Clanking noise from rear

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentphev

Had this on and off since buying and forgot to mention to dealer when I had service... doh!

Does anyone else notice odd clanking that sometimes comes from the rear of the car. I've not been able to isolate it. Seems to happen most at slow speeds and doesnt get any worse when going over bumps or rough surfaces. Seems completely random and unrelated to anything else the car is doing at the time. Weird!

I take it you are sure it is not something you have in the boot or something come loose in one of the hidden compartments under the boot carpet?

raymie said:
I take it you are sure it is not something you have in the boot or something come loose in one of the hidden compartments under the boot carpet?

Yes indeed, and like I said you can be driving at constant speed on a smooth road.

There's a known issue with Mitsubishi having missed out a couple of screws in the construction of the boot lining. It's been documented in a thread here about a year ago together with instructions for fixing it. Personally, I've never noticed it, but others have reported assorted clanks and bangs till they added the missing fixings.

Try rolling up a towel into a tight ball and jamming it in the left hand well in the boot - if the noise stops then you may want to think of a more permanent fix - I had the same problem originally. I just left the towel there as I have a dog so it's good for rubbing him down before he gets in the car.

Back