Charge / Save / default

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO "non deterministic" and "fuzzy" are both different wordings for "not fully understood". Does randomness really exist, or is the order in which events happen so complex that we do not understand it? Or do we simply fail to appreciate one or two parameters? :mrgreen:

anko said:
IMHO "non deterministic" and "fuzzy" are both different wordings for "not fully understood". Does randomness really exist, or is the order in which events happen so complex that we do not understand it? Or do we simply fail to appreciate one or two parameters? :mrgreen:

I think they're firing up the Large Hadron Collider soon. Perhaps that'll help? :p

anko said:

Well, you certainly can argue that anything implemented in a computer is ultimately deterministic, but Fuzzy Logic is a well developed approach to control systems and implements systems in a way that is difficult to analyse deterministically. You can certainly see a PHEV (and a Prius, for that matter) apparently behaving in significantly different ways under apparently identical conditions at different times. I have a moderately steep hill to climb a short distance from my house and usually approach it with a almost fully charged battery. On successive days under what would appear to be identical conditions, I can find the car cruising up it with the engine little more than ticking over one day and screaming its way up with the engine revving hard another day. I'm sure it is down to how hard I'm accelerating as I start the climb and how fast I'm going in the first few yards, but once it decides to push the revs up high, nothing is going to convince it to go back to a gentle ascent.

Equally, I'm pretty sure that the strategy you discovered recently to force it to charge quickly under engine power is exploiting some quirk in the control systems. No Mitsubishi programmer sat there thinking "now, I'll put in the code to catch a momentary cancellation of Cruise Control while the regen braking is set in this way and interpret that as GO INTO FAST CHARGE MODE". This is the sort of behaviour that is often associated with fuzzy control systems - some unexpected factor can make it flip between two significantly different patterns of behaviour.

Back