2009 Outlander XLS HID bulb replacement questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcotton

Not exactly a PHEV, but there are so limited options for resources for the Outlander I came across this forum and figured I would ask here as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently got an 09 XLS for my wife and the low beam bulb went out the other day. I tried looking up the replacement and it is rather difficult to find. I believe it is a DR2, 6000k bulb. I think. What is the one I want to get? I see a lot of different ones on the web from cheap to expensive and I am not sure what to get. Are those cheaper ones fine? Never had HID lights before on any vehicle so if I went with 4000k or 8000k would that be fine? Just don't know what my options are. The cheaper, the better as we just bought the thing and don't want to spend a lot on light bulbs right before Christmas.

Also does anyone know how to replace them? I happened Sunday and all I was able to do was get the plastic water seal off to look for a model number but it was of only the ballast and didn't want to try to move anything without knowing what I am doing. Tried looking on Youtube for someone who did it before and no luck.

Thank you.

Hi, can't help much, I'm afraid, but the K numbers refer to the colour of the bulb. Lower is "yellowish", higher tends to "blue-whiteish". Should, of course, match the other one. Good luck with your quest.

Wouldn't it be simplest to pop into a Mitsubishi dealer and have it replaced? If other modern cars are anything to go by it may require a four-handed dwarf to replace it. On my previous car replacing the righthand HID required the mudguard to be removed.

Unless the bulb suffered a mechanical impact and was damaged, it is likely that the Ballast and HVpower supply may be the fault. There is no filament to burn out. The light is from a XENON arc, and it is an arc within the inert gas that makes the light.

Will need to confirm that the power supply and ballast were still OK before looking into replacing just the bulb. The cost of a ballast or power supply will be substantial. I have after market HID high beam lights and these have a much longer warm up time to factory HID, so Ebay replacements may not provide the same performance as the factory models.

It did go "pink" at first for a couple days before going out. From what I have read that is more of an indication that the bulb went out more than the ballast. Trying to avoid a dealership at all costs. If I have to go to my mechanic than so be it but I would rather see if I can do it myself. I just don't know what exactly to buy as there is such a big difference in price on various models. If the cheaper ones last a year or two I'll take that over spending an outrageous amount for other ones that will last longer.

Why not go to Halfords? - they claim to change bulbs for just £7 so you get the guarantee of both the work & the right bulb for little more than the cost of the bulb. :)

Back