Charging Problem?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymackem

I wonder if anyone can help me pinpoint this problem - cable or car!

Had car 3 weeks, been charging succesfully until a failed charge last week - I just assumed that I had not held my charge card in place long enough.
Today, car would not accept charge. Tried connecting and disconnecting a few times - still no joy.

I started the car with cable attached - flashing charging symbol on dash. But, does car show this only if succesfully connected (via control circuit), or, does it show anytime flap is open?

Had to go into work so left car connected, checked 3 hours later, car appeared to be connected but had only taken 0.008kW/H, would this would point to it being the car?

I am going to try to borrow a cable to test - another outlander was charging in next parking space.

I will try the supplied charge cable tonight - was connected to this yesterday but only for about an hour, range had increased from 0 to 4 miles - this sounds about right to me.

Car was rapid carged (for first time) on Saturday - this was succesful.

Any thoughts - or other things to try?

Dealer not conviently placed - cable was from NuWorld and would need to be returned for testing.

Have a look at this thread, in case it's a similar problem...
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1369

Stvtech said:
Have a look at this thread, in case it's a similar problem...
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1369

I had not realised there was a microswitch in the release hendle. I will do some basic continuity tests this evening, I have seen a schemtic somewhere online.

I have spoken with the cable supplier, they are happy for a return to test it.

I have had a good inspection of the cable - continuity all seems OK, resistance change is correct when microswitch activated.

The one issue I have noticed is with the Type 2 connector, the PP pin is recessed by approx. 15mm from the "front" of the plug, however, the CP pin is recessed by around 30mm.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? The schematic I have (from EV connectors) does not indicate the correct pin depth.

TIA

hungrymackem said:
I have had a good inspection of the cable - continuity all seems OK, resistance change is correct when microswitch activated.

The one issue I have noticed is with the Type 2 connector, the PP pin is recessed by approx. 15mm from the "front" of the plug, however, the CP pin is recessed by around 30mm.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? The schematic I have (from EV connectors) does not indicate the correct pin depth.

TIA

Something similar was discussed here a few months ago. If I remember correctly, it is a measure designed to stop you daisy-chaining cables together.

My type 2 cable has the same level of recess for each of those pins.

As Maby points out, there is another thread on here where someone had a similar problem to yours, and it did turn out to be a faulty cable. They too, queried the recess of the pins, which were later deemed to be the same as a Mitsubishi branded cable, so perfectly normal.

Stvtech said:
My type 2 cable has the same level of recess for each of those pins.

As Maby points out, there is another thread on here where someone had a similar problem to yours, and it did turn out to be a faulty cable. They too, queried the recess of the pins, which were later deemed to be the same as a Mitsubishi branded cable, so perfectly normal.

I had a quick search but could not find the recent thread - did look at the earlier thread but that seemed to be a different problem.

I will speak to nuworld tomorrow - looks as if the cable will have to be returned.

I have googled and can not find any spec sheet which gives the depth of the pins, if anyone has one, .........

Thanks

hungrymackem said:
I had a quick search but could not find the recent thread
No worries, found it for you...
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1224

Stvtech said:
hungrymackem said:
I had a quick search but could not find the recent thread
No worries, found it for you...
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1224

Cheers - I do remember seeing that when originally posted.

BUT, this leaves me even more confused, one poster above has stated that his two pins are recessed by the same amount - others state (other post) that there is a difference in the depth of the pins.

Scratches head at this point :?: :?: :?: :?:

hungrymackem said:
one poster above has stated that his two pins are recessed by the same amount
Errr, that might have been me - and if so, I meant by the same amount as yours i.e. one at 15mm, the other at 30mm.

Sorry if that confused you :oops:

Stvtech said:
hungrymackem said:
one poster above has stated that his two pins are recessed by the same amount
Errr, that might have been me - and if so, I meant by the same amount as yours i.e. one at 15mm, the other at 30mm.

Sorry if that confused you :oops:

That's OK :) :)

I have successfully fully charged tonight via the Mitsubishi supplied 3 pin domestic charging cable. Would this charge if timers had somehow been set - or would this cable obey any set charge times?

I am now fairly convinced that the car is OK, but it also sounds as if the cable is as expected (pin recesses).

So, even more confused now :? :?

Back