First Charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrieB

My car was collected yesterday and I used my home charger for the first time last night, it took a couple of plugins to get the car to start charging but when it did there was a noticeable clunk (like a big trip switch tripping) but it started charging fine, then about 3 hours later there were a further couple of clunks when it stopped charging. Are these clunks normal ?

On a plus though, it only used 7 Kw to do a charge (car had about 4 miles left of EV beforehand)

I have a tethered Rolec 32amp charging unit.

Thanks

Ours certainly clunks when it starts charging. I've never been watching as it finishes, so cannot comment on clunks then, but as you say, it sounds like heavy power relays switching over, so I would not be too surprised to hear it at both ends of the cycle.

The same sort of sounds occur on my 16 amp podpoint unit when charging either the LEAF or the Outlander...it's normal, the relays tripping in or out I thought.

I can hear my charger connect and disconnect from the other side of the house, it is the main contactor in the charging point closing an opening.

I can a very quite ticking clicking comes from the car when charging starts too.

I have the same Rolec unit and concur. There's a single clunk on starting to charge and then 2 clunks about 5 seconds apart when it's finished.

It's puzzling why there's 2 at the end but my energy monitor always shows charging has stopped at that point.

Correction ... I paid closer attention to the clunks at the end of charging this morning and it's actually 3! First is about 20 seconds before the final two, so mystery about the odd number of clunks solved!

Back