Vtec PHEV Box does anyone have it?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amr79

Hi,

I am considering fitting one of these units to a 2016 Outlander 4HS.

I understand the module is a plug and play unit and acts like the EV button (but through the Eco button) found in the latest 2017 models.

If anyone is running this can I please hear your comments?

..... and I quote from the Marathon Man 'is it safe?'

Amr79 said:
but not any comments from day to day running.

Comment from user "Anko" (someone I know for sure has one) here - http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2191&hilit=phevbox&start=200

Little update on my experience with the PHEVbox:

I have had to tweak the settings of te box a bit, as the car started firing up the ICE even when I did not used the kick down. I change the setting down one notch (43% throttle to 42% throttle at the kick-down point) and this took care of the issue

zzcoopej said:
Amr79 said:

Comment from user "Anko" (someone I know for sure has one) here - http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2191&hilit=phevbox&start=200

I have had to tweak the settings of te box a bit, as the car started firing up the ICE even when I did not used the kick down. I change the setting down one notch (43% throttle to 42% throttle at the kick-down point) and this took care of the issue
Could this have been a faulty box that was not set up correctly by Vtech? They say it should be plug and play.

Anyone else?

I do not have the box, thinking of getting one.

For the posibility that the need for tweek is due to a faulty box, I do not belive so. It is a plug and play solution, and in the same time an instruction on how to tweek it to a optimal point.
There is tolerances in electronics as in mechanics, hence no car is like. And I suspect no Vtec box is like also.
There have to be a tweek in order to find the optimum match between the two systems, the Vtec box and the PHEV.

Reports I've read in norwegian forums is that they like the box.
For the ICEHEATSTOP function, I haven-t found much comments on that function. Those reported anything have had to little testing/experience to notice the differnce. As I understand the function, it do not prevent all starts due to need for heat, but manupulates the need so it perevent up to 70% of the starts for heating.

Amr79 said:
zzcoopej said:
Amr79 said:

Could this have been a faulty box that was not set up correctly by Vtech? They say it should be plug and play.

Anyone else?
It is plug and play, but it is adjustable to individual cars, both by a setting switch inside the box and by software.

Amr79 said:
Anyone else?

I'm sure Anko or another vtech user will chime in shortly, however AFAIK from speaking to Anko he had a very early version where vtech were still ironing out the bugs and last time I spoke to Anko he was very happy with the PHEVbox.

In terms of warranty, the unit modifies the drive profile of the vehicle instead of modifying the physical vehicle itself (such as a bullbar or new exhaust) and in reality it diminishes the performance rather than increasing it (less likely to damage vehicle). So while it may be possible for Mitsu to detect and object to this change, it is extremely unlikely that it could be blamed for any vehicle issue.
On the other hand, this device sits in the accelerator connection, and as such there is a tiny possibility that it could cause an accident (I can't even think why, maybe sudden acceleration or no acceleration?). So I believe you are more likely to have issues with your insurance policy than with Mitsu. However Vtech is a reputable performance vehicle company with many years experience with modifying vehicles ECU's etc, so I would deem the PHEV box to be extremely safe. You are more likely to have an acceleration issue with your car floor mat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_unintended_acceleration

drdel said:
Does fitting such a module break the maker's warranty terms?
Rely from Vtec today;
Hi,
If you remove box before you go to the service Mitsubishi won't know that it was fitted.

Best regards

Back