EV ONLY MODE

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bilbo59 said:
maby said:
Caveat emptor, as they say! I don't speak Polish, so don't know what you were explicitly offered but, wearing my English salesman hat, I would feel pretty safe arguing in court that there is sufficient conditionality in "can" to cover the way an Outlander behaves. Saying that it "can drive the average commute entirely on EV" doesn't mean that it always will - if, as is the case, it demonstrably does it seven or eight months of the year, I think I could win the case in court.

Would love to back the opposing lawyer on that one Maby - I doubt if you you find it that easy.

Can - to be able to do, make, or accomplish

As a lawyer, I can assure you Maby is probably (never state a surety as an advocate :lol: ) right - as are you, in a layman's terms.

The car CAN be driven 32 miles in EV only mode - this is true. However, it doesn't give any guarantee as to in what circumstances. To be successful in court you would need to point to a specific claim, such as - "all year round" AND that you bought the car on the basis of that promise. Otherwise don't waste your time & money trying to go to court - all that does is make lawyers richer :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, I do agree that if you want something then complaining MAY get it, where as saying nothing won't. However, even if Mitsu do monitor this forum, they are more likely to respond to direct feedback - so I hope all of you have been putting pen to paper, on this.

2 other points:-

https://www.plughybrid.de/shop/4-kwh-phev-kit-170v-250v-20a-max-g3/

There are already range extender kits in the after market for Toyota. As you will see around, £3,000 for an extra 4 Kwh - about 10 miles max? Would you pay this kind of money to get this more EV miles? This was a questions at the Focus Group I attended, which suggests Mitsu may be looking at customer interest in EV only mileage.

Also Boris would like to have the ability, in future, to automatically force the switch off the ICE on hybrids when entering the Congestion Charge Zone. :mrgreen: So manufacturers would have to provide the EV only mode (even if not driver selectable) if he gets his way :eek:

greendwarf said:
2 other points:-

https://www.plughybrid.de/shop/4-kwh-phev-kit-170v-250v-20a-max-g3/

There are already range extender kits in the after market for Toyota. As you will see around, £3,000 for an extra 4 Kwh - about 10 miles max? Would you pay this kind of money to get this more EV miles? This was a questions at the Focus Group I attended, which suggests Mitsu may be looking at customer interest in EV only mileage.
With such a kit I think I could have cut my fossil fuel consumption over the last 14 months from 83 mpg tot 140 mpg. Would I be willing to pay such money for extra EV milage? Dunno. Tough question.

But the kit is for extra EV miles. And we are just looking at getting the basic EV miles. And maybe not even all of them. Just a few. With the current setup, we may not even get a single EV mile in cold wether. Adding a box like that is not going to change that.

maby said:
jaapv said:
Yuk... :shock:

Actually, coming back on topic, I am surprised nobody has suggested the blindingly obvious yet. There is an unused switch position on the dashboard. Just install a switch that cuts the power to the petrol pump..... :ugeek:

I think we were looking for a software-only solution. If it is just a few lines of code to change, then you might hope that they would offer it as a free update at a scheduled service, whereas they are likely to be far less willing to offer a free update if it also requires mechanical changes.
Not that dramatic: One switch and two wires to the fuse-box...

Could someone give it a quick try and pull out the fuse for the fuell pump and tell us, what error message/warning sign apperars on the displays?

jaapv said:
maby said:
jaapv said:
Yuk... :shock:

Actually, coming back on topic, I am surprised nobody has suggested the blindingly obvious yet. There is an unused switch position on the dashboard. Just install a switch that cuts the power to the petrol pump..... :ugeek:

I think we were looking for a software-only solution. If it is just a few lines of code to change, then you might hope that they would offer it as a free update at a scheduled service, whereas they are likely to be far less willing to offer a free update if it also requires mechanical changes.
Not that dramatic: One switch and two wires to the fuse-box...

May well be that simple if you do it yourself, but you know that even the need to add one screw will have a big impact on Mitsubish's willingness to offer it as a free update unless forced to do so.

pkulak said:
Or they could have gone the other way, like the plug-in Prius, which turns the engine on for all but the slowest acceleration and has a miserably small battery. People plug those things in 4 times a day and all it gets them is a dozen MPG more than a standard Prius.
Hi,
As a previous owner of the Plug-In Prius (and a standard prius before that) I feel you do it a great disservice. Although it can only do about 12 miles EV (compared to the PHEV's 25 miles EV) for someone that does mostly short trips it can increase the average MPG hugely. I got 120mpg from mine over the 18 months I owned it. I only get slightly more from my PHEV at 135mpg. The advantage the Plug-In Prius has, is that when the battery is flat, it is still a brilliantly economical car. My previous standard Prius averaged about 55mpg.
Kind regards,
Mark

Hi,

I should also add that the Plug-In Prius has a "City EV" button. This stops the engine firing up when you try and set off too quickly, instead being limited to the EV performance. However, if you floor the throttle, the engine will start. I think it also stops the engine starting to provide heat (it doesn't have an electric heater). It will use any heat already stored in the coolant though.

It would be amazingly simple for Mitsubishi to add this feature to new cars. I believe there is ZERO chance of this being added to existing cars.

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
It would be amazingly simple for Mitsubishi to add this feature to new cars....

The newest BYD Tang , direct competitor to Mitsu has a nice button there:

file.php

I saw the BMW i8 on Top Gear last night and noticed it has an EV only mode.

BTW, for cars running on EV only does the heating come from the batteries at all times?

I do not understand this thread. The PHEV starts up in EV mode. If needed it starts the ICE. If it is cold it needs to warm up the ICE, but it start as soon as possible if it is not needed.
Because the PHEV starts up in EV mode it is not necessary to have any EV button. There are Charge button for charging the battery and Save button for maintaining the battery level.
Please get some experience with the car before you complain. The system in the car is quite good at selecting the needed mode. It is not often we have use any off the buttons here in Norway. When it is cold the latest version of the pre-heating give a very good temperature on the ICE so it do not start at 0 degrees celsius.

pjvik said:
I do not understand this thread. The PHEV starts up in EV mode. If needed it starts the ICE. If it is cold it needs to warm up the ICE, but it start as soon as possible if it is not needed.
Assuming Norwegian models are the same as UK / Dutch models, the ICE is not started to warm up the ICE, but the ICE is started to warm up the cabin.

What do you mean by: "but it start as soon as possible if it is not needed."? Did you perhaps mean: "but it stops as soon as possible if it is not needed."? That's fine. But the real question is: why does it start when it is not needed at all or not efficient at all?

Yesterday, I washed my car on the driveway. When I was done, I had to back it up for half a meter to get it off the sidewalk. As soon as I turned on the car, the engine started running. Why? Because I forget to turn down the Aircon after my last trip and it was only :shock: 7 deg C. A total unnecessary cold start. Bad for the engine, bad for the environment. Not worse than with any other car perse, but easily prevented. If this had happened with my wife's Suzuki Swift, I would be okay with it. But not when it happens with a car that is supposed to / equipped to excel at short trips.

The day before yesterday, we had to make a trip with four short stops. We could have easily made it in comfort on battery power alone. But after every stop, the engine fired up, because the car had decided that the heater had cooled off too much during the stop. Every time the engine stopped before reaching 60 deg C when the heater was again hot enough. Got back home with approx. 10 EV km left in my battery. Total waste of fuel.
pjvik said:
Because the PHEV starts up in EV mode it is not necessary to have any EV button. There are Charge button for charging the battery and Save button for maintaining the battery level.
The PHEV does not start in EV mode, as there is no such thing as an EV mode. There is Save mode and Charge mode, which indeed allows you to maintain or enhance SOC. Then there is the default mode (which is really No Save / No Charge, instead of EV), which allows the car to decide why and when to start the engine or not. This default mode allows the car to start the engine for the sole purpose of warming up the cabine. Mine does that, even though it has an electric heater installed for this purpose. It does that not only at 0 deg C or below, but sometimes even at temperatures of 8 or even 10 deg C above 0. The morning it started the engine with the purpose of warming up the cabine, 2 km before reaching my destination, eventhough the battery was not empty. A total waste of good fuel as there is no way that the engine coolant would reach 60 deg C in 2 km. As the car does not know how far / how long I will be driving it should allow me to decide whether or not I want to involve the ICE in the heating process.

pjvik said:
Please get some experience with the car before you complain.
For me, this is my second full winter season with the PHEV. How about you?

pjvik said:
The system in the car is quite good at selecting the needed mode. It is not often we have use any off the buttons here in Norway. When it is cold the latest version of the pre-heating give a very good temperature on the ICE so it do not start at 0 degrees celsius.
Again, assuming Norwegian models are the same as UK / Dutch models, preheating does NOT warm the engine. It warms the cabin. And indeed, if you have to opportunity to preheat, that is a way of preventing the engine from being used for wearing up. But you do not always have that opportunity. When my wife decides she wants to go shopping, she wants to go now, not in 30 minutes.

pjvik said:
I do not understand this thread.

I wonder if you've read this thread. There are certain circumstances where the ICE starts unnecessarily, documented thoroughly throughout this thread. It would be nice for the driver to have some control to stop this occuring.

Anko is completely correct. I am annoyed with burning petrol completely unecessarily. Even after a 20minute preheat at an outside temp. of 3 degrees, the ICE starts up and runs to a preset temp? During this time, the electric heater has warmed the cabin to a nice 21 degrees and can more than cope without heat from the ICE. On short journeys with plenty of battery capacity this situation is crazy. The work around is clever but quite tedious!

Back