What gas guzzlers have you owned?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 90ties:

Dodge Caravan 3.0l V6, (but it was a Mitsubishi engine) :)
Pontiac Firebird 3.2l V6
Ford Mondeo 2.5l V6 Duratec Cosworth

All with classic AT.

Before, and since then just diesels with MT...

Most of my previous cars are no more than 2l diesel injection engines so capable of 30-40pmg, however with my heavy foot I can easily get down to the low / mid 20s...

I do, however, own an old T2 VW Camper, it's also a 2l FI engine but I'm lucky if I get 18mpg out of it, and that's only if the journey is mostly downhill! You can actually see the fuel gauge moving down as you drive, it's like the second hand on a rolex!

I forgot about my old 911 Turbo :roll:
the last of the air cooled Porsches, on a normal to and from work driving it did 15 mpg...

Maserati 3200 GT - probably guzzled gas but wasn't really functional for long enough to notice. Beautiful car to look at and listen to though. Sigh!

Worst offenders after that were probably the Discovery and Range Rover Sport that we 'had to let go' earlier this year. Both TDV6's but both averaging low 20's. Ironic that since we sold them both the cost of diesel has plummeted! When I was a youngster I always hankered after a V8 Rangie but when the time came that I could actually afford one I just couldn't bring myself to do it, so diesel it was.

Childhood dream car was an Interceptor like MHS had. Or a De Tomaso Pantera or Lambo Countach. Only ever owned them on Top Trumps sadly! :lol:

previous car was V8 petrol Landcruiser, not a scientific test but a return trip to the city (500+ Klms) used to cost me around $150 AU$, the same trip in the PHEV just cost me $40

2.8 Sierra XR4x4 (proper shed)
2.8 Audi A4 quattro
4.2 Audi S8 quattro
5.0 TVR Chimaera
4.6 HSE P38 Range Rover
4.4 VOGUE L322 Range Rover - 17.2 mpg average, 12 yrs old and 160k miles - will be going as soon as my 4hs arrives... (along with the 42 mpg Peugeot 107 station/airport car, which will also be redundant!!!).

tjacobsen said:
I forgot about my old 911 Turbo :roll:
the last of the air cooled Porsches, on a normal to and from work driving it did 15 mpg...

You must have a heavy foot I could easily get over 20mpg from mine. :D

Alan

Not gas-guzzlers per se but never seem, in 50 years, to have had a car (ranging from Hillman Husky through Capri to Montegos) that ever did better than about 25mpg. In fact, even the Avensis returned only 28mpg on the last refuel before getting the PHEV :cry:

greendwarf said:
Not gas-guzzlers per se but never seem, in 50 years, to have had a car (ranging from Hillman Husky through Capri to Montegos) that ever did better than about 25mpg. In fact, even the Avensis returned only 28mpg on the last refuel before getting the PHEV :cry:

... Indeed - and, to all those that grumble about the Outlander not achieving claimed fuel economy, it would be instructive to check what the claimed figure for the Avensis was - I bet it was a lot more than 28mpg.

I agree, I don't think we've ever owned a car that did more than about 35mpg, even normal little run abouts like Peugeot 206's, Polo's right the way through to Porsche and Mercedes.

I've got an AMG Merc on order, which is my 'guilty pleasure', but as far as a daily driver I think we will always have a hybrid/fully electric vehicle from now on. Once you get into the technology it's difficult to consider any other type of vehicle.

As for 'guilty pleasure' motoring, I can see I will probably have to change my opinion on that too. Went and looked at a Tesla the other day, it's as fast and luxurious than anything else, even the Merc I've ordered, with zero emissions and it's going to cost a fraction of the price to run.

I'm afraid I can't take the Tesla seriously - it's far too much money for a vehicle with a range of around 200 miles that is going to take half an hour or more to recharge (assuming you can find somewhere to recharge it). Anyone buying a Tesla is also going to need something that burns fossil fuels for the long distance runs - and several tens of thousands of pounds is too much to pay for a runabout - even a very fast one.

Agreed with the Model 'S', but the 'X' is out next year and IMO a serious rival for the Range Rover/Porsche Cayenne crowd who perhaps don't want to 'downgrade' to a Outlander but want the luxury and lower running costs. The Model '3', compact exec based on the 'S' is far more reasonably priced, again due out next year and the charging network that Tesla are planning is huge. As far as has been proposed it's 20 mins to re-charge half the battery (so about 130 miles in real terms) and effectively this time next year you could drive to Moscow for 'free'.

But realistically I would only compare the current Tesla model to expensive, fast saloons that people buy from Audi, BMW and Mercedes, and in that respect the Tesla seems to be very interesting. It's so fast.

Hmmm, there will always be a few with more money than sense to buy things like that, but I don't believe that pure electric is going to take off until you can get 300 miles worth charge into it in less than 5 minutes. That is roughly the refuelling impact of a petrol car.

Have had 2 discos,Range Rover,then XC90 (not a nice car so only kept it a year),then RR Sport for 8 years,and now the PHEV.

For fun I have an MGB roadster that I built from scratch on a heritage shell,it has a 4.6 litre V8 with an American twin choke carb and plenty of other fuel guzzling mods.It is only for fun so driven hard I get 12-15 mpg. The carb is like a funnel that just pours fuel in,and for extra poke,a throttle pump squirts neat fuel into the inlet manifolds.

jayfdee said:
For fun I have an MGB roadster that I built from scratch on a heritage shell,it has a 4.6 litre V8 with an American twin choke carb and plenty of other fuel guzzling mods.It is only for fun so driven hard I get 12-15 mpg. The carb is like a funnel that just pours fuel in,and for extra poke,a throttle pump squirts neat fuel into the inlet manifolds.
Pics please! Would love to see that car. I used to be very into MGB's many years ago and always fancied a V8.

In fact this thread would be even better if everyone posted pics of their guzzlers. Here's a start:

david1972 said:
I'm still driving my thirsty 3.0 auto flat 6 scooby.....even at 27mpg I absolutely love it :lol:

I would love to be able to get 27 out of our Landcruiser! Probably would not have bought the Outlander if we could! :)

Back