Steering/Castor?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

Another newbie question if I may -

Has anyone experimented or had experience with increasing the castor on the front wheels to get a little bit more feedback of the road?
I find the steering excellent in most ways other than its overly assisted and there is practically no road feel or feedback at all - I feel almost completely divorced from the road.

Is there by any chance a way to adjust the assistance perhaps and dial it back a bit?
Is it perhaps a dealer option to remap the electrical steering map that I could arrange on the next service?

But to me, its just not weighted enough and this could most likely be affected by an increased castor setting.
I also find there's a little too much pitch in the vehicle as well which increased castor would also slightly assist.

I took mine to a performance automotive shop that does alignment for track vehicles and talked to the person who did the alignment to tell them what I'm looking for handling wise. Same shop works on my Subaru STI.

Rather than focus on caster, they adjusted the camber slightly so that the car did a better job in corners, but still had good manners dealing with uneven road surfaces.

Tires are also a significant factor in road feel and handling - increasing the tire width and changing the tread pattern and compound type will change/improve feedback from the road - but this can be very subjective. Some people prefer numb / over-corrected steering, but others prefer to really understand the feedback through the steering wheel and know how to manage steering, weight transfer, and throttle to control the car.

Bottom line: Don't go to a regular automotive shop - find a performance shop, adjust camber, upgrade your tires.

One more thing to mention - I found the Mistubishi Lancer EVO forged BBS wheels fit the outlander perfectly. These are forged wheels and weigh much less than the stock cast alloys. Light weigh wheels improve almost all aspects of the vehicle.

Back