Remaining Miles Showing '---' Is really Silly

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddavenpo

I have seen other comments on this but I would like to also comment. Personally I think it's really rather stupid, that just when you really need to know how many miles you have left, to know if you could or could not get to a particular petrol station etc, that it shows you nothing. I appreciate it can get a bit inaccurate when a small amount of petrol is sloshing around in the tank, but that is just when you really DO need to know what you have left. It should continue to show the best it can until extremely low - other cars can do it, so could the Outlander. It's also a ridiculously small petrol tank, but don't get me started on that - I now find myself visiting petrol stations twice as much as I used to in previous cars. Other than that it's a great car and I like to drive it.

ddavenpo said:
It's also a ridiculously small petrol tank, but don't get me started on that - I now find myself visiting petrol stations twice as much as I used to in previous cars.

This is a bit harsh. Firstly the car is designed to primarily be a city car with the assumption, no doubt, that users will be able to re-charge frequently. And this is true for a number of contributors, including myself. Secondly, we've already had to sacrifice boot space for the batteries so a bigger tank would further reduce the capacity. Thirdly a full tank still gives over 250 miles, well over the 2.5 hour driving without a break recommended limit. Fourthly, a bigger tank would mean further reduction in performance carrying around the weight of unused fuel.

Finally, if you really are visiting petrol stations twice as often this suggests previous cars were more economical or your usage pattern is not "ideal" i.e. you're doing mainly non-EV driving. If so, and this is due to the tax advantage, that is hardly Mitsu's fault - they don't dictate UK Gov't policy.

The tank *is* small.

Its a compromise to fit the battery, and also maybe to limit the time the fuel stays in the tank so it won't go stale- something that Mitsubishi seems to be worried about.

Maybe a reason makes it less irritating :)

When the blue color of fuel gauge entirely disappears, the mode automatically switches in EV (I assume you were on Save mode).
At this moment, you have 5 liters in the tank and you can evaluate how many miles you can drive with these 5 liters.
Of course you have to add the EV range (another evaluation, more complicated :mrgreen: ).

greendwarf said:

Finally, if you really are visiting petrol stations twice as often this suggests previous cars were more economical or your usage pattern is not "ideal" i.e. you're doing mainly non-EV driving.

Not sure that follows - I do have to fill up the Outlander more often than I did the Landcruiser - but the Landie tank is enormous - it holds close to £100 worth of diesel vs. the £40 (ish) of petrol the PHEV takes... I reckon I'm getting around 45mpg in the PHEV vs. around 20mpg in the Landie.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

Finally, if you really are visiting petrol stations twice as often this suggests previous cars were more economical or your usage pattern is not "ideal" i.e. you're doing mainly non-EV driving.

Not sure that follows - I do have to fill up the Outlander more often than I did the Landcruiser - but the Landie tank is enormous - it holds close to £100 worth of diesel vs. the £40 (ish) of petrol the PHEV takes... I reckon I'm getting around 45mpg in the PHEV vs. around 20mpg in the Landie.

Ah, I see, poetic licence - if you're getting better than twice the consumption with less than half sized tank then you're actually topping up the same number of times, unless you are travelling more miles. ;)

greendwarf said:
ddavenpo said:
It's also a ridiculously small petrol tank, but don't get me started on that - I now find myself visiting petrol stations twice as much as I used to in previous cars.

This is a bit harsh. Firstly the car is designed to primarily be a city car with the assumption, no doubt, that users will be able to re-charge frequently. And this is true for a number of contributors, including myself. Secondly, we've already had to sacrifice boot space for the batteries so a bigger tank would further reduce the capacity. Thirdly a full tank still gives over 250 miles, well over the 2.5 hour driving without a break recommended limit. Fourthly, a bigger tank would mean further reduction in performance carrying around the weight of unused fuel.

Finally, if you really are visiting petrol stations twice as often this suggests previous cars were more economical or your usage pattern is not "ideal" i.e. you're doing mainly non-EV driving. If so, and this is due to the tax advantage, that is hardly Mitsu's fault - they don't dictate UK Gov't policy.

100 % agreed.

In average I do well over 1200 km on one tank. Extremes to the upside were 2200 and 3800 km. Extreme on the other side of the spectrum was 330 km. This was while towing a 1500 kg caravan across the Belgium Ardennes.

My previous Diesel Outlander had a 60 liter tank and in average I did less than 600 km on one tank.

Ridiculously small tank? Kinda depends.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

Over 2700 miles im averaging, using the trip computer manual average that doesnt reset, im getting 68mpg. 45mpg would be a 'without' charge average for me...

I do mixed driving, meaning that some days it is all EV, but on others I need to make longer journeys. The latter shows up the small size of the fuel tank.

As others have said, this is to save weight. I can't agree with the suggestion that there isn't room for a larger tank; you just need to look underneath the rear of the car to see a large-ish void space.

For my use of the car, I would prefer a larger tank. However, I can see that for some the present tank is the best size. That said, with a larger tank then at least you have the choice about how much fuel you carry. Those that are concerned over the excess weight only
need to half fill it.

I previously had a 'high-performance' car that had the worst of both worlds, specifically a small tank to save weight combined with low mpg. The constant refuelling stops really did irritate.

gazter76 said:
maby said:
greendwarf said:

Over 2700 miles im averaging, using the trip computer manual average that doesnt reset, im getting 68mpg. 45mpg would be a 'without' charge average for me...

That is effectively my usage of the vehicle - four or five days per week driving around 10 miles per day and two or three days per week driving around 100 miles. Those four or five days are almost entirely EV, but they are drowned out by the other two or three days.

Back