Any Regrets

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope :D
very happy with it, it's not German and it shows here and there but since I need a 4x4 (or I wan't get home as soon as the snow comes) and we wanted a hybrid the only other option would be a Cayenne hybrid which over here costs around 120.000 ,- GBP compared to the 45.000,- I paid for the Oultlander

There's at least one here who has sent it back because he could not achieve the fuel economy that he was led to expect.

Personally, I love it, but I was not expecting much better than 55mpge - that is approximately what I'm getting. It's a comfortable, easy car to drive. Perhaps I'm just easy to please - I've never had a car that locked the doors automatically or closes the windows from the remote control. I think the Satnav lady sounds sexy and she's never sent me down a silly route yet! It does beep and bing a bit, but it doesn't worry me...

I do wish that the automatic headlight setting was a bit less sensitive - it's really useful but on a car with daylight running lights, I really don't want the headlights on till well into dusk.

tjacobsen said:
very happy with it, it's not German and it shows here and there but since I need a 4x4 (or I wan't get home as soon as the snow comes) and we wanted a hybrid the only other option would be a Cayenne hybrid which over here costs around 120.000 ,- GBP compared to the 45.000,- I paid for the Oultlander

Did you really pay £45000 for an Outlander? The top of the range here is £35000 - admittedly with the government subsidy of £5000, but that would still only come to £40000!

maby said:
tjacobsen said:

Did you really pay £45000 for an Outlander? The top of the range here is £35000 - admittedly with the government subsidy of £5000, but that would still only come to £40000!

yepp, prices for cars in Norway are out of this world, you can usually take the UK price and double it and you get the Norwegian one.
But there is a "loophole" for enviro friendly cars, pure electrics (iMIev, Tesla and so on) have 0 import duties and 0 VAT.
Hybrids are not as favorable but the tax is based on emissions (based on fuel consumption), weight and power output so they usually do pretty good as the EU norm for the PHEV is 1,9L /100km and the electric motor is not calculated in the power output equation (as far as I know)
you can imagine how frustrating it is to watch TopGear or Wheeler Dealers and see the prices mentioned there... ;)

No regrets so far. I needed a big car and my normal driving cycle is perfect for a hybrid so it's saving a lot of money in running compared to my old CRV. Couple of minor things I think could be sorted (ride could maybe be refined a bit on poor road services) but nothing major and I'm more than happy with the general level of interior comfort, styling etc. Went for the GX3 trim which I hadn't seen and pretty pleased with it. Time will tell on reliability.

I'm liking the responses so far. Off down to the local dealership this afternoon and hopefully a test drive. The missus has since phoned me up to say she was looking at one parked up, and its lovely, but rather big. Hoping this doesnt put her off, as she will be using it more than me during the week.

maby said:
There's at least one here who has sent it back because he could not achieve the fuel economy that he was led to expect.

Personally, I love it, but I was not expecting much better than 55mpge - that is approximately what I'm getting. It's a comfortable, easy car to drive. Perhaps I'm just easy to please - I've never had a car that locked the doors automatically or closes the windows from the remote control. I think the Satnav lady sounds sexy and she's never sent me down a silly route yet! It does beep and bing a bit, but it doesn't worry me...

I do wish that the automatic headlight setting was a bit less sensitive - it's really useful but on a car with daylight running lights, I really don't want the headlights on till well into dusk.
The sensitivity level is adjustable in three steps.

jaapv said:
maby said:

I thought that was just the delay on how quickly they reacted to changes, tunnels and so not the sensitivity it self?
as mentioned in another thread here, the manual for the car is not really helpful so I may be completely wrong..

None at all.
A few minor changes to some details would be good but the car is great overall. And re the missus thinking its big - it is, but even coming from a Polo I actually find it easier to park - the camera now means I prefer to back in everywhere. Big wing mirrors help you see the kerb. And the ride height and visibility is great - feels like I'm sat on the floor in a normal car (and they are so noisy by comparison!).
Cheers
H

jaapv said:
maby said:

Even at it's least (should that be most?) sensitive, it turns the lights on far too early for my liking. Perhaps it's a continental thing - many drivers in Europe seem to put headlights on in what I would consider daylight. It's a pain - in a plugin-hybrid you want to keep your power consumption as low as possible and running round with full headlights on while you can still see clearly without them just doesn't make sense to me.

maby said:
jaapv said:
maby said:

Even at it's least (should that be most?) sensitive, it turns the lights on far too early for my liking. Perhaps it's a continental thing - many drivers in Europe seem to put headlights on in what I would consider daylight. It's a pain - in a plugin-hybrid you want to keep your power consumption as low as possible and running round with full headlights on while you can still see clearly without them just doesn't make sense to me.

^^^ 100%

I've only had it 2 days but this has annoyed me too. I drove to work this morning at 9am and while it was a bit gloomy it certainly wasn't dark. The car decided that it was still night time so the lights were on, dash brightness lowered and the map was the night version.

My main annoyances so far revolve around the console programming. The car itself is nice to drive, comfortable, turns heads, EV is great etc but some of the MMCS is truly appalling. For example, if Mitsu wants to encourage companies to use this car in their fleet mobile / hands free is a must - the one on the PHEV is next to useless, unintuitive voice controls, to many button presses to get to the phonebook, hard to scroll, etc etc...

Well just back from a test drive and boy was I impressed with the performance and handling. Lovely to drive with great all round visibility. Missus liked the car but is worried about parking it. Sure she will come round to my way of thinking. Never driven an electric car before and to be honest I didn't notice any real difference from a petrol apart from the quietness. Salesman took me on a dual carriage way and told me to floor it. The Ice didn't kick in until over 70 and left most cars standing. Not bad for a car of this size and considering it was on electric power only until I hit the sweet spot. This car is seriously good and has totally converted me. Now I know what all the fuss is about. :D
The salesman told me that these are flying out the door, and their booked up all day for test drives. They have 3 demos constantly on the go.

I have had my car a month now and really like it, I would definitely buy another, but as a company car driver with fuel paid, the decision would be heavily impacted by the BiK rate.
If the BiK rate was not so advantageous I wouldn't.
This is a list of the things I would be working on if I were Mitsubishi (I realise that most of these are significant improvements rather than niggles):

Interior trim - not in the same league as the Germans
Handling/refinement/road noise - as above
Entertainment system warm up time - eons
Human interface - entertainment system, programming etc - appalling
Battery life (of course)
More capable/efficient non EV engine - ie low capacity diesel
Bigger fuel tank (or above)
User manual - terrible
Longer charge lead - sense says it should be a couple of metres longer than the length of the car
(or charging point at the front of the car in the engine compartment)

The concept is so good that I'm sure other manufacturers will pile in - Mitsubishi will need to keep developing quickly to keep ahead of the game.

Generally pretty happy, but I find the time for the macs to boot up unacceptable. In the morning when I get in ready to drive off I want to know what the time is. Mmcs is still voting up. I'm reversing off the drive, want to check distances using the guides....Myers you guessed it, mmcs is still booting up! Very annoying.

Overall cost per mile is still very good, when you consider the overall size and type of car. I've got to be honest though. It mainly appeals to the inner geek in me!

. For example, if Mitsubishi wants to encourage companies to use this car in their fleet mobile / hands free is a must - the one on the PHEV is next to useless, unintuitive voice controls, to many button presses to get to the phonebook, hard to scroll, etc etc...

using a mobile (even hands-free) while on company business is strictly forbidden by my employer - health and safety thing - they do not want to risk compensation claims after an accident.

Back