What did you do with your Outlander today?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I didnt see a general check in thread so I figured I'd start one.

What did you do to/on your Outlander today? Take a trip? Just drive around town?

Let us all know what you did.

Just bought a used 2019 GT in the US, took it for its first winter road trip under our ownership, where it returned absolutely abysmal MPG figures. Due to I suspect the cool temperatures, It stayed in series hybrid mode the entire trip except for a few very brief hill climbs on the interstate, probably less than 60 seconds in parallel mode out of 17+ hours of driving. Worst was 23.2 MPGus, 10.14 l/100km and the best was 27.4 MPGus, 8.58 l/100km. Temps ranged from -7 to -12 C. I was almost worried about running out of fuel on the last tank due to the mileage estimate dropping so quickly far below what had happened during the rest of the trip, more hills and a faster interstate speed really destroyed the economy.

PHEV_MPG.png

Let my wife drive it to the barn while I'm at the oil change and car wash place getting her XT4 serviced and washed. She loves Landy. That's what we named him.

Drove to the False Cape Cellar with friends last Saturday for a pleasant pizza and a couple of bottles of their finest. 60 kms on the unsealed roads here is a real pain as the GRS's 'upgraded' suspension is too stiff to be comfortable. Drove the Disco to town and it's a real pleasure.

Just bought a used 2019 GT in the US, took it for its first winter road trip under our ownership, where it returned absolutely abysmal MPG figures. Due to I suspect the cool temperatures, It stayed in series hybrid mode the entire trip except for a few very brief hill climbs on the interstate, probably less than 60 seconds in parallel mode out of 17+ hours of driving. Worst was 23.2 MPGus, 10.14 l/100km and the best was 27.4 MPGus, 8.58 l/100km. Temps ranged from -7 to -12 C. I was almost worried about running out of fuel on the last tank due to the mileage estimate dropping so quickly far below what had happened during the rest of the trip, more hills and a faster interstate speed really destroyed the economy.
I just saw your post...
In what mode you were driving when the vehicle stayed in Series mode?
If you use Charge mode it will stay in Parallel predominately. Just cycle Charge On and Off to keep the battery at level you want.

Started to teach my 16 year old to drive in my PHEV yesterday, picked it up quite easily.
It's such an easy vehicle to learn to drive in. I've been thinking about it recently as my nephew will be soon be 17 (UK) and able to drive, but will learn in his parent's vintage manual Polo - horrible.

With the EV of the PHEV, you don't even have to be at a standstill to swap between forward and reverse - no gearbox to damage. The motor current just reverses and makes it seamless.

Drove 11 miles there, 11 miles back, electric only.
From our village to the nearest town that has banks, supermarkets, DIY superstore etc..
First dry day in ages.

It's such an easy vehicle to learn to drive in. I've been thinking about it recently as my nephew will be soon be 17 (UK) and able to drive, but will learn in his parent's vintage manual Polo - horrible.

With the EV of the PHEV, you don't even have to be at a standstill to swap between forward and reverse - no gearbox to damage. The motor current just reverses and makes it seamless.
It gives him some confidence as well, no messing around with clunky manuals he can concentrate on the road and controlling the car.

A typical trip for us up to our daughter’s house and back. 110 miles. Started with a full charge and did 30 miles on EV prior to switching over to charge mode with 10 miles of EV remaining. Stayed on charge for about 20 miles of highway driving and then switched back to EV for City driving. Same thing on the way home. Charged battery on the highway and then back to EV for stop and go City driving. Burned a little gas but it was time to add some fresh fuel anyway!

IMG_7509.jpeg

I bought mine in the beginning of the year 6th Jan. And I just refueled my 2nd tank in the beginning of Feb and I use it right after the Asia trip to work up until now I still have approx 33% gasoline. Seems to me it will last for 3 weeks. I’m still observing the gas consumption to confirm.

I’m really happy to the performance and I’m glad to make up my mine to go for PHEV option and in time to buy expensive gasoline before gas company collecting Carbon gas tax.

I just saw your post...
In what mode you were driving when the vehicle stayed in Series mode?
If you use Charge mode it will stay in Parallel predominately. Just cycle Charge On and Off to keep the battery at level you want.
I was using Save mode. I just did a new 8 hour trip yesterday for the first time and used Charge on and off (off when it reached 89% SoC and dropped it off parallel) - but that did the trick. I wanted to try running it in Normal on the return leg to full depletion, to see if it would stay mostly in parallel in that state or not... Battery condition on this one is 71.5% at just over 4 calendar years of service and just under 70,000 miles, just got the watchdog app working for this last trip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240324-195830.png
    Screenshot_20240324-195830.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 0
That's why I never use Save, it keeps it often in series and the engine is cycling on - off every few minutes. Why when I have the option to manually control my SoC and keep it in Parallel by using Charge.
People see instant fuel consumption jumping a bit and the word "CHARGE" compared to"SAVE" ;) ending up with wrong conclusions.

BTW better use Charge in low to mid state of battery charge. Don't charge it to 89% SoC unless you have very long city driving ahead of you.
Do same cycles Charge on and off but from 10%-20% to 50% SoC.
The battery is accepting the charge easier when low. Although I saw some measurements posted from watchdog app that there is virtually no difference in accepting the charge even in high SoC state.

Last edited:
That's why I never use Save, it keeps it often in series and the engine is cycling on - off every few minutes. Why when I have the option to manually control my SoC and keep it in Parallel by using Charge.
People see instant fuel consumption jumping a bit and the word "CHARGE" compared to"SAVE" ;) ending up with wrong conclusions.

BTW better use Charge in low to mid state of battery charge. Don't charge it to 89% SoC unless you have very long city driving ahead of you.
Do same cycles Charge on and off but from 10%-20% to 50% SoC.
The battery is accepting the charge easier when low. Although I saw some measurements posted from watchdog app that there is virtually no difference in accepting the charge even in high SoC state.
Normal mode on the 8 hour drive tested today. It depletes charge and cycles right around 30% SoC +/-, slowly charges up about 5% of dashboard capacity and discharges to 1% - stays in parallel mode at all times when the engine is running. Best economy by far at 67mph (108kph) returning 35.32 MPGus (6.66 L/100km)

Firefox_Screenshot_2024-03-25T21-06-29.690Z.png

Changed the oil and filter this morning, very pleased with the ease of service and low cost, only $9 for the OEM MZ690072 filter and $19 for the full synthetic 0w-20 oil, reset the reminder for another 4700 miles, and back on the road in 10 minutes!

Back