The "guessometer" shows "---" when -10 C outside

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steepndeep

Recently we have had between -10 to -15 C in Stockholm. I have been trying to avoid ICE start for shorter journeys (<20 km) by running preheat for 20-30 minutes before starting the trip. This has been fairly successful but I noticed a weird thing on the guessometer while doing this. At start of the journey it shows "---" as the remaining distance on EV, although the battery is at >95 % SOC. It continous to show this for 4-5 km into the trip and then it suddenly shows 28 km (or something similar). Anyone seen this before??

Can the explanation be that the brain in the guessometer looks at recent driving statistics and judges the preheat procedure to be part of the driving cycle. I.e. 4kW burnt at 30 minutes while driving 0 km gives infinite kW/km, hence "---" in the calculation. Only after driving 4-5 km do I come down to powerconsumption/km which is useful for the brain.

It must be the preheat doing this as I have never seen it when using the car in such temperatures, but I did not preheat then.

Oh great! I was looking for someone from cold country.

Here is a problem (?) and question:

I'm from Belarus, and last week we have below -15. Battery is empty, because this week I'm far from home charging point, and I've noticed that ICE only charge car battery and don't help electric motors at all. You know that usually when battery empty and you go over 67 kmh ICE kick in.

So here is a question - do you or anyone noticed such a behavior in cold weather?

I did notice this morning (something like 0 degrees) that there was a unsually large difference on the guessometer when switching from auto to defrost (from 43 to 26 Km)

Hi

Yes i have seen this last winter. When really cold and no preheating the guessometer showes -- and there is no parallell mode. The reason is that the battery are to cold and before it is heated up this strange behaivor occurs.

This is no fault but just a safety issue not to damage the battrey.

If the car stands for more than 36 hour below -15 centrgrades the wifi is disconnected so you can´t use the preheating.

This is all covered in the manual

BR//Per-Anders

You guys sure about that? Even at +7 degrees, when you crank up the heater, the ICE will be started to produce heat. In these cases, there is no parallel drive either (or recharging of the battery) until you hit Charge. Some as with a near empty fuel tank.

Yes, but you don´t se (--) on the guessometer even with a full battery and heated cabin, that´s the odd thing in really cold conditions.

BR//Per-Anders

Back