Servicing and Parts

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am786

Hi - has anyone carried out their own service?

I'm thinking of doing this myself and saving the £400 on labour -

Just some advice/tips/parts?

I'm currently thinking:

Mahle Air Filter: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mahle-air-filter-50269023j £25.49

Mann Cabin Filter: https://www.halfords.com/car-parts?cgid=165759&pid=507690069 £24.46

Mann Oil Filter: https://www.halfords.com/car-parts?cgid=165700&pid=501680049 £4.84

Petronas 5w-30 Engine Oil: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/engine-oil/petronas-syntium-3000-fr-5w-30-oil-5l-256500.html £34.49

Total Parts: £89.28
Labour: Free

Dealer Service: £535

Saving: £445.72

What am I missing?

Good Shout!

I'm thinking main update is on the MMC and that is mostly MAPS - to be honest, I usually use Google.

There could be some bug fixes but I haven't come across any major ones.

Other updates I can think of are to do with pre-heat/remote heat settings and I stopped using that a while back.

fyi: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/update_navi/eu.html

I'd be happy to run that through an OBD port if I had the update file but for now, I'll skip until I find out what's in the udpate.

Be aware that there's an electric drive system capable of delivering 200A at 300V. Coming into contact with that could ruin your entire day.

Do not worry 300V cables are far from oil, air and cabin filters.
Change them like in a conventional ICE car.

I used exactly the same brand and oil type.

:D
ChrisMiller said:
Be aware that there's an electric drive system capable of delivering 200A at 300V. Coming into contact with that could ruin your entire day.

That was my concern on all the volts running through the car :eek:

SolarPHEVcat said:
Do not worry 300V cables are far from oil, air and cabin filters.
Change them like in a conventional ICE car.

I used exactly the same brand and oil type.

Thank you, really appreciate the confirmation!

Am786 said:
:D
ChrisMiller said:

That was my concern on all the volts running through the car :eek:
If all those amps and voltage were running through the car and on cables only one would have been toasted way before changing oil, filters, brakes suspension and so on.

The manufacturer specifies you disconnect the traction battery before servicing. This is in case you accidentally leave the vehicle in "ready" mode, and the car decides to run the ICE whilst you have no oil in it, and also to further reduce the risk of a shock due to accidentally touching something "live"

But you can disconnect the 12v battery and this will stop it starting. I have been servicing these for the last 8 years, and use this method for the "smaller" services. On the "major" ones you have to retorque all the EV cables, so you have to disconnect the traction battery and use all the appropriate PPE

DibbyDibbyDJ said:
The manufacturer specifies you disconnect the traction battery before servicing. This is in case you accidentally leave the vehicle in "ready" mode, and the car decides to run the ICE whilst you have no oil in it, and also to further reduce the risk of a shock due to accidentally touching something "live"

But you can disconnect the 12v battery and this will stop it starting. I have been servicing these for the last 8 years, and use this method for the "smaller" services. On the "major" ones you have to retorque all the EV cables, so you have to disconnect the traction battery and use all the appropriate PPE

Thank you. Appreciate the advice.

1. Are there any issues with the MMC retaining information if all batteries are disconnected?
2. Does anything need to be reprogrammed?
3. As long as the car is off then there should be no chance of the ICE turning on? Would there be any reason to turn the car on during an oil change?
4. Ev torque for the cables, is this in the maintenance manual?

To be honest I cannot blame you, since Mitsubishi has left the UK and MG taken over as caretakers for warranty and maintenance it has all gone downhill, 2022 service they did not even change the oil and filter, last service in 2023 they recorded the wrong mileage and service date in the service book, to date the vehicles wheels have never been removed.

Am786 said:
Thank you. Appreciate the advice.

1. Are there any issues with the MMC retaining information if all batteries are disconnected?
2. Does anything need to be reprogrammed?
3. As long as the car is off then there should be no chance of the ICE turning on? Would there be any reason to turn the car on during an oil change?
4. Ev torque for the cables, is this in the maintenance manual?

No issues with MMCS

You might need to cycle all the auto windows up and down to rest anti pinch

Even so, MMC give the advice to disconnect the 12v to stop any possible problems. If that PHEV ECU decides to start the engine it will not care if you have no oil in it or filter on it, it will run it. Better be safe than sorry.

The procedure is in the workshop manual, but i would not be happy giving any advice with this due to the possible fatal implications of doing something wrong or not using the correct PPE or using non insulated tools. Best leave that to qualified people

well, running the engine while pouring in the fresh oil helps it go round the system, doesn't it? ;-)

<I'll get me coat and go now,,, lol>

Back