Auto door lock feature

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most cars I've had recently lock the doors when you drive off, once you hit 10mph or so

This stops people open the rear doors, boot etc at traffic lights

I can't find anything about this in the manual, I guess the phev doesn't have this function - unless I'm missing something?

Jonathan

No, it doesn't. The only cars I've ever seen this on are London taxis.

i find this awkward too - my VW Golf has autolocking so going from one vehicle to the other is hindering my ability to learn to manual lock doors! It is very common on UK cars now - over the last 3 years I had auto door locking on a BMW 3 series, Peugeot 3008, VW Passat, the Golf, a Kia C'eed, Ford Focus and a Jag (not all owned, most were Hertz hire cars)
It's a missed trick IMO for city driving. Less crucial on rural roads. Also built into the Passat auto door lock software I recall from the manual was after a crash, the doors would auto unlock to help emergency services access.

Yeah I miss this too previous cars - Nissans and Skoda and VW's all had this (as does the other halfs mercs, bmw's and jaguars). It's not just for anti-hijacking purposes, but also to ensure cabin rigidity via the deadlocks during a crash.

I took my car to the dealer for this feature to be enabled, but they said it can not be done.

Can you give me information to pass onto them?

I have used a piece of software called ETACS Decoder (https://etacsdecoder.com/forum/index.php) and a 'Lexia' cable (http://www.diagtools.de//wholesale/lexia-3-for-citroen-peugeot-diagnostic-pp2000-diagbox.html).

It has been a while ago that I've done it and I remember it requires quite a bit of setup. But in the end, it is a setting that is configurable in ETACS without any hardware mods. Dealer should be able to make same adjustment using MUT III.

Perhaps it is (considered) illegal and they don't want to do it .....

I believe it's a recent Euro decision as some autolocking features do not automatically unlock in the event of an accident making access following an accident difficult for emergency services.

Starting to think that perhaps its down to the build quality and that the locks wont cope with it

It is just a design decision - some cars have it, some cars don't. Actually the Jaguar I had before didn't have it. Toyotas had it a decade ago already in some markets.

jaapv said:
It is just a design decision - some cars have it, some cars don't. Actually the Jaguar I had before didn't have it. Toyotas had it a decade ago already in some markets.
Ours has it. It is just not active. Well, it is in some .... ;)

If it had I would disable it. Wholly irrational, I know, but it gives me a sense of claustrophobia, something like having the door of a jail locked behind you (not that that happens to me that often.. :lol: ).

StevePHEV said:
I don't like the idea of people getting into the boot in standing traffic.
Indeed. Or the back doors (backseat usually carries backback with laptop and what not). I found myself manually locking all doors with that button in the arm rest, every time I entered a 'crowded area'. Don't have to do that anymore ...

This is what I do, if i remember - but all my other cars have had this feature so I do forget sometimes.

Back