Tailgate opening speed

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazMan

Described in one review as "opening as slow as your father-in-law's wallet" I was wondering if it was possible to speed up the tailgate a little bit. Is is raised by a linear motor or gas struts?

RazMan said:
Described in one review as "opening as slow as your father-in-law's wallet" I was wondering if it was possible to speed up the tailgate a little bit. Is is raised by a linear motor or gas struts?

It must be a motor - gas struts would not be able to close it. I doubt it is linear - more likely a rotary motor on a rack and pinion.

Yep it is too slow,and annoying,you can just do it manually. Perhaps it is my biggest dislike,I came from an RR sport and the split tailgate was excellent.
But I still love my PHEV over 3000 miles and in excess of 70MPG equiv (Allowing for elec costs),and I still find excuses to go out to the supermarket etc.
Had my first charge at an ecotricity point on the M6,one cubicle was not working,but no-one else about,second cubicle OK,huge attention from passers by. I spoke to a few people and this was the first they had seen.

Btw, just a warning like 'dont try this at home':
... after activating the open/close tailgate button, DONT disable that function on the dash button (near the key suport) or you'll see something weird hapenning back there :D

I guess it's an indication that most of us are very happy with the PHEV and the things that really matter; that some feel the need to complain about the few seconds it takes to open the tailgate! :roll:

I had this feature on my Merc E250 estate and it was a about twice as fast. When closing it could catch you out if you did not stand back fast enough. Having had one previously I am used to it and like the Merc will open it while walking up to the car and press the close and just walk away. The one big difference between the two systems is how the close button operated, on the Merc if you pressed the close button in mid operation it would stop the door dead in its tracks and pressing it again would then close it. Very handy in low height multi story car parks or you are parked under low branches etc... additionally you could also set the max opening height by simply stopping the boot door at the height you wanted then press and hold the button until it bleeps and it was then set only to open that high. The Merc mechanism was also well hidden in the roof and was a ram arm type, don't know whether it was rack and pinion or hydraulic. The PHEV system seems crude in comparison with it stuck on the side of the boot opening, but it works and stops you getting your hand covered in road grime :)

My auto tailgate just bleeps at me now and doesn`t open when I press the remote or the button to the right of the steering wheel.
Have I inadvertently done something or is this likely to be a fault?

MarkShelley said:
My auto tailgate just bleeps at me now and doesn`t open when I press the remote or the button to the right of the steering wheel.

I assume you haven't turned it off, have you?

maby said:
MarkShelley said:

I assume you haven't turned it off, have you?

Looks like I did via the switch on the center comsole. I wondered what that was for :D

Back