On verge of buying, but have reservations!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some fairly detailed modelling before we bought out PHEV, taking into account the price I was paying for both petrol and electricity in the UK then (about two and a half years ago). At that time, the best running cost I could achieve, assuming that I only drove within EV range and effectively consumed no petrol, was the equivalent of about 200mpg.

maby said:
I did some fairly detailed modelling before we bought out PHEV, taking into account the price I was paying for both petrol and electricity in the UK then (about two and a half years ago). At that time, the best running cost I could achieve, assuming that I only drove within EV range and effectively consumed no petrol, was the equivalent of about 200mpg.

Per my consumption .. I see ~6kwh consumed (7kwh from the home net) .. for make ~25km ... mapped to the local cost of fuel and electricity it is ~150MPG equivalent

Ideally with 52km done with 10kwh ... then we maybe around 200mpg equivalent

I have a 30 mile commute each way, up and downhill for 15 miles at the start (mendips to somerset levels) , amd uphill at the end on my return. Since May, when I got the car, I have measured my consumption with fuelly. My overall average is 65.8 mpg - but that includes multiple trips away with my 1.5 tonne caravan (incl. a trip to Bordeaux which killed the mpg) - so I'm very impressed with that. I do charge at work though before the return.

In the summer I can get to work 100% on EV most of the time, on return about 97% due to hills at end of the journey. I filled up yesterday and my trip average was 98.8mpg - the ICE does run much more in winter (quite frustrating at first) BUT I am still saving a lot of money when compared to my previous car a diesel CRV which I was filling up every 8 days, and getting around 35mpg incl towing, 42 mpg solo. I'm also using the car at weekends on longer trips probably like you will with your trip to the caravan - so that will drag down my weekly average.

The good news for you is that if you are downhill most of the way you will likely not use petrol or EV... the car will coast quite nicely downhill. The weight of the car will give you a boost with the momemtum, so you might have much of your range left for the journey home.

I would say go for it especially if the opportunity to charge at work might arise. Take a look on fuelly at my stats if you wish - you can quite clearly see when I am towing, as mgp drops to around 20-25mpg...then whilst on holiday we do long daily trips so the usual trip average is around 55-65mpg. BTW You might have a heavy right foot now, but you may find, as I did, that your aim of saving range will mean you foot becomes a lot lighter! :)

Thank you Albacore, and all the other posters. Your comments have been very helpful. I went out for a test drive yesterday in a 16 plate 5hs and was very impressed. I did a mixture of round town, dual carriageways and hills. Did about 10 miles in total, floored it on occasion but I still managed to increase the battery range. Loved everything about the car. The height, room inside, driving position, layout, how responsive it was and the quietness! Thanks to all of you I was able to ask lots of questions too, which has really put my mind at rest. Had a phone call yesterday to say the 4h I had reserved will be ready to collect on Monday so can't wait now! The 2 series I test drove afterwards just couldn't come close! Just hoping the car I've reserved will be ok and I'll soon be a happy PHEV owner!! :D Thanks again everyone. So glad I found this forum!!

Cymrusue said:
Did about 10 miles in total, floored it on occasion but I still managed to increase the battery range.

Not sure exactly what you are meaning, but the only way to increase the level of battery charge is to either use the 'Charge' button (which fires up the ICE and uses petrol) or to use regenerative braking, but unless you are on a pretty severe long downhill section this will only make a minor difference.

Are you referring to the range shown on the MMCS display ? If so, please be aware that this a highly subjective and unscientific measurement and is not especially accurate. It uses your previous driving history (over what exact period I'm not sure) to try and estimate how far you will get with the current level of battery charge if you drive to exactly the same style. It is possible for this number to go up and down quite significantly, but this doesnt mean that the battery level has increased, or that you will actually get the range predicted.

For all those reasons, the range display is commonly referred to on this forum as the 'guessometer' ! :D

Well, thanks to everyone who has provided information on here. I have now taken the plunge and bought a 16 plate GX4H in white from my local Mitsubishi dealer. Can't wait to collect it now at the end of the week, hopefully. Looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it! :D xx

Cymrusue said:
Well, thanks to everyone who has provided information on here. I have now taken the plunge and bought a 16 plate GX4H in white from my local Mitsubishi dealer. Can't wait to collect it now at the end of the week, hopefully. Looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it! :D xx

Best of luck, and keep us posted on here with how you get on with your new beauty!

Quick update following my purchase on Friday. I got it home on 85% ev, which I thought was marvelous! Didn't check the mpg at that point though. Didn't take it to the caravan this week but have just taken it out on 2 journeys. First to take my boy free running. 95% ev and 256mpg on that trip. Charged the car for 1.5hrs then went to pick him up again. Still managed 75% ev and 50.7mpg. So, overall I've saved quite an it compared to the BMW and so am very happy. Tried out the heated seats and steering wheel too instead of putting heaters on. Lush!!! Did put heaters on during drive back and impressed at how quickly they warmed everything up. Next test, work tomorrow but overall so far I'm extremely pleased with my new baby!! :D

BTW wanted to add a photo of my new baby to this post but can't see how to add photos.Any ideas?

You need to host your photo on a site like for instance Photobucket and link to it, either by using the
color]

Back