New GX5H

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPaul

From Mitsubishi Motors UK on facebook. No pictures included in post -

"We wanted to introduce you to the brand new Mitsubishi Outlander GX5 PHEV.

This takes our plug-in hybrid model to even higher levels of comfort and luxury. In addition to the very high level of standard specification you've come to expect, additional features on this one include a choice of bespoke Nappa leather interiors, a premium Alpine audio system, side steps, a new rear spoiler, front and rear heated seats, LED mood lighting and puddle lamps.

Prices start from £37,899 (post Government grant).

We'd like to know what you think, folks!"

Typical, 2 months after I get my GH4hs.

However, thinking about it and looking at the GX5hs specs:

Premium Quality mat set - have that, it's not.
Twin rear USB charging port - Not bad.
Premium leather interior - Could be interesting, like the black leather I have though.
Side steps - never had them on any 4x4, first thing to get wrecked when going off-road
A new rear spoiler - Hmmm...
Front and rear heated seats - Heated rear seats is nice, had them on my RR, not enough to make me want it.
LED mood lighting - bling meh.
Puddle lamps - ditto - had them on the RR.
"OUTLANDER" written across the bonnet - hmmm...
LED Fog lamps and DRLs - now that is nice, but can be fitted aftermarket and I haven't bothered.

So, looking at it I doubt I would order the GX5hs today if I was looking at them, the extra per month another £5k would add to my lease would not be worth it unless it included a massively improved MMCS. Just sounds like a 'bling edition' to me.

The reason I went for the GX4hs was the ACC and I love it, key feature of the car for me with how I use it.

Regulo said:
Nah!! I'll wait for the G8h. The rate they're going, it'll be out in 6 months! :lol:

Is that the rumoured model with the 400 mile battery? Nice... ;)

BeeJay said:
Regulo said:
Nah!! I'll wait for the G8h. The rate they're going, it'll be out in 6 months! :lol:

No, that's the GX7H. The GX8H is the up-rated model - charge it once and forget it - lasts the lifetime of the car. ;)

Regulo said:
BeeJay said:
Regulo said:

No, that's the GX7H. The GX8H is the up-rated model - charge it once and forget it - lasts the lifetime of the car. ;)

It's the one with the Flux Capacitor that I am waiting for...

Shirley they've made a mistake on the price? An extra £5k for plusher leather, a louder stereo and some LEDs? Looks like Mitsubishi have hit upon a plan to massively increase their margin by creaming people trading across from "premium" brands. Not sure they're being all that cunning. What's giving me second thoughts is not the plushness, but the usability of the MMCS and the laclustre aesthetics. This looks like the proverbial rolling in glitter.

I absolutely love the interior and the sidesteps
When I bought mine I said I was happy but the only thing that let the car down was the interior and I do like sidesteps
I like the name being written on the bonnet
I wish I'd known

I do hope that red is not the only choice for interior leather - that is FOUL. (referring to the two interior pictures on the UK website - http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/models.aspx )

I must admit though that black leather would look nicer on the trim strips than the white plastic with grid pattern on that is there today...

I do like that they've covered the handbrake in something to stop it looking and feeling like it came out of the 1980s.

TallPaul said:
From Mitsubishi Motors UK on facebook. No pictures included in post -

"We wanted to introduce you to the brand new Mitsubishi Outlander GX5 PHEV.

This takes our plug-in hybrid model to even higher levels of comfort and luxury. In addition to the very high level of standard specification you've come to expect, additional features on this one include a choice of bespoke Nappa leather interiors, a premium Alpine audio system, side steps, a new rear spoiler, front and rear heated seats, LED mood lighting and puddle lamps.

Prices start from £37,899 (post Government grant).

We'd like to know what you think, folks!"

I wish I'd known about the model before I purchased mine bit upset now

Olibol said:
Shirley they've made a mistake on the price? An extra £5k for plusher leather, a louder stereo and some LEDs? Looks like Mitsubishi have hit upon a plan to massively increase their margin by creaming people trading across from "premium" brands. Not sure they're being all that cunning. What's giving me second thoughts is not the plushness, but the usability of the MMCS and the laclustre aesthetics. This looks like the proverbial rolling in glitter.

In marketing you need 3 choices - with customers plumping for the Goldilocks option. So this would appear to be an effort to drag potential GX3 buyers up to the Gx4. The attraction for existing owners (& Mitsu) would be that most of the Gx5 options could be retro fitted to our cars e.g. side steps, LED side/headlamps etc.

An extra 5K for that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If you have 5k burning a hole, go on a nice holiday, buy a motorcycle, buy a restored MG Midget or Spitfire as a Summer toy.

Not exactly a major facelift but definitely a step (sic) in the right direction. The first thing I did when I bought my PHEV was to fit side steps as well as the Sport bodykit, LED DRLs,and a few other minor cosmetic mods, making it a little different from the standard car. One of my only criticisms when I test drove it was the rather drab, uninteresting interior and the lack of support from the seats, so the new design is welcomed (although they could have done it a few months ago when I was waving cheque books around :cry:

As for the extra lighting, it is just a bit of bling which will probably not sway any new buyers, especially when you consider the new higher price :shock:

Oh dear. I have to agree that £5k+ for a few bling add-ons is terrible value.
Being cynical, I suspect that they have misread and underestimated the Outlander PHEV's appeal to those who normally drive Rangies or Discoverys - many of whom are urban dwellers. Presumably some of the feedback from dealers is that it isn't "upmarket" enough. The bonnet decals (very er Land Rover) rather give it away.
It looks like a rather sad,belated attempt to rectify the issue.
Also I think that they realise that they could have charged more (given demand) and this is an attempt to push up margins.
I'm still very happy with the spec on my GX4!

gobiman said:
I suspect that they have misread and underestimated the Outlander PHEV's appeal to those who normally drive Rangies or Discoverys - many of whom are urban dwellers. Presumably some of the feedback from dealers is that it isn't "upmarket" enough. The bonnet decals (very er Land Rover) rather give it away.
It looks like a rather sad,belated attempt to rectify the issue.

Spot on gobi - my thoughts exactly :)

Not sure I understand the Alpine Stereo thing as, from the pics, the head unit is the same.

CJ

CJ1045 said:
Not sure I understand the Alpine Stereo thing as, from the pics, the head unit is the same.

CJ

Ah - just checked and the specs do include "Premium Alpine audio system".

I can see that being an amp and some uprated speakers, DSP and subwoofer - all from the same head unit probably.

Disappointed I couldn't have the off-white leather like they get in Europe, or even in Ireland, I have seen a video review of someone driving a PHEV with off white leather. Especially annoying as it shows they have this interior already made in right hand drive then. So why not offer it in the UK?

Back