SatNav on a 4H - Where?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paule23

Hello All

I've just had a nice new 4H delivered, and as per the specs this should have a HDD SatNav. Only problem is I can only see the SmartAudio system and no satnav.

Am i being stupid? Is the SatNav hidden in some menu I have not found?

Paule23 said:
Hello All

I've just had a nice new 4H delivered, and as per the specs this should have a HDD SatNav. Only problem is I can only see the SmartAudio system and no satnav.

Am i being stupid? Is the SatNav hidden in some menu I have not found?

I am assuming this is a new 2018 model - as I understand it, they have dispensed with the (?awful) MMCS to use Android/Apple play.

Glenn

According to the latest online brochure, if its the new 2018 4H, I believe that the sunroof is no longer there either - but you will have a heated windscreen and as hungrymackem says it will have Android / Apple Play and you can run a Sat nav through a phone App. I suspect that many dealers may have the old brochure, which may cause some confusion. If you are not happy about this you may be able to reject the car and still get a new 2017 model , but that may depend on the dealer. Hope it works out OK.

I got my new 4H last Tuesday and can confirm that as its a 2018 model the MMCS with built in nav has been replaced with the SLD that relies on Carplay or Android Auto. Also sunroof has been deleted from spec but heated windscreen added. The brocures are still showing the 2017 model as there are still a few left to be sold. The website has been updated to show the correct spec for the 2018 model 4h.

When I ordered mine, I was given the choice of 2017 or 2018 models. I went for the 2018 model as prefer to have a heated windscreen and the colour I wanted (granit brown) wasn't available anymore on the 2017 model.

so is this, in effect, saying that there is no satnav? You have to use your phone or tablet?

maby said:
so is this, in effect, saying that there is no satnav? You have to use your phone or tablet?

Yes, but it integrates with the touch screen in the car similar to a standalone satnav. It's not just like having your phone in landscape, it is a proper solution.

Hmm. Although the MMCS system is a bit sucky, I'm not sure that being dependent on mobile data is the greatest idea. There are still plenty of places where it is lacking, so presumably route planning is impossible until you have a data signal. Also don't you have to plug the phone in? Not really handy. And possibly roaming costs abroad, etc.

Steve

Probably a good job I can't afford a new PHEV then. My Motorola 'clam' phone - which is so old I can't remember how old - doesn't integrate with anything really. I'ts quite similar to the 'communicators' used in the original 1970s Star Trek TV series. Not much good for navigation though. My 2014 GX4h MMCS navigation system (along with initial reference to a 'map book' - a retro type of navigation device with 'pages' made of paper, that very old forum members may remember) just got me out of Surrey today quite effectively, without having to re-negotiate the M25, which was stationary clockwise all the way from the A3 to the M40. Even the road signs are quite clean in Surrey which is still handy for old school navigation.

Daff said:
Hmm. Although the MMCS system is a bit sucky, I'm not sure that being dependent on mobile data is the greatest idea. There are still plenty of places where it is lacking, so presumably route planning is impossible until you have a data signal. Also don't you have to plug the phone in? Not really handy. And possibly roaming costs abroad, etc.

Steve

It certainly would not suit me! Hopefully, our current PHEV will last till I give up driving - if it doesn't, I certainly would not be buying another.

I have to admit having a Golf with CarPlay and it’s good. It’s no 1/2 arsed solution.
You get live traffic updates, full Siri control. If I could swap out our existing MMCS then I’d do it in a flash !

I can't imagine the point of a heated windscreen with pre-heating available that clears the screen and warms the car too, extremely well on both counts. Who wants to get in a freezing car with just a defrosted screen?

Ianr said:
I have to admit having a Golf with CarPlay and it’s good. It’s no 1/2 arsed solution.
You get live traffic updates, full Siri control. If I could swap out our existing MMCS then I’d do it in a flash !

I would very happily have an Android based navigation and information system in the car, but I would want it to be part of the car, not some bodged up solution that requires my phone.

BobEngineer said:
I can't imagine the point of a heated windscreen with pre-heating available that clears the screen and warms the car too, extremely well on both counts. Who wants to get in a freezing car with just a defrosted screen?
My thoughts exactly. I've changed my mind about wanting a heated windscreen now I've experienced the pre-heat defrost.

You don't need data to use satnav via a phone, maps can be downloaded beforehand.

Wish I had this instead of MMCS!

Not sure I like the idea of a heated screen, on the last car I had I could see the wires and although it wasn't an issue during the day at night it was distinctly annoying.

BobEngineer said:

So this assumes many things! That there is sufficient charge to pre-heat, the schedule is known, the pre-heat had been set and not forgotten, the journey is sufficiently long enough to warrant pre-heating etc. Additionally, the heated screen running from the 12v source also means that you don't need to switch on the climate control just to clear the screen if required whilst driving along and risk having the engine start because of it.

I've had heated screens in previous cars and they were great. I never had any issues with visibility day or night.

BobEngineer said:

I only have a Gx3h, so no heating from battery, but does "pre-heating" work when the battery is depleted? If not, then being able to defrost the screen without waiting for the ICE to warm up would be helpful.

greendwarf said:
BobEngineer said:

I only have a Gx3h, so no heating from battery, but does "pre-heating" work when the battery is depleted? If not, then being able to defrost the screen without waiting for the ICE to warm up would be helpful.

This is one of the things I love most about electric vehicles. Even without a heated screen, they defrost so much quicker than an ICE as you don't have to wait for the ICE to heat up. Not sure it's fully worth the £100 p/m differential for this though :shock:

Back