OWNERS TOP THREE SUGGESTIONS FOR MITSUBISHI

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo59

Consolidated List Of Requested Changes:

(Assumed) Software Only Changes:
Pure EV Mode
EV Parameter options (eg. Ability to prevent ICE running for heating)
No / less Beeps
Ability to switch off the turn by turn directions on the instrument panel
Faster MMCS
Easier to use MMCS
Tablet / Phone Integration / Duplication with Screen
Easier Sat Nav Destination Entry
More Voice Control Functions (Other Than Phone)
Default Start With Previous Settings / Sticky Buttons (Eco Mode / LDW / AVAS Screen etc),
3 Digit Mpg Reading on all screens
One button click in App to start heater now
More power reserves made available for charging while towing a caravan

Hardware Changes:
Heated Front Screen
More EV Range
Bigger Petrol Tank
Non Flush Roof Rails
More Internal Storage
Red Paint (/Other Colours)
Backward Compatibility of Future Battery Improvements
Spare Wheel
Full (x4) Front Parking Sensors for Models Without ACC/LDW
Improved Ride / Suspension
Bi Xenon or Similar Main Beams
Boot / Tailgate to Open Further
Better Back Seat Layout / Seatbelt Arrangement for 3 Children
3G/4G Mobile App in Lieu of wifi
More Intuitive set-ups eg. for disabling interior alarm, connecting phones etc.
Select 6/10/16 amp (10 default) on the box (not fixed 10)

Also requested for Gx3h (but already available on Gx4h):
Electric Heating
Self configuration of folding mirrors, windscreen wipers to std intermittent or speed intermittent

I hope that I've interpreted everybody's requests correctly. Obviously I've had to abbreviate some. PM me {maddogsetc} if I've got something wrong and I'll change it as soon as I have time.

Original Post follows:

Having been on a two mile round trip this morning with the ICE wasting fuel I thought I'd start a new thread on our top three suggestions for Mitsubishi to change/add on the PHEV via a software update. It is intended to be succinct in the hope that Mitsubishi will take notice of the inputs. To this end I'd prefer that we do not debate the merits of each suggestion. Just list them. :)

My own top three:

1) EV only facility or parameter setting please
(On a trip to the shops of 2 miles there and back, I do not want to switch off the heater to stop the ICE. There is more than enough power in a fully charged battery to cope with two miles in a 30mph zone and heat the car too)

2) No beeps until I put it in drive
(I want to be able to sit in the car for a few moments without being beeped at to put on a seat belt - I am not going anywhere yet - thankyou - beep when I am)

3) Ability to switch off the turn by turn directions on the instrument panel
(The sat nav is clear enough thank you - no need to duplicate it if I do not wish to see it on the instrument display)

Bilbo59 said:
1) EV only facility or parameter setting please
(On a trip to the shops of 2 miles there and back, I do not want to switch off the heater to stop the ICE. There is more than enough power in a fully charged battery to cope with two miles in a 30mph zone and heat the car too)
Totally agree. Two remarks, though:
- Pre-heating sufficiently allows you to do so. For the trip to the shop, you can do that using the standard PHEV App (assuming you car is parked near your house). For the trip back home, you can do that using the PHEV app icw solutions provided by GOS, either free or paid.
- I guess your previous car did not warm up in 2 miles either, did it? ;)

Truly sorry. Overlooked that bit of your opening post. Mods, feel free to remove this and my previous comment.

Although I must say: I wonder what the value of such list is, if it must remain undebated. Why should Mitsubishi value such a list? Look at it this way, after my comment, do you equally desire to have a pure EV button?

Your comment represents what in engineering is called a 'workaround'. Yes it is possible to plan a trip to the shops - go out - pre warm the car - then get in a go to the shops. And yes, in a normal vehicle, the car would not be warm.

However, I don't have a normal vehicle now. I have a PHEV with a battery capacity large enough for me to go two miles on a cold day with the heater on and not use ICE. The only thing stopping it is the way it is programmed. Ergo - change the programming, or provide me with a software button that allows me to choose how to use my battery charge.

Alternatively - I can decide to give up any spontaneous or reactive behaviour that involves using my car, which I bought so I could do short journeys without ICE, without using an app to pre-heat it.

Or, I could just leave the heater off and wear a coat!!! Or I could just accept a flaw in the cars programming/controls and use ICE.

This is a no-brainer for anyone with a technical outlook - change the programme or provide an overide! Leave the safety protocols in place so no damage can be caused to the engine etc.

Anyway. With my business hat on - If I was Mitsubishi, I would love a succinct list of top 3 requests from real life users without having to trawl through acres of debates/pro's cons, workrounds etc. They are obviously interested in some capacity as they apparently have face to face user forums - with tea and sandwiches!!

I was also interested in pulling together what others see as their improvement priorities which are currently scattered throughout other threads.

In total I'm very satisfied with the phev but there is always something....

1. Better far headlights, they are really really bad. Low beam is very good.

2. No beeps or bongs until I put in drive.

3. Easier access to the phonebook, too much fiddeling with buttons now.

/R

1. Noise control!! allow the user to either turn off the bongs and beeps that are not wanted (preferred) or allow volume reduction. Just look at how many users have unplugged the boot opening beeper, or placed tape over it to muffle it. Same goes for seatbelt, its dark/its light, car charged/not charged and all the other klaxons and hooters. NB - makes the mitsu seem lower class compared to the majors.
2. Minimise ICE/allow just EV mode ok with a large drain on the battery or to enable safe/fast ICE starts, it may need to run a bit if I haven't done pre-heating, but the ICE kicks in much more than essential.
3. Make the MMCS worth the money MMCS is woeful compared to competitors. Slow processor so start up screen can be timed using a calendar not a stopwatch. Bluetooth track names are not pulled through. Its clunky

Great car, citing the 3 points above to help make it better IMO.
If I was allowed a 4th suggestion , it would be auto-door lock when underway (combine that with start of seatbelt warning as opposed to the seatbelt warning klaxon sounding as soon as car turned on? In UK its legal to reverse in/out of a parking space with no seatbelt for example I believe)

1. Allow smartphone/ipad screen duplication on MMCS, as the unit itself is barely usable and no-one needs to be tied to a sat-nav vendor these days $$$

2. Provide the option of a properly heated front windscreen so it can defrost quickly

3. Much MUCH larger petrol tank.

Hmm! GX4 users so far - so from a Gx3 owner:-

1. Non flush roof rails - so I can actually tie down loads safely

2. More internal storage - especially a second seat back pouch, where am I supposed to put my maps without the MMCS?

3. Red paint option - like those polluting diesels get :evil:

1) Easier entry of destinations.
2) Voice control of functions other than the phone
3) Nothing else really - well, I would like more EV range, but we are being realistic here and they are not going to triple the battery capacity!

For GX3h

1. Electric Heat Option.
2. Auto start with previous settings (ECO Mode by example).
3. Self configuration of folding mirrors, windscreen wipers to std intermittent or speed intermittent.

For software update only changes that can be made

1. No 1 has to be an EV only option.
2. Expand the MPG field to 3 digits so you can see what you are achieving over 99.9.
3. MMCS remembers your previous display option so you don't have to always start on the map.

About EV only - this is not an EV car as such - it is a hybrid, albeit a plug-in one. I cannot find it unlogical that it lacks an EV-only button, and it could well be a safety thing, as E-only would reduce max power.
Just imagine attempting an overtaking manoeuvre with the car throttled down to EV and the driver thinking it is on full power...

You could make it make it a poll.
Believe me, I am moderator on a couple of other forums, one much larger than this one.
Unless a thread deals with facts, it calls for opinions (as this one does) and there will be discussion - this type of thread always has it.

But as you request it, I will leave it at this comment. :)

1.Faster MMCS start up
2. Remember key settings (especially Eco mode) on start up
3. Promise that future battery cell technology will be backward compatible with the PHEV so we have hope of greater EV range in future (and when the 5 year warranty expires)

GX3 owner

Few months in now and no real complaints with the car. Would like to see -

1. A spare wheel/tyre (there must be a way to fit this in/under the rear of the car)
2.. Front parking sensors (why not have full sensors especially if you've not got the extra auto adjust cruise control, lane departure kit installed - there's nothing for them to interfere with).
3... Improve the ride/suspension a bit. Find the general road handling ok for a vehicle this size but suspension does feel a bit harsh on bumpy/poor tarmac.

1. EV only mode (jaap arguments are irrelevant, flooring the gas pedal could disengage EV mode, as brakes disengage cruise.)

2. Faster MMCS start up and remember key settings (especially Eco mode, display mode) on start up

3. Promise that future battery cell technology will be backward compatible with the PHEV so we have hope of greater EV range in future (and when the 5 year warranty expires)

Back