"Cold" mornings

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhawke

Hello

Ive had my PHEV 2 months now and now the morning tempratures are starting to drop. Not very cold yet (about +5 Celsius) but even then the car goes on gasoline engine goes for about 5 min before it runs n battery. That sounds wrong. I mean I only have 5-10 min to work and I dont wanna need to run on gas 50% of the time.

Any ideas?

I am not having any problem
through the mobile phone app I turn the heating on for 10 minutes while the car is still connected to the charger
from the convinience of being inside the house, I do select the day, time and duration of heating.

when I start driving, its all nice and warm with no use of petrol at all.

best wishes

The OP didn't specify what model he has - pre-heating is only available on GX4s

levant said:
I am not having any problem
through the mobile phone app I turn the heating on for 10 minutes while the car is still connected to the charger
from the convinience of being inside the house, I do select the day, time and duration of heating.

when I start driving, its all nice and warm with no use of petrol at all.

best wishes
When it gets colder (around freezing) indeed make sure to preheat long enough, but also do not to turn down the temp setting once driving. Because, when you do, the heater will get time to cool off and when you crank it up again, the engine will start to assist the electric heater. But if you keep the temperature setting high, there electric heater will stay warm and the engine will stay off.

when I use the heating to 22C, no problem, the moment it goes to 23-23.5 the petrol starts kicking off. go down to 22C, petrol switch off.

just what I have noticed on my car.
would using the heater drain the battery faster? honestly i have noticed anything like that yet...same milage am getting with or with no heating.

I just want to enjoy driving the car.... make the most of it and I do not want to look at the screens and monitors all the time.
I have done that for 2 weeks and that was more than enough to learn about the car behaviour in different modes

levant said:
when I use the heating to 22C, no problem, the moment it goes to 23-23.5 the petrol starts kicking off. go down to 22C, petrol switch off.

just what I have noticed on my car.
would using the heater drain the battery faster? honestly i have noticed anything like that yet...same milage am getting with or with no heating.

I just want to enjoy driving the car.... make the most of it and I do not want to look at the screens and monitors all the time.
I have done that for 2 weeks and that was more than enough to learn about the car behaviour in different modes

EV range will drop off quite a lot in cold weather - partly because of the battery drain of the heater but also because of other factors like reduced battery efficiency, increased rolling resistance in the tyres, increased viscosity of the air... Whatever EV range you get in warm weather, it seems to reduce by around one third as the temperature gets down to zero. Turning the heating off will certainly improve your EV range, but do you really want to buy a £30,000 car and drive it wearing three pullovers and double gloves?

levant said:
...same milage am getting with or with no heating.
Predicted range or actual range?

Where turning on the A/C (snowflake) has an immediate impact on predicted range and on actual range, turning on the electric heater only has an impact on actual range.

For example, preheating for 30 minutes while not hooked up to an external power source may take about 2 - 2.5 kWh, enough for approx. 10 km of driving. Power consumption by the heater during preheating is more than average power consumption by the heater during normal driving, but still....

Very Helpful info

have not tried the A/C yet
with heating, no change in the actual range as long as the heating will not exceed 22 C
on 23.5 C, the Battery lasted 5 miles less on a 27 miles journey

My son always turn on the seat heating... ! ! ! can not do much about that....

I am sorry, but that does not make a whole lot of sense to me :oops:

Do you have a GX4h or above, so including electric heater? Than the heater will definitely consume power when set to 22 deg. And this will cost you some EV range. I mean, you cannot maintain 22 deg during a 27 miles trip without the heater running at some, if not most of the time. Not even after 30 minutes of preheating.

If you have a model without electric heater, than it will not consume power. But then it will also not consume power when set to 23.5 deg.

What am I missing?

So many different factors impact on EV range that it really is impossible to come to conclusions without some extensive experiments with effort to maintain common test conditions.

Back