Good Driving Practice?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickygit

Most of my local driving involves frequent stops at traffic lights etc. Consequently, when stopped I engage 'N' (just as I did with a conventional auto-box ICE car) to avoid annoying drivers behind me with footbraking lights and also to avoid wasting battery power. However, it is irritating to constantly reset the regen paddle after re-engaging 'D'.

Am I correct in assuming that power is being dissipated in 'D' when held on the footbrake and would it be better/less safe to use the hand brake in such situations?

The energy flow display on the instrument dash will show how much brake pressure needs to be applied to turn OFF the power to the electric motors. You should not need to worry about the brake lights being ON, as they are all LED types and should last the life of the car. I only ever used the hand brake and neutral in a manual and this was to increase the life of the bulbs. My HONDA had brake light bulb failure indicators as the US market seemed to have rules regarding policing of brake bulb failure.

Pickygit said:
Most of my local driving involves frequent stops at traffic lights etc. Consequently, when stopped I engage 'N' (just as I did with a conventional auto-box ICE car) to avoid annoying drivers behind me with footbraking lights and also to avoid wasting battery power. However, it is irritating to constantly reset the regen paddle after re-engaging 'D'.

Am I correct in assuming that power is being dissipated in 'D' when held on the footbrake and would it be better/less safe to use the hand brake in such situations?
Yes and no. If you hold the car lightly by a footbrake press the motors will remain powered up and consume power. However, a stronger press will shut down power.

jaapv said:
Pickygit said:

Yes and no. If you hold the car lightly by a footbrake press the motors will remain powered up and consume power. However, a stronger press will shut down power.

Thanks for that advice.

Pickygit said:

Well, I can't break the habit of a lifetime, so I use N & handbrake at lights etc - it also conforms to the Highway Code (whatever that is :lol: )

greendwarf said:
Pickygit said:

Well, I can't break the habit of a lifetime, so I use N & handbrake at lights etc - it also conforms to the Highway Code (whatever that is :lol: )

me too!

i also note when going from N to D you don't need to press the footbrake so just silently, and stealthily glide away. could be coincidence, but I'm amazed by how many drivers behind me in commuter traffic, naughtily have their head down texting or reading emails when at red light, and don't notice me pull away when the traffic light goes from red to green.

When switching from Neutral to Drive, after you have engaged drive just pull down on the lever towards B and it will automatically go to B3, and if you pull again it will go to B5. So just with the lever you have the choices of D, B3 or B5 without having to touch the paddles.

I always put it to B3, I like the extra bit of braking regen that it provides.

Ozukus said:
When switching from Neutral to Drive, after you have engaged drive just pull down on the lever towards B and it will automatically go to B3, and if you pull again it will go to B5. So just with the lever you have the choices of D, B3 or B5 without having to touch the paddles.

I always put it to B3, I like the extra bit of braking regen that it provides.

The easiest solutions are the best - thanks. :oops:

Back