Wifi extension

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjs104

Hi all,

So has anyone had success with extending the phev wifi range - and if so what product have you used to achieve this?

Just thinking of getting ahead before mine arrives...

Richard

rjs104 said:
Hi all,

So has anyone had success with extending the phev wifi range - and if so what product have you used to achieve this?

Just thinking of getting ahead before mine arrives...

Richard

i dont think that is possible and I think is is too long range already because the wifi signal that goes to my Iphone is blocking everyting else so when you are in the Phev wifi you have to diasable it otherwise you can not do anything but calling from your phone
Bill

For extending the range in your home network, it should be as simple as using a wireless bridge from the car WiFi to a spare ethernet port on your home router. You could then access the car via your home network (rather than the cars "locked down" network) and have simultaneous access to the internet etc.

Likewise, for cellular access, it should be possible to use a wifi to 3g bridge left plugged into the car.

It feels like a nice Raspberry Pi project :)

I'll give it a go when mine arrives in 12 weeks or so....

Kev.

As previously stated you can easily extend the wifi range with a simple extender placed near your car (garage perhaps), there are many inexpensive products for this.

I use an Android device (Note 3) and have set it up with the following automatic triggers to avoid the problems Billjohan has.

• When connected to the car via Bluetooth, wifi is automatically disabled. This gives you internet connection and a more stable BT connection.
    When disconnected from car BT, enable wifi again.
    If my regular home wifi network is in range, connect to it. That way I'm not connected to the car while in the house.
    When the PHEV remote app is launched, connect to car wifi.
    When the PHEV remote app is closed, disconnect from the car wifi.

Not sure if it is possible to set up an iPhone this way since they are somewhat limited...

Depends on what you call limited - but thats a discussion for another day...

No you can't is the short answer. The IFTTT protocols don't work on profiles. I wonder if you could set up an iPad instead? I see no reason why you can't, it installed on my iPad quite happily.

Fragge said:
As previously stated you can easily extend the wifi range with a simple extender placed near your car (garage perhaps), there are many inexpensive products for this.

I use an Android device (Note 3) and have set it up with the following automatic triggers to avoid the problems Billjohan has.

• When connected to the car via Bluetooth, wifi is automatically disabled. This gives you internet connection and a more stable BT connection.
    When disconnected from car BT, enable wifi again.
    If my regular home wifi network is in range, connect to it. That way I'm not connected to the car while in the house.
    When the PHEV remote app is launched, connect to car wifi.
    When the PHEV remote app is closed, disconnect from the car wifi.

Not sure if it is possible to set up an iPhone this way since they are somewhat limited...

hi
this may be a stupid question but I use both Samsung galaxy S5 and TAB Note 2 and and would be more than interested in knowing how you set up the triggers.
hope you can take the time to explain

Thomas

There are several applications that can do this but the one that i use is "Tasker". With Tasker you can set up triggers and events for almost anything. Very handy tool.

Fragge said:
There are several applications that can do this but the one that i use is "Tasker". With Tasker you can set up triggers and events for almost anything. Very handy tool.

Thanks! will have look in playstore when I get home :)

BeerHunter said:
For extending the range in your home network, it should be as simple as using a wireless bridge from the car WiFi to a spare ethernet port on your home router. You could then access the car via your home network (rather than the cars "locked down" network) and have simultaneous access to the internet etc.

Likewise, for cellular access, it should be possible to use a wifi to 3g bridge left plugged into the car.

It feels like a nice Raspberry Pi project :)

I'll give it a go when mine arrives in 12 weeks or so....

Kev.

Kev,

How'd this work out for you?

Cheers

Matt

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone succesfully bridged the vehicle’s WiFi to their home WiFi network so that you can access the remote app without having to switch networks?

Back