Does anyone have experience of setting up workplace charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeds

Work have apparently said that the cost/benefit for installing charging units does not stack up.

Does anyone here have experience of getting units installed at work in the UK?

Are there grants available?

Can you install payg units?

I think work are worried about giving away free electricity, but for me I think it would be more about convenience and I'd be happy to pay for the electricity used if that is the issue.

Any thoughts?

Surely it depends on what & where?

If it is an u/g car park running an extra 13amp socket from the existing ring should be cheap. But outside away from a building would involve digging up and laying armoured cable to a weather proof socket on a post - not cheap even for just a 13 amp socket.

If you've asking for a 16 or 32 amp EV connector then I'm with your employer in turning you down. Unless you are required to use your car during the day, a standard 13amp will give you a full charge in less than a normal working day.

Can't help on fast charger, but my employer put 5 x standard 3 pin 13A sockets in basic waterproof housing in along five bays in the car park and buried the supply cable in the flower bed. They decided to do simple then not worry about the electricity costs (at worst it's £1 day per bay so £5 total) and creates huge goodwill. Doing it this way I guess cost a couple of hundred pounds all in, and visiting clients / customers think they are Eco friendly and look after their staff. They get loads of good PR for £5/day. Sure it takes 5 hours to charge from empty but it's easy solution for leaf and phevs. And assume ampera, i3 etc. having read green dwarfs post, maybe I'm optimistic on price!

Otherwise Chris at EV charging solutions has been helpful on this forum, worth a search for his threads.

When I inquired with a couple of installers I was told that they would not install a domestic grade charger in the workplace, and a commercial grade charger would cost in the region of £1500. Needless to say my company were not prepared to install anything just for little old me (the only EV car driver) so I compromised and installed a 13A waterproof socket with a meter, agreeing to pay for any electricity consumed. Ah well, its cheaper than petrol I suppose :roll:

Back