Sutton Bank, Yorkshire....

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfinger

Out today for a 'run', and ended up going up Sutton Bank.

We had the car in charge mode at the time, but going up the bank, if you know it, it is a 25% gradient IICRC......

But found the car's engine to be screaming it's arse off going up...

OK, we'd expected the engine to 'work' somewhat, but she found it a bit unnerving....

So I'm asking here, did we do right leaving the car in 'charge' mode, or should we have changed the setting before going up that kind of gradient then maybe changing it back...?

Hi
Don't know the answer to that one but know SB quite well as live near there. It is a horrible hill to go up in any vehicle as not just steep but long with bends. Don't get too near a lorry going up it as they sometimes have to give up. My friend got stuck on it behind a lorry and her handbrake (which apparently needed a little adjustment) wouldn't hold her RAV4. Anyway - I've not been up it in the phev - I much prefer to go down in B5! There are other routes up to the top (for walks/bike rides/cafe/visitor centre) which involve slightly less scary hills (follow caravan route).
Cheers
H

Goldfinger said:

We had the car in charge mode at the time, but going up the bank, if you know it, it is a 25% gradient IICRC......

OK, we'd expected the engine to 'work' somewhat, but she found it a bit unnerving....

So I'm asking here, did we do right leaving the car in 'charge' mode, or should we have changed the setting before going up that kind of gradient then maybe changing it back...?

Did you have any charge left in the battery when you arrived at the hill? The manual does say that if you have steep hills or mountains, you should use the save button to make sure you have enough power to climb them.

I'm curious as I'm planning a trip that way in a couple of weeks time.

hdasmith said:
Goldfinger said:

Did you have any charge left in the battery when you arrived at the hill? The manual does say that if you have steep hills or mountains, you should use the save button to make sure you have enough power to climb them.

I'm curious as I'm planning a trip that way in a couple of weeks time.

Well, plan to go down it, not up! It is a car-killer - definitely one for a vehicle with a very large diesel lump and a genuine automatic gearbox with torque convertor. If I were planning to climb it in a PHEV, I think I would have been on Charge mode for the previous hour to make sure that the battery was full to overflowing, then go up it in Normal and hope that the charge lasted out to the top.

maby said:
Well, plan to go down it, not up! It is a car-killer - definitely one for a vehicle with a very large diesel lump and a genuine automatic gearbox with torque convertor.

It's not THAT bad. I've never had a problem before with a 1.6 petrol Golf, and 2.0 A3 TDI, both manuals. The main problem I've found before was people ahead of me not choosing the right gear to start with.

Your point about the battery charge state is why I ask though. I think this is very important to the car's ability to climb the hill. If the electric engines are powerful enough, these should be ideal for climbing steep hills - perfect torque curves. If the batteries are empty or there isn't enough torque (combined >300Nm should be plenty) then the PHEV will struggle - theory at least.

Goldfinger said:

I don't think you want to be in Charge mode while actually climbing the hill - that mode will be trying to increase the battery state of charge - and on Sutton Bank you want everything available directed to the wheels! If you know that you are going to be climbing something like that, use Charge for the previous half hour or so to get the battery as near full as possible, then let the car use up the charge in combination with the engine to get you to the top.

I drive up and down Hardknott and Wrynose passes every day.
The best way to tackle the really steep climbs is with sufficient charge in the battery and in 'normal' drive mode.

Definitely don't have it in charge mode or the car we scream itself (and it's occupants!!) senseless.
Be aware that these climbs really decimate the battery power - probably at a factor of about 8:1 compared to normal driving.

You will also probably find that you'll get some of the now infamous burning smell too - though in fairness mine finally seems to have disappeared after 20k miles.

One other thing worth noting is that the traction control does not automatically disengage when you select 4WD Lock - I found this out one snowy night.
To disengage you need to keep your finger pressed on the traction control button for about 5 seconds.

The supplied with Toyo tyres are rubbish for winter climbing too - my new set of Continentals seem better.

We had it in charge mode nearly all morning, well before getting to Sutton Bank.

We left it in charge mode thinking it would be the right thing to keep on top of the battery usage when climbing...

Guess we were wrong. :oops:

As for the burning smell....

We went to Royal Quays Outlet on yesterday... All flat roads and in normal mode, yet we did get a whiff of burning....??

But why now...???

Back