Do you know something about regenerative braking?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tun

I've fully charged my car earlier and was trying to "drive/brake by the pedal" and to my surprise if you have a fully charged PHEV, the regenerative braking doesn't slow down the car!

I was like setting it to B5 and the car is like rolling down the hill like B-5 :)

Does this means if you have a full battery and driving downhill, chances are you will die?

Just to share :p

There is always a chance you will die. Even when you don't use your car :mrgreen:

It has been discussed many times and the explanation is rather simple: regenerative breaking means converting kinetic energy into electricity. With a full battery, there is no place where this electricity can go. There can be no current unless it can flow somewhere. You will get used to it soon enough.

Word of advice: do not charge your car on top of a hill. Not because it is dangerous, but because it is .... well, stupid ;)

anko said:
Word of advice: do not charge your car on top of a hill. Not because it is dangerous, but because it is .... well, stupid ;)

Really??? Stupid? Hmmmm.....

In an emergency if you need regenerative braking you need to dump the electricity by using it if the battery is too full to take it, perhaps try turning the heating to full, all the lights on, music up loud, heated seats on, mirror heaters on, wipers full speed and all the windows up and down.

Hopefully the brick wall is far enough away for this to work.

I must admit that I find myself flapping like mad rather than braking with that peddle next to the go peddle!

NAPpy

not 100% related but .....

while driving in B-0 regenerative braking using the brake pedal seams less effective than braking than with it set at b-5. Maybe this is a no brainer?

how am I assuming this - if im in b-0 then I brake from speed I struggle to obtain full regenerative braking effect and "feel" like im using physical braking earlier.

If im in b-5 then its quite easy to obtain full regen braking from speed(assuming you don't have full battery!)

so whats the big deal ? - if im driving motorways, my perception is that generally im best off in b-0 e.g. not changing the state of the energy and maximizing the use of momentum. If the traffic builds up or I want to stop for a coffee and charge then I think that im best switching to b-5 to recover as much as possible?

anko said:

It depends on the of altitude of the hill and of the altitude of the next destination !
Even on top of a hill it is often better to charge partially than no charging at all, which would be .... well .... :D

CharlieH said:

while driving in B-0 regenerative braking using the brake pedal seams less effective than braking than with it set at b-5. Maybe this is a no brainer?

how am I assuming this - if im in b-0 then I brake from speed I struggle to obtain full regenerative braking effect and "feel" like im using physical braking earlier.

If im in b-5 then its quite easy to obtain full regen braking from speed(assuming you don't have full battery!)

so whats the big deal ? - if im driving motorways, my perception is that generally im best off in b-0 e.g. not changing the state of the energy and maximizing the use of momentum. If the traffic builds up or I want to stop for a coffee and charge then I think that im best switching to b-5 to recover as much as possible?

I don't think there is anything that you can do with the paddles that you can't do with the pedals - but the paddles can make it easier. The paddles just set the level of regenerative braking that is applied if you take your feet off the pedals. By default this is B2 - that is what is set when you just select Drive. If you select B0, then no braking is applied until you press the brake pedal at which point regenerative braking up to B5 is applied before the friction brakes are engaged. If you select B5, then full regenerative braking is applied as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. If you bring the accelerator up, watching the "energy meter", then you'll see low levels of regenerative braking applied, increasing to B5 just before you let the accelerator fully up.

Grigou said:
It depends on the of altitude of the hill and ...
You are absolutely right. But my comment was triggered by a message from "tun" who apparently charged to a level where regen breaking was disabled. I guess I meant "fully charge" but didn't bother spelling it out .... :oops:

Back to my original point, having it fully charged and losing the regenerative braking is quite dangerous especially when we are used to "paddle driving" :)

It has not drag at all and suddenly the car in front is so close to you when your brain is expecting the B5 is slowing you down.

maby said:
CharlieH said:

I don't think there is anything that you can do with the paddles that you can't do with the pedals - but the paddles can make it easier. The paddles just set the level of regenerative braking that is applied if you take your feet off the pedals. By default this is B2 - that is what is set when you just select Drive. If you select B0, then no braking is applied until you press the brake pedal at which point regenerative braking up to B5 is applied before the friction brakes are engaged. If you select B5, then full regenerative braking is applied as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. If you bring the accelerator up, watching the "energy meter", then you'll see low levels of regenerative braking applied, increasing to B5 just before you let the accelerator fully up.

I would agree with Charlie H
When you press the brake pedal, the car regens as much as it can before the mechanical brakes work. I have found that the regen braking is not as strong with the car in B0 when i press the brake then it would be with me just simply lifting off the accelerator alone with regen set to B5.
Also, the regrn braking (before the mechanical brakes set it) is not as severe in B0 as it would be in B5.
Can this be explained. I posed same question to my local mitsu dealer but only got a blank look of how the heck do i know.

anko said:
jazzenator said:
Also, the regrn braking (before the mechanical brakes set it) is not as severe in B0 as it would be in B5.
Apart from very low speeds, how do you know when the mech brakes kick in?

When you press the pedal further the decelerative force increases without any corresponding increase in energy recovery on the energy meter.

anko said:
Oh. So, what you mean to say is "Also, the maximum regen braking is not as severe in B0 as it would be in B5."? I believe many will think differently.

Each one of us have our own beliefs based on our experiences and observations.
This is what I have observed over 1600 miles of driving in various conditions. Is this a malfunction or a design feature, I do not know.
I believe there is a difference and this has been noticed by at least one other owner, therefore making this a possibility. Unfortunately, I cannot substantiate my belief with evidence which is why I have posted to welcome others views, including yours Anko on regen braking and unless there has been a poll or a similar post which I have previously missed where the majority of owners have noticed no difference in the foot pedal initiated regen braking in the various braking modes, I don't understand how you believe that 'others think differently'.

I appreciate your findings and the fact that you take the effort of sharing them. I don't claim to have the definitive answer. But there have been many discussions, on this forum, but also on the Dutch PHEV forum with > 3000 members, about the effect of selecting different B levels. Many of the discussions seem to lead to a conclusion that the B-level above all changes how the car responds to pressing / lifting the gas and break pedals (for instance , the gas pedal is remapped when you change the B-level). But not so much how the car itself behaves.

Back