor re-engages.
But you do dazzle the driver behind with your brake lights.

I don't like having to press heavily on the break for long periods at lights so I put it into park.
I'm learning to quickly start off again but it's not as fast as in my old manual car.
I tried putting it into neutral but there is a delay before it will go into it and I kept getting caught out with my timings so I stick with the park break now as it seems more consistent.

The wide button to the front of the gear lever with a P on it that lights up green when you press it.
I also put the handbrake on.
Then I take my foot off the foot break and relax until the lights change.

I find that if I am on a hill (lots around where I live) the car can slump back a couple of inches before the electric locking bites.
I don't want to hit anyone behind me with my tow ball. :shock:

TRT said:

Thanks for this. I had not found this out until you said. Works for my Outlander too.

Complicated car the more you scratch beneath the surface, eh?

Fantastic, though. :D

P button here.

Just be sure not to hit it before you stop. :)

If the car is still rolling even very slowly and you hit P,
it will jerk violently back and forth, not slow down
like when applying hand brake.

Back