The real EV range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristian

There are many posts about predicted EV range at the start of journey in this forum. Has anybody:

1) Compared the prediction to when on the trip counter the ICE starts?
2) What is the typical or realistic EV range you measure with the trip counter?
3) How good is the prediction?

Sometimes the predicted EV falls short of the actual driven distance and other time it is longer. Very subjective, even for the same driver. Depends so much on driving variables, and possibly how much you had for breakfast. :lol:

And what EV range would you get lets say for city driving? What do people get? I think this is more interesting than MPG. Well I think the interesting numbers are MPG after EV range, and the EV range. Then the resulting MPG is easy to calculate for a trip.

It would make much more sense if the MMCS would be able to calculate a realistic long-term and short-term EV Average. I have never understood what is displayed under the title 'EV average. Sometimes Long-Term and Short-Term values are the same, sometimes not, but never apparently realistic.

When we bought the car, it was usually very optimistic - quoting EV ranges well over 30 miles. Eight months and 8,000 miles later, it is a lot more realistic - generally quoting estimated ranges around 24 miles. I have occasionally tested it against the odometer - the 32 miles headline figure is very optimistic. When the car was around a month old, I tested it running with a fully charged battery at speeds between 30 and 40mph on relatively flat, urban roads with the aircon and heating off. I managed 29.5 miles before the engine started.

These days, it seems to have learned my driving style and usually estimates 24 miles - I actually achieve about 22. That is what I would regard as driving "normally" - aircon set to a comfortable 20 degrees and accelerating off the lights and junctions like a car, not a milk float. I'm not particularly worried about driving "pure EV" - I just want to get decent fuel economy - so I'm measuring till the battery actually goes flat and the engine is running as the primary source of power. It will have run multiple times over that 22 miles to provide the extra power for acceleration. I generally expect that when the battery finally goes flat, the instruments will show that I've run about 90% EV.

Back