Using Reg Braking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davon

To get the best mpg should I always drive in the charge mode with regenative braking on ( B2 /B3 etc ). Or does it use fuel to charge the system . I don't have a clue the best system to drive with , or how they get 100 + mpg figures.

Thanks

That is a way to get a bad mpg. Charge all the time will drink petrol like an Arsenal fan does beer. You'll do best to let the car do its own thing in general, just use save on the motorway to have some electricity to spare for the slow traffic when you turn off, use charge when you know you will need a full battery ahead, e.g for a long climb, and that is about it.

People into hyperling will tell you to get the best mpg you need to use b0 and not use the brakes unless absolutely necessary - all based on the principle that it takes more energy to get the car up to speed then it can recover from the regen braking.

Personally I tend to use b5 as that is most compatible with my opinion of normal driving and keeping with the flow of traffic. It doesn't mean, though, that I'm either throttle on or throttle off - I use the pedal to vary the amount of regen as appropriate.

The way to get 100+ mpg is to make lots of trips that are within the pure electric range of the car (nominally 50 km/30 miles) and charge from the mains after each trip.

You can get perfectly respectable efficiency by leaving the car in D (not forgetting P and R when needed) and letting it sort itself out. By overriding the system using Save and the various Bx settings you should be able to improve on this by a few percent (maybe more if where you live is relatively hilly), and whether this is worthwhile probably depends on how much you enjoy tinkering with dials and buttons. Charge is only necessary if you're towing a significant load over a significant hill.

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien. - François-Marie Arouet, 'Voltaire' (1694-1778)

ChrisMiller said:
The way to get 100+ mpg is to make lots of trips that are within the pure electric range of the car (nominally 50 km/30 miles) and charge from the mains after each trip.

You can get perfectly respectable efficiency by leaving the car in D (not forgetting P and R when needed) and letting it sort itself out. By overriding the system using Save and the various Bx settings you should be able to improve on this by a few percent (maybe more if where you live is relatively hilly), and whether this is worthwhile probably depends on how much you enjoy tinkering with dials and buttons. Charge is only necessary if you're towing a significant load over a significant hill.

Thanks all for reply's

I do tow a caravan ( 1450 kg) and was not too impressed with the cars performance , with low power and high revving. Would I be best to leave it on charge enabled if driving where continuous ascents and descents ?

Thanks

Davon said:
ChrisMiller said:

Thanks all for reply's

I do tow a caravan ( 1450 kg) and was not too impressed with the cars performance , with low power and high revving. Would I be best to leave it on charge enabled if driving where continuous ascents and descents ?

Thanks

Towing does change the rules - you do need to keep the battery level up to provide the additional boost for acceleration and that does imply driving in "Charge" a lot of the time. As Chris says, the very low fuel consumption figures come from EV running - as soon as your battery is flat, you are driving a petrol car with an electric transmission and you will get the corresponding fuel consumption. The best you will get over a moderate distance is about 45mpg and if you have a heavy right foot, that can drop to closer to 30mpg - those figures are for just the car, no trailer.

The overall figure that you will achieve depends entirely on the ratio of short journeys to long journeys that you do. If you never drive more than 20 miles between charges, you can realistically achieve close to infinite mpg. If you drive a lot of long distances, then the figure tends towards 40mpg.

As fairly new PHEV'rs this is what we've found.

My wife's normal drive is 12 miles a day, so with air-con and heating we can do 2 days worth per charge.

So day-to-day is only Ev, if we go further then we will see if a free charge is available so a 60 mile trip at worst uses approx 30 miles of fuel giving very respectful £ per mile for such a car.

Go further still and know your trip then you can use the save button. I always try and keep the battery for the un-economic town driving, best result is to arrive at the next charge with 0 battery.

Our previous car a 1.6 diesel Qashqai averaged 40mpg over this kind of profile, but 6 miles is not a great idea with a diesel :(. Before anyone say why drive, my wife is a teacher and she sure does shift a lot of books/work every day, before a change of job she did 60 miles per day

We have a caravan, which we've not towed with the PHEV yet, but again the Qashqai would only return 25MPG, we accept it is what it is when towing.

My car is a Nissan Juke with a total range of 390 miles as it's got a small tank, so I'm used to frequent garage trips.

Ianr,

Off topic - sorry. I have a free set of lockable roof bars going for a Juke if you would like them. Used twice. Cambridge area or you pay to have them posted / DPD etc?

PM me if interested

Jeff

jthspace said:
Ianr,

Off topic - sorry. I have a free set of lockable roof bars going for a Juke if you would like them. Used twice. Cambridge area or you pay to have them posted / DPD etc?

PM me if interested

Jeff

Thanks but already have some :(

Just had to fill up after 936 miles :(
It took 7.08gallons = 132mpg : :D
Mixed distances using save on hills, coast down or on the flat and regen 1-5 when breaking.
Great car.
Look forward to an all electric one!
Big John

GX3+
MY16
Orient Red
Called "Sparky"

Back