great resource

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark42

Hi all,
I'm still in my first week of ownership of a 2019 outlander in the UK.
I'm loving the car and wanted to say what a great resource this forum is. It has already helped me identify the old fuel preventing EV mode, and how to get the mirrors operating when locking the car.
This is the first time I've owned an automatic, although I've hired a few in the past. Does anyone else find it counter intuitive that to go forward you move the selector back, and to go backwards you move it forward?

Hi all,
I'm still in my first week of ownership of a 2019 outlander in the UK.
I'm loving the car and wanted to say what a great resource this forum is. It has already helped me identify the old fuel preventing EV mode, and how to get the mirrors operating when locking the car.
This is the first time I've owned an automatic, although I've hired a few in the past. Does anyone else find it counter intuitive that to go forward you move the selector back, and to go backwards you move it forward?
It is easier - natural to move your hand back by mistake. Forward is much more intentional movement.
So it is done not to turn on reverse while moving forward... my thoughts.

It may be a convention that was established with earlier, manual transmission vehicles.

To me, it has seemed natural, since I first started driving vehicles with floor shifts.

Pressing a button to put the vehicle in 'Park' surprised me, but now it happens automatically.

(Park button, hand-brake, turn vehicle off.)

Yes, took me a while to get the "muscle memory" of "back for forwards".

Despite having had automatic cars for years, where D is back from P.

My selector occasionally stays in the D position instead of springing back.

Causes a continuous double beep.

It may be a convention that was established with earlier, manual transmission vehicles.

To me, it has seemed natural, since I first started driving vehicles with floor shifts.

Pressing a button to put the vehicle in 'Park' surprised me, but now it happens automatically.

I don't think so - although my memory is fading these days, lol. - I'm sure I've driven manual cars with reverse up, down, left, right and even lift to engage, over the last 50+ years - deliberately and accidently! 🤣

You don't even have to press park. Turning off does that too.

Back