Your next car???

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maby

Just heard on the TV that Rolls Royce are developing an SUV - can't wait!!! :)

not sure if this wins the award for 'slowest reply to a post' but only just spotted it. I wonder if Rolls have finally found a use for the left over Olympus Gas Turbine jet engines they built for Concorde? Now THAT would be an SUV with good performance though somewhat louder than the mitsu :)
HJB

aitchjaybee said:
I wonder if Rolls have finally found a use for the left over Olympus Gas Turbine jet engines they built for Concorde?

You must be French, 'cos you put an 'e' on Concord :lol:

Anyway, they stuck the left-overs in XH558 - the only Vulcan bomber left flying. There was an incident in 2012 that saw human error blow up both engines in XH558, so yet another two Olympus' got used up.

Now THAT makes an awesome sound, especially when you're behind it as it lights up the afterburners :D

Concorde (the aircraft) has an 'e' at the end...even in English-speaking countries! See wikipedia for details!

jdsx said:
Concorde (the aircraft) has an 'e' at the end...even in English-speaking countries! See wikipedia for details!
Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source in scientific circles, and doesn't tell the full story!

However, as aitchjaybee brought up Concord in a thread about cars, I though he might have been an enthusiast, and if so, would have understood the joke.

Throughout the 1960's when Concord was being developed, in the UK the name was spelled without the 'e', which was only added by the British Government to appease the French. So to many a die hard Concord fan, it doesn't have an 'e'. Of course, commercially, and hence Wikipedia, it has always been known to have been spelled the 'French' way. ;)

There are many references to the spelling change if you dig into Concord's history online, but here's one such example...
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0199.shtml

Even in the outside lane, you will find that the way the car delivers torque will make it rather lively , albeit with sometimes a brief hesitation before taking off (depending on speed and state of power of the ICE) with a CVT-like kick-down sound.
I agree, though that there is a bit of adjustment needed for the archetypal Audi-driver.

jaapv said:
Even in the outside lane, you will find that the way the car delivers torque will make it rather lively , albeit with sometimes a brief hesitation before taking off (depending on speed and state of power of the ICE) with a CVT-like kick-down sound.
I agree, though that there is a bit of adjustment needed for the archetypal Audi-driver.

I don't think it would be as lively as a Rolls with a jet engine! :D

Stvtech said:
jdsx said:
Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source in scientific circles, and doesn't tell the full story!

However, as aitchjaybee brought up Concord in a thread about cars, I though he might have been an enthusiast, and if so, would have understood the joke.

Throughout the 1960's when Concord was being developed, in the UK the name was spelled without the 'e', which was only added by the British Government to appease the French. So to many a die hard Concord fan, it doesn't have an 'e'. Of course, commercially, and hence Wikipedia, it has always been known to have been spelled the 'French' way. ;)

There are many references to the spelling change if you dig into Concord's history online, but here's one such example...
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0199.shtml

Indeed Stvtech, there is a section in wikipedia on 'Naming', which i found quite interesting, especially the bit about the irate Scotsman (I accept that wikipedia is not to be taken as 'gospel' :lol: ).

napton said:
jaapv said:

I don't think it would be as lively as a Rolls with a jet engine! :D
AFAIK the last jet road car developed in the UK was a Rover...:p

Back